follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your Rotrex Unit on your Jackson Racing Supercharger?
No, and I have a C38-81 with 10,000 Miles or less 7 18.92%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C38-81 with 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 25,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
No, and I have a C30-94 with 50,000 Miles or more 6 16.22%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 3 8.11%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 1 2.70%
Yes, and my C38-81 lasted 50,000 miles or more 0 0%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 10,000 Miles or less 4 10.81%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 25,000 Miles or less 2 5.41%
Yes, and my C30-94 lasted 50,000 Miles or more 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #29
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Sprintex is twin screw. I said that TVS which is roots is near silent. I wouldn't say the TVS blowers run hot but IAT's are higher from what I noticed and I also noticed more loss of power on the street with hot temps but there was also more power to lose.
Ah, misread the quietness being both a pro and a con. As for the IATs they will always be high with FI I'd assume. Though I don't know which two (or however many) you are comparing.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #30
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here is a head to head comparison of different FI applications on the Twin. The pros and cons line up to what I already knew about 1320 TVS vs Rotrex. This is different from I what see being presented in this thread.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...n-86-showdown/
The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
mistople (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #31
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Here is a head to head comparison of different FI applications on the Twin. The pros and cons line up to what I already knew about 1320 TVS vs Rotrex. This is different from I what see being presented in this thread.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...n-86-showdown/
Am I wrong or is the only thing those cars had in common was the tire setup? Everything else suspension, aero and driver were different. Not the best for a true comparison test.

Whoever says Rotrex doesn’t make noise must be deaf. They squeal loud at idle like any other centri and when you let off throttle it sounds like a 747 is about to land. I kind of liked it but my wife not so much...

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 11-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #32
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
JR FRS with JRSC won SCCA championship. You don't know what you are talking about.
lol of course. I don't know what I'm talking about. My experience is completely irrelevant. This is why I don't comment on forums anymore because people like you. Thanks for your completely non helpful comment. Noob.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #33
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Because cost of entry of a trackable turbo setup is double that of a trackable supercharger setup.
idk how it's double? I just looked just from comparing kits to kits. JRSC is 4k. I got my JDL turbo kit for 4500 with a GTX2860r. So everything else that goes along with any force induction setup, I think costs are going to be pretty similar. So I don't know where it's double? Not arguing with you, just wanted to see what I'm missing.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
idk how it's double? I just looked just from comparing kits to kits. JRSC is 4k. I got my JDL turbo kit for 4500 with a GTX2860r. So everything else that goes along with any force induction setup, I think costs are going to be pretty similar. So I don't know where it's double? Not arguing with you, just wanted to see what I'm missing.
"just a JDL kit" is not trackable.

If I were to track your car, even at a very casual pace, there would be some serious problems in your engine bay, including a lot of melting and overheating issues.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #35
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
I'll comment since I've had a rotrex before and now have gone turbo. Why even go supercharger? Why not get a small, properly sized turbo? There are turbos that offer a better compressor efficiency. Rotrex just doesn't make sense on these cars.

If you want to talk about linearity sure, but even a GTX2860r will provide you a flat torque curve too.

I've gone down the supercharger route. Even though I never had a jackson, but a kraftwerks (for almost 3 years AND yes I tracked it), I will say supercharging is a waste of time. You can get more power out of less PSI on a turbo, and have a similar torque curve. You don't have to worry about belt slip, belt snap, supercharger unicorn oil, or any of these rotrex failures. With a turbo, all you need is proper coolant/oil routing and that's it. And you can even change boost with your cruise control stalk... no need to mess around with pullies... I'm not saying jackson is a bad kit. I'm just saying turbocharging just makes way more sense. Believe me, I've gone through the process already and I will never supercharge again.

The root cause for the reason why it takes so long is because Rotrex is based out of Denmark... all the time it has to ship and go through customs, etc and then the amount of time to diagnose and ship back.
A few of those supercharger downsides go away with the TVS systems.

One of the reasons I chose TVS over turbo was that the additional power offered by a turbo would put me into a power range that I don't want to be in for engine/trans durability.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #36
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
"just a JDL kit" is not trackable.

If I were to track your car, even at a very casual pace, there would be some serious problems in your engine bay, including a lot of melting and overheating issues.
well ok comparing it that way "just the kit" yea. I completely agree with you. I wouldn't even feel comfortable tracking with "just a kit". JRSC or anything else, I suppose you could, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I think the point that I was trying to get at is if anyone is getting on the track I don't believe in a "bare minimum", but ensuring you car has the supporting mods to withstand the beating.

I don't doubt your driving skill, but I've done everything possible to combat overheating. To be honest I'd love to see you drive my car to see what it's really made out of. I'm pretty confident though it shouldn't give you any problems.

Just to compare pricing my kit came coated for the price I paid which was pretty similar to the JRSC kit since I bought it during black friday last year. I already had hood vents on the car prior to the turbo. The ONLY thing that was upgraded on the car to compliment my turbo kit was the verus rad and a turbo blanket. I only purchased those things since yes, I was overheating two laps in so that proves your point, so I will say that. With those two things, that puts me roughly 1700 over the JRSC. However, I think with all that installed, I really don't think you could overheat the car or melt any wires. Again, not trying to argue, but given what's been done to the car, to you just to state you can overheat it I have my doubts, not disrespecting your driving, but I think before you can make statements like that you should at least know what my build consists of.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #37
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
A few of those supercharger downsides go away with the TVS systems.

One of the reasons I chose TVS over turbo was that the additional power offered by a turbo would put me into a power range that I don't want to be in for engine/trans durability.
that reason makes perfectly good sense. that was what my reasoning was when I first went supercharger, but my engine still let go.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #38
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
well ok comparing it that way "just the kit" yea. I completely agree with you. I wouldn't even feel comfortable tracking with "just a kit". JRSC or anything else, I suppose you could, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I think the point that I was trying to get at is if anyone is getting on the track I don't believe in a "bare minimum", but ensuring you car has the supporting mods to withstand the beating.

I don't doubt your driving skill, but I've done everything possible to combat overheating. To be honest I'd love to see you drive my car to see what it's really made out of. I'm pretty confident though it shouldn't give you any problems.

Just to compare pricing my kit came coated for the price I paid which was pretty similar to the JRSC kit since I bought it during black friday last year. I already had hood vents on the car prior to the turbo. The ONLY thing that was upgraded on the car to compliment my turbo kit was the verus rad and a turbo blanket. I only purchased those things since yes, I was overheating two laps in so that proves your point, so I will say that. With those two things, that puts me roughly 1700 over the JRSC. However, I think with all that installed, I really don't think you could overheat the car or melt any wires. Again, not trying to argue, but given what's been done to the car, to you just to state you can overheat it I have my doubts, not disrespecting your driving, but I think before you can make statements like that you should at least know what my build consists of.
I would be comfortable tracking with a JRSC + JROC with no other supporting mods. In fact, thats the exact combo that won a national championship racing!

On the other hands, turbo setups involve turbo manifolds, which add a lot of hot piping in your engine bay. Try doing a hard run, popping your hood, and keeping your hand 6 inches away from your turbo manifold and/or downpipe, for any extended period of time. Now look at some plastic components in your engine bay, that are even closer, and are next to that manifold much longer.

This particular fan melted in what I recall to be maybe 40-45F ambient temps at the track. We pulled in because something was smoking in the engine bay. Turns out it was wiring and plastics in direct line of sight to the manifold. This manifold was ceramic coated.

Some of the IL/Chicago Midwest 86CUP guys have been discussing bringing me out for a weekend to get feedback on cars, driving, setup, etc. You may want to coordinate with them!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #39
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
lol of course. I don't know what I'm talking about. My experience is completely irrelevant. This is why I don't comment on forums anymore because people like you. Thanks for your completely non helpful comment. Noob.
Oh please tell how did you blow your engine. Share your "experience".
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #40
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Oh please tell how did you blow your engine. Share your "experience".
you don't have to be a smartass.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6y3dWz6p8s[/ame]

this is one track event out of many that I never bothered recording since I was just getting started. This was 2 and 1/2 years in with the supercharger and about 10k miles with the kit and almost 40k on the engine. . I'm not blaming the kit for blowing up the engine, nor the tune, but probably rather a combination of the two and thrashing the car racing. feel free to watch my other videos on my channel. I'm not new to this.

do you have even track you car? you come off of as some guy as if you know better than everyone else. I'm providing legitimate facts and very valid experience, you have provided none of that for the OP.

Quote:
I would be comfortable tracking with a JRSC + JROC with no other supporting mods. In fact, thats the exact combo that won a national championship racing!

On the other hands, turbo setups involve turbo manifolds, which add a lot of hot piping in your engine bay. Try doing a hard run, popping your hood, and keeping your hand 6 inches away from your turbo manifold and/or downpipe, for any extended period of time. Now look at some plastic components in your engine bay, that are even closer, and are next to that manifold much longer.

This particular fan melted in what I recall to be maybe 40-45F ambient temps at the track. We pulled in because something was smoking in the engine bay. Turns out it was wiring and plastics in direct line of sight to the manifold. This manifold was ceramic coated.

Some of the IL/Chicago Midwest 86CUP guys have been discussing bringing me out for a weekend to get feedback on cars, driving, setup, etc. You may want to coordinate with them!
I agree with you on the stock fan thing. This was another reason why I upgraded to the verus rad, as there's clearance and I don't have those problems. That's fair, I didn't know it was that car that just had a JRSC and oil cooler kit was all that was.

The point I was trying to make, if one can be patient and shop and look for deals; I'm 2k over that JRSC racing setup, sure pricing and people's build may differ, but I'm hardpressed that it's double. I can agree that it costs more though with a turbo. For what it's worth, and this is what it ultimately comes down to is people's own opinion on things whether or not they want a supercharger, which supercharger and turbo and which turbo. However, to get back to OPs statement, I never had a jrsc kit like I've already stated and wanted to share my general experience with rotrex units. Same applies when it comes to supercharger oil maintenance (which isn't that bad, it's just another thing to have to check), and when the unit fails needing it to go back to denmark to get it fixed, not being able to change boost unless you change out a pulley. And for what it's worth, I may have missed it, but I'm not even sure if the OP is tracking. To be honest, OP has nothing to be worried about even with a couple of track days and mainly DD just with a JRSC.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 11-28-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
you don't have to be a smartass.

this is one track event out of many that I never bothered recording since I was just getting started. This was 2 and 1/2 years in with the supercharger and about 10k miles with the kit and almost 40k on the engine. . I'm not blaming the kit for blowing up the engine, nor the tune, but probably rather a combination of the two and thrashing the car racing. feel free to watch my other videos on my channel. I'm not new to this.

do you have even track you car? you come off of as some guy as if you know better than everyone else. I'm providing legitimate facts and very valid experience, you have provided none of that for the OP.

I agree with you on the stock fan thing. This was another reason why I upgraded to the verus rad, as there's clearance and I don't have those problems. That's fair, I didn't know it was that car that just had a JRSC and oil cooler kit was all that was.

The point I was trying to make, if one can be patient and shop and look for deals; I'm 2k over that JRSC racing setup, sure pricing and people's build may differ, but I'm hardpressed that it's double. I can agree that it costs more though with a turbo. For what it's worth, and this is what it ultimately comes down to is people's own opinion on things whether or not they want a supercharger, which supercharger and turbo and which turbo. However, to get back to OPs statement, I never had a jrsc kit like I've already stated and wanted to share my general experience with rotrex units. Same applies when it comes to supercharger oil maintenance (which isn't that bad, it's just another thing to have to check), and when the unit fails needing it to go back to denmark to get it fixed, not being able to change boost unless you change out a pulley. And for what it's worth, I may have missed it, but I'm not even sure if the OP is tracking. To be honest, OP has nothing to be worried about even with a couple of track days and mainly DD just with a JRSC.
This is what I could understand so far.
- you had Kraftwerks
- you took your car to track
- made videos
- blew the engine
- and you like turbo over Rotrex since then

That is the experience you shared so far.
Do you have a video of the moment you blew that engine? That would be cool too. I wanna see that.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #42
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
This is what I could understand so far.
- you had Kraftwerks
- you took your car to track
- made videos
- blew the engine
- and you like turbo over Rotrex since then

That is the experience you shared so far.
Do you have a video of the moment you blew that engine? That would be cool too. I wanna see that.
you clearly didn't watch the whole video... if you watched it until the end then you would have seen that happened. you're clearly missing my point. rotrex to rotrex jrsc or not have similarities. oil, maintenance, swapping boost pulleys to change boost settings, possible belt slip, BPV failures (JRSC specific you want to go there), having to ship to denmark for failure, and not to mention the compressor efficiency. Do you even know how to read those graphs? I'm simply just comparing pros and cons of turbo and supercharger at this point. Instead of ripping my opinions and details apart, why don't you provide some helpful info.

again like i stated in my last post, JRSC should be just fine for DD and CSGMike has said it's doable with JRSC and JROC for track duty. all I'm pointing out is that there are things to think about due to my experience that I have had with a c38, not once did I ever mention anything about a kraftwerks specific problem. Some people miss the few things stated above when it comes to supercharging vehicles which is why I'm sharing it since I've had experienced both setups before c38 and turbo.

how about you show us something informative? do you have any track videos? do you have a build thread? provide something helpful for the OP.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 11-28-2018 at 12:43 PM.