follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
whitedc5

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
very nice
whitedc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whitedc5 For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #30
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Slow But Steady

10/21/2018:
Woke up at like 4 AM to wash my car so I could meet up with @spike021 and do a photo shoot. Stupid me forgot to charge my camera. Doh! I took a few shots with my cell phone and Josh had his camera so it wasn't all bad!

New beginnings

01/09/2019:
2019 started with a bang and a crash. Literally. My truck was stolen and the police found it smashed into a pole and a tree. Apparently there were some witnesses though so the police have been looking to find who took it. Luckily, most of my belongings that were in the truck, were still in the truck. Really not how I wanted to start the year! That truck has been in my family since new in 2006 so it has a lot of sentimental value. Insurance totaled it out. I have full coverage on the vehicle though. I learned that lesson the hard way with previous vehicles I have owned. I don't care if it seems silly or a waste of money, I am so glad I had full coverage. I did not have any money saved or budgeted for a new car right now, so insurance cutting me a check for the value will help cover the cost of a replacement vehicle.

As you can see, all the airbags deployed and the front right strut was demolished and pushed back. I wasn't planning on replacing this vehicle for another year or two. I have a few projects i'm working on for the BRZ that I had to pull funding from in order to purchase a new vehicle. The BRZ is my weekend/fun car and not my daily driver. I don't think it's a fun car to daily drive and it's certainly not a comfortable car to daily drive (After the mods I have done, I mean) so just being a one-vehicle person isn't in the cards for me. Being an adult sucks. #firstworldproblems

I am not one to dawdle or waste time. My brother let me borrow a truck to drive while I hunt for a new vehicle. But what to get? I knew my budget, 10K max. I know, it's not much. But this isn't an expense I needed right now, and I have my BRZ payments still. A more expensive vehicle will cut into my savings/car parts fund way more than I would be comfortable with.

My brother has a pretty nice 2016 Toyota Tacoma Sport. He bought it new with a manual gearbox. I knew this was way out of my price range, but replacing my "truck" (A ford escape is not really a truck, lets be clear) with another truck seems like my only option.

I should note; I don't really like domestic/american cars. So an f-150 or a silverado or something of that nature is out of the question. Toyota makes the worlds best trucks in my opinion, so I needed to start looking at their offerings and seeing what I could afford.

As much as I would like a crew cab tacoma, I need something that is enclosed so I can haul stuff and/or store stuff out of the elements. I think camper shells are ugly and tacky so a truck is out of the question. I needed another SUV. That leaves us with a few different options; 4runner, sequoia, or land cruiser. I've always loved 3rd gen 4runners. 4wd, strong v6, great looks, tons of aftermarket and a big community to boot. Only problem is they are starting to show their age and rust/bad paint is a problem with them. I didn't want to buy a money pit right off the bat, or another project car. I needed something that I could daily from the get go and just do the usual maintenance with upgrades to suit my life down the line.

What I needed from this new vehicle:
Something strong and reliable that I could daily drive, and also take on trips.
Something that could go high mileage without a hiccup, as I am not one to replace cars that frequently. I would rather fix up and keep running a car I enjoy than swap it out for the latest and greatest.
Something that was 4wd like my escape was.
Something automatic so my girlfriend could drive it too.
Something that was a V8 so I could tow my BRZ to the track.

Well this narrowed my search down quite a lot. I started looking at Land Cruisers but I felt it was more car than I needed. A buddy of mine told me that the 4th gen 4runners came V8. Not sure how I didn't know this already, but it's probably because I think they are the ugliest generation of 4runner, haha!

Either way, I am an adult and sometimes you have to make adult decisions. So I bit the bullet.

I combed craigslist and cargurus to find a 4runner in the configuration that I wanted. This proved to be a difficult task. Most of these vehicle are higher mileage by now and in places with a lot of road salt; ie rust. I had trouble getting dealerships to take pictures of the undercarriage for me. Pro tip: if you want someone to buy a car and they ask for pictures, send them pictures.

I had found one at a toyota dealership in Chicago and they would NOT do a vehicle inspection for me. They told me I would have to find a local shop to do it. This proved difficult as well so I took it as a sign and looked elsewhere. I ran into this same issue at a number of dealerships so it raised some flags for me. Eventually I tried looking for a west coast vehicle.

There was one up in Seattle that wasn't the color I wanted (It was grey, not black) but ticked all the right boxes AND the sales person was willing to send me a video of the undercarriage. It looked good from the video as far as I could tell, and I sent it to a couple friends to check over to make sure. The car fax came out alright, it has a clean title but there was some damage reported. The exterior looks mint and so did the undercarriage from what I could tell so I used that to talk down the price down 2.5k from what they were asking. Well the dealer accepted my offer so now I am the proud owner of a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8 4x4!

This is the only picture I have of it on my phone right now. It's from the dealers site and there are more but i'll post them up later!
I wanted black but hey, the grey is not too bad! I could only find 3 black 4runners in this configuration on cargurus and they all probably had rust issues. Grey or red were my next two color choices. Sure I could of held out longer in hopes that I find a black one, but I am on borrowed time with my brothers truck so I needed to just make a decision. Sometimes you just need to not overthink it and take a chance!

Back to the program

01/23/2019:
The BRZ is "almost" track ready. One could argue it is track ready from the factory, but my abilities as a driver far exceed the cars in stock form. I'm not trying to come off as cocky or anything like that, i'm a really humble guy actually. I've read enough threads on here to see that other people had quickly reached the limit the car in stock form is capable of. If I am paying money to go round a track, I don't want to have to hold back or worry my car won't make it back home. I can easily drive below my and the cars limits on mountain roads near home, so why drive hours away and spend money to do it elsewhere?

Things left to do before the car is track ready:

Oil Cooler
Oil Pressure Gauge

Optional: 86 Nanny

Doesn't seem like much right? Well buying this "new" truck bit into my fund (and my tax return) a bit so it has delayed these a bit.

HOWEVER! I must get to the track this year. I've owned the car officially for two years now and only tracked it in 2017. 2018 was spent upgrading the brakes and a few other things but I never got around to getting on the track. I had already reached the limitations of the stock oil system so an upgrade is needed before I can drive the car any harder.

I've decided to go with the Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler setup. It's a very clean, easy install, and made to be a straight drop in bolt on affair. I am all for innovative products that work well. What I like about this setup is that it helps brings the oil temps up faster (ie less year and tear on cold starts) and it keeps the oil/water temps in symbiosis with each other. Also; shorter oil cooler lines = less drop in oil pressure. This radiator is track proven, even on boosted cars so I feel it is the perfect choice for my needs.

But, if i'm being responsible, it's not budget right now. I am focusing on the other couple items on the list; oil pressure gauge, 86 Nanny.

Adding gauges to the brz is something i've thought about a lot. I bought one of those crappy joying headunits from china just so I could run Torque Pro and monitor stuff straight from the ODB. Sadly, you cannot monitor oil pressure from the ODB so I am resorting to other means.

I really enoy this Gauge Pod Setup by ortizcustompods. It's very clean and OEM looking, which is what I am going for with the interior.
They offer it in a single pod version as well so I went ahead and put the order in for that! It's about a 5-6 week lead time since they are made to order so I have a little bit of time before it arrives.

I hit up the trusty autoharnesshouse to build me a jumper harness so I can easily run power to my gauge without having to cut or splice or tap my stock wiring. Something I am adamant about is not cutting into or splicing any of the stock wiring harness, so hooking up electronics takes a bit more effort but very worth while in the end to have something built right without fear of failure (or fire).

(Not the one I ordered but very very similar, will take and post a picture once I receive it)

I used Defi Racer Gauges in my 240sx and loved them, so it seemed fitting to carry that tradition over to this new car. I'll be purchasing a Defi Red Racer Oil Pressure Gauge

Simple and it will match the red interior lights well!

For the the 86 Nanny, this is more of a want than a need. I have been getting by with just "holding down the button for 3 seconds" but I know that doesn't fully disable the TC, nor does it affect the ABS.

I need something that could be turn off with the flick of a switch. Sadly getting an 86 Nanny seems tough these days. As luck would have it though, I came across someone on the forums who was thinking about selling theirs so I told them I would buy it when they were ready. Well I got the message I had been waiting for last week and he was ready to sell!

Originally I was planning to run a couple toggle or rocker switches to control it. I bought the the really nice Toggle Switch Insert in blank form, as I was still hashing out the plans for the Nanny. I am all about clean, functional, and oem looking interiors so this fit the bill.

However! Plans change. The owner of the 86 Nanny I was buying informed me his was a custom model that uses a single monetary push button switch to control everything instead of toggles or rockers. This is actually a huge benefit in my book! Since I own a push-to-start brz, I have a blank spot where my ignition would be! I plan to attach this button to that spot. I feel like this is the perfect place for something of this nature. It's out of the way and will not accidentally be pushed by anyone. It is programmed for: 1 press = pedal dance + TPMS disable, 2 press = PD + TPMS + ABS off, 1 hold = fans on high until held again.
Simple and easy!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush

Last edited by JeremyR; 08-01-2019 at 05:25 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-23-2019), MCTeeJ (01-23-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #31
JeremyR

Luxury Items

04/01/2019:
I wasn't going to upgrade the interior anymore for a while, but the way my mind works is this: I had the stereo removed already, I was also upgrading to the tS black interior bits, so I might as well install an armrest while I'm at it! I bought a alcantara armrest off ebay.. The fabric is nice but you can tell the quality is a bit lacking with the plastic. Going OEM and having it re-done would of been costly so this is a sacrifice I had to make.

Since I had the center console out, I decided to bolt on the new armrest with hardware I got from home depot. It's a nice solid install and the armest looks and feels great!

The OEM template worked good but getting it taped on in place was tough. I didn't want the armrest to be crooked. It came out good and I did have to do some eyeballing to get it as straight as possible.

Looks great and feels good! Should of came factory.

I bought a 2017+ CF style climate control panel from a guy on FB marketplace for 20 bucks! SO I swapped that in too while I had the interior ripped apart.

This looks REALLY GOOD with the tS interior bits. They are a subtle black gloss sparkle. I enjoy them more than the flat black ones I had previously. Those look good, but these look better
I damaged my ebrake handle when removing the stock button last year and it has always bothered my OCD-ness. Since I had the interior ripped apart, I figured I would send it away to SWEIDIT to have to redone.

I had it wrapped in Perforated leather to match the steering wheel!

It looks great and feels great. I have plans to get the OEM wheel re-done by them as well, so this will look awesome with it. I have had them do other interior bits for me in the past so I always love to send DIY and small independent businesses in the industry my money and support.

I also had the headunit out to try and see if I could fix the touchscreen issue. I fixed a couple loose pieces but nothing seemed to fix the problem. Thankfully past me set up the unit so the Torque Pro app starts on startup, so the gauges still work lol. cant use the stereo or anything so no music kind of sucks for longer drives

I finally got around to replacing my HID bulbs. The drivers side light has been going out for months now and I can't get it to stay on. There is a thread here about other people with the diode dynamic hid bulbs also having this issue.. Also, my always-on-module has been tweaking out and the drl's will flash when the headlights are on, but stay solid when not. I believe something is wrong with the unit and will be removing it and returning it for hopefully a replacement, as I do like it a lot.

I said fuck it and bought these Philips bulbs. They were expensive but damn do they work good! PURE white, and I mean PURE white. No blue at all, and they throw a lot farther than the previous ones I had. Worth the investment for sure.

Washed the car as well after getting everything back together

Progress

04/11/2019:
Spent Mother's Day Weekend working on the car. I didn't get everything done I had planned as I ran into some roadblocks.

Disclaimer: I am a horrible photographer and the pictures I took suck, but I will share them anyway because It's the content not the quality here that matters.

The agenda for the weekend:

Install Oil Pressure Gauge
Install 86 Nanny
Install STI Badge
Install Door Jam Bolt Cover
Install Door Hinge Cover
Install Registration Sticker
Install New HID Bulbs

Replace Oil/Filter
Replace Missing Under Panel Screws
Replace Missing Under Body Plugs
Replace Missing Bumper Clips
Remove Broken Always-On-Module

I started early Saturday morning with my oil change. I use Mobil1 0w40 and an HKS oil filter. The Mobil1 is a bit heavy but I do not daily this car and it is mostly used for hard driving so a thicker weight helps keep the temps down and the pressure up. I'm a sucker for anything HKS so their oil filter is a must have. It is also magnetized to help remove anything from the oil.

Hover mode activated! Got the car up in the air for the oil change and to replace a few clips that were missing. Nothing major but hey a missing clip is a missing clip.

I found this bee? wasp? nest attached to the rear subframe. I am starting my own small batch honey brand so bee on the lookout

A member on here was selling a STI badge so I swooped on it. I was planning on one anyway but this one is in awesome shape so woo hoo!

Install was pretty easy with the car off the ground. I removed the two lower plastic panels to get access to the back of the bumper. It looks a little crooked but I haven't check it out on flat ground yet so more to follow on that..

Installing the oil pressure gauge came next and that proved to be a bit tricky...

I bought a DEFI Red Racer Oil Pressure Gauge. I've used DEFI gauges in the past and they have always been a great choice. High quality parts with easy to follow instructions and come with sensors so it's a plug and play type deal.

I had autoharnesshouse build me a splitter/lead/breakaway harness for the DEFI gauge. One thing I am adamant about on cars, especially newer ones, is to not cut or splice anything into the cars chassis harness. I've seen way too many poor wiring jobs that have wrecked cars and created tons of headaches in the past that I will never cut into a cars harness.

The harness came built as I requested it and it was as simple as soldering the DEFI harness into this one, and plugging it into the BRZ 10-pin harness for the stereo.

I am all for clean, oem like installs so getting the ortizcustompod to house the gauge was a no brainer

This makes great use of unused space! Plus, it keeps the oil pressure in a good sight line as well for quick glances.

The DEFI sensor plugs right into the stock oil galley plug, with an adapter purchased from rallysportdirect. Running the wire into the cabin was via the harness plug near the drivers side footwell. There is a nipple like part that you can snip off and run wires through. This sounds easy but I had a hell of a time and used a coat hanger to do it. That rubber is tough and thick!

The next challenge was installing the panel/gauge itself.

This was a roadblock for sure. There is NO space for a gauge behind the panel. Maybe if I had a smaller gauge, the DEFI does stick out a ways.

The only remedy to this was cutting a hole in my dash.

Sounds sketchy, but the plastic was pretty thin and there is nothing behind it. I did have to remove the gauge cluster in order to get the hole big enough. I did some trial and error to make the hole as small as possible.

This is what we end up with. Not too bad, but kind of a bummer my dash has a hole it in. I guess you can really consider my car modified now!

My dog always love to help with the installs, here he is hard at work!

Next up is the 86 Nanny install!

This was pretty easy, just annoying because you have to crawl under the drivers seat dash. I'm getting old so doing this gets annoying quick.
I mentioned previously that I bought the 86 Nanny used from a member here. Everything is setup with a black single push button. I was planning for toggles or switches, but this actually worked out even better, so I jumped on the seller when I saw in a thread he might be getting rid of it. It is programmed for: 1 press = pedal dance + TPMS disable, 2 press = PD + TPMS + ABS off, 1 hold = fans on high until held again.

Simple and easy!

The unit was in great shape! no visible damage and everything looked to be in working order.

I used a step bit and took my time to get the placement and size just right. It isn't dead center, I was lazy and eyeballed it. It's close enough and it's really not that noticeable at all so who cares. I did buy an extra plug just incase but I ended up not using it.

My main worry was that there wouldn't be enough space behind the plug, but this switch is really small. I feel like it was fate this particular 86Nanny went on sale, as this wasn't a standard option for them

Looks super clean! No switches or anything to accidentally touch, or for passengers to play with. Easy to use without moving your hand too far from the driving position either. I haven't road tested it yet, but I did do a function test and everything works flawlessly.

Next up is definitely the Jackson Racing Radiator/Oil Cooler!
...or maybe a new stereo.. the touchscreen is unresponsive :\

To be continued..

REALMS BRZ Build Thread

Last edited by JeremyR; 05-22-2019 at 07:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-23-2019), MCTeeJ (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #32
Huevo_blanco

Drives: 89 240sx hatch and 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Subscribed . Good build thread
Huevo_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huevo_blanco For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #33
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevo_blanco View Post
Subscribed . Good build thread

Thanks man! I Appreciate it!

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #34
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
hehe MIB reference. As always, great stuff.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #35
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
hehe MIB reference. As always, great stuff.

Glad someone caught it! hahaha

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
MCTeeJ (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 AM   #36
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Nice mods, Jeremy! Very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #37
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Nice mods, Jeremy! Very well done.

Thanks man! Will I see you at SKO next weekend?

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #38
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Thanks man! Will I see you at SKO next weekend?

Yes, I will be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #39
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Nice thread. I looked through it but the combination of lots of pics and slow ass work internet makes the progress slow. My question was - your head unit has built in monitoring for fluid temperatures and such? How come I’ve never seen this before...
JeremyR (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #40
JeremyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Nice thread. I looked through it but the combination of lots of pics and slow ass work internet makes the progress slow. My question was - your head unit has built in monitoring for fluid temperatures and such? How come I’ve never seen this before...

Sorry about that! I tried to keep everything on the first page so people don't need to go through 32454 pages to see the progress.

The head unit is a joying unit I bought from aliexpress. It is an android based OS, so I have the Torque Pro app running. The headunit has a 2 rear usb ports, so I have a ODB to USB connector on their pulling that data for the "gauges" There are TONS of options monitoring wise but the ones I picked seemed to suit my needs best.

This thread has A LOT of info on the app:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23530

Page for the app itself; you can get it in the app store for free, but there is a pro version for like 5 bucks or so with a lot more options
https://torque-bhp.com/

This thread has info on the headunit install:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128374

I have a 2015 model, but the install is almost the same.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #41
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Sorry about that! I tried to keep everything on the first page so people don't need to go through 32454 pages to see the progress.

The head unit is a joying unit I bought from aliexpress. It is an android based OS, so I have the Torque Pro app running. The headunit has a 2 rear usb ports, so I have a ODB to USB connector on their pulling that data for the "gauges" There are TONS of options monitoring wise but the ones I picked seemed to suit my needs best.

This thread has A LOT of info on the app:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23530

Page for the app itself; you can get it in the app store for free, but there is a pro version for like 5 bucks or so with a lot more options
https://torque-bhp.com/

This thread has info on the headunit install:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128374

I have a 2015 model, but the install is almost the same.
Awesome, much appreciated!
JeremyR (05-25-2019)