follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #141
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
I didn't know you were an auto too. Do you ever make it out to Piggly's on Wednesday nights?
Have once for just a few minutes (picking up dinner for the fam). I'm not really a "car guy" per se so didn't feel like I had much to contribute.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldpueblo For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #142
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
I am only bitter that you bought an automatic and are supporting the sales and production of the auto transmission, which contrary to everything said in this thread, is killing sports cars. Learn to drive stick, everyone, please.

On a side note, I am glad OP is happy with his car, I just wish this was like the Focus and Fiesta ST.....6 speed manual only!
To be fair, as the total # of car sale increase better for both MT/AT.

Start driving bikes (manual) at 5, cars at 9 (also stick), currently at midlife and most likely would never buy an AT car ever! But if as good as the FRS/BRZ... Mmmm well this is my second FRS so go and figure out

So if you like it, enjoy!

I'm looking forward to a car that really match the FRS/BRZ. That will be nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #143
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
Have once for just a few minutes (picking up dinner for the fam). I'm not really a "car guy" per se so didn't feel like I had much to contribute.
I totally get that. For me it's not as much about having something constructive to contribute as much as just seeing what people are doing to their cars, and meeting folks. Sometimes Lisa and I show up on our motorcycles (bike night is also on one Wednesday a month). There are also quite a few stock 86s, so it's not a crazy custom car show either.

Plus who can pass up a fried Twinkie at Piggly's?!? hahaha
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #144
BobRickel

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love my AT 86. It is my DD and the Auto suits me perfectly. It drives great on the streets in Florida or in the twisties of the mountain roads.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #145
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Tight, fast, and active curvaceous roads is where the twins come alive and the auto loves them more than the sticks do. Stick to what this car was made for. You. No one else. It was made for your driving pleasure and nothing else.
The automatic transmission loves curvy roads more than the manual transmission?

Do tell.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #146
EZx2

Drives:
Quote:

Do tell.
You should try, it does!
It just gives you the feeling of being in control in every 200msec ;-]
So you less "panic", and easily 'clicking down' in order to get max. available RPM (error proof, since it will beep on max. )

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by EZx2; 07-17-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #147
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Do tell.
rev matching downshift, quicker shifts across the board, and both hands on the wheel at all time (less crashing) duuuuhhhh. Lol
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #148
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I mean at the end of the day if your having fun in your car, and have the biggest retard smile on your face, don't worry if its a manual or auto. Before i knew how to drive manual i would always tell everyone to buy one. Now after i took the time to learn it, i really don't care what others drive anymore. On a side note, when your playing around 5k rpm in third gear and 4th gear, there's nothing else like it. <3 <3
Snowball (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #149
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZx2 View Post
You should try, it does!
It just gives you the feeling of being in control in every 200msec ;-]
So you less "panic", and easily 'clicking down' in order to get max. available RPM (error proof, since it will beep on max. )

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4
Yea, but there really is no other way to describe how i feel when im coming into a corner and i "clutch in, rev match, down shift, VROOOOM, clutch out, car gets in gear at around 4k rpm, get out of a corner and get that 80% of the twins full power right away."
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #150
Masago88

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD, '98 Camry
I grew up with learning/doing a lot of hand-eye coordination things - piano/guitar/violin, lots of video games. Competitive Starcraft, CS, fighting games, platformers, etc. I'm very happy that I bought the Manual, even if this was a more expensive car say - a porsche, with a DCT option, even if I performed far better with a DCT. There's a lot of nuances that you just can't describe and everyone experiences these nuances differently - not only with the car, but with anything regarding hand-eye coordination. Having driven an auto for years - why not try something new?

When I finally grew comfortable shifting, revving, downshifting, Rev-Matching and all that, it feels very much like a video game to me at times - only it's one of the few things where your hand eye-coordination translates into real control over something in real life. Maybe that's why I don't really appreciate new video games these days - just too automated/easy, none of the struggle. To me it feels like playing Starcraft without any hotkeys.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #151
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masago88 View Post
I grew up with learning/doing a lot of hand-eye coordination things - piano/guitar/violin, lots of video games. Competitive Starcraft, CS, fighting games, platformers, etc. I'm very happy that I bought the Manual, even if this was a more expensive car say - a porsche, with a DCT option, even if I performed far better with a DCT. There's a lot of nuances that you just can't describe and everyone experiences these nuances differently - not only with the car, but with anything regarding hand-eye coordination. Having driven an auto for years - why not try something new?

When I finally grew comfortable shifting, revving, downshifting, Rev-Matching and all that, it feels very much like a video game to me at times - only it's one of the few things where your hand eye-coordination translates into real control over something in real life. Maybe that's why I don't really appreciate new video games these days - just too automated/easy, none of the struggle. To me it feels like playing Starcraft without any hotkeys.

I agree with this 100%. It's the visceral feel of a manual that I enjoy. I have been in love with the clutch since my first dirt bike at age 5. And first manual car at 11. It's a magic feeling when you get it right.

But when it comes down to faster around the track, I'll take my paddles.

Sent from a secret volcano base using trained sharks
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #152
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
But when it comes down to faster around the track, I'll take my paddles.
I did rush hour traffic for the first time today in my 6MT FR-S. Too much stop and go and lugging the car around in 1-3 gears. At that time I wish I had paddles and rest for my left foot.
kavanagh (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #153
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
I did rush hour traffic for the first time today in my 6MT FR-S. Too much stop and go and lugging the car around in 1-3 gears. At that time I wish I had paddles and rest for my left foot.

Yeah, traffic sucks the first few times. As you keep doing it though, you'll find a system that works for you and eventually you won't even notice it.

Sent from a secret volcano base using trained sharks
Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #154
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
An autobox can be shifted through a bend which is unwise in a manual.

Reason is the power flow is virtually uninterrupted during an automatic shift.

Apart from a little delay on a standing start the auto box is fantastic. Taller gear ratios across the gears make the automatic more drivable in the real world.

My manual shift always has that over eager, frenetic feeling like a terrier after my pant leg, fun for some of the time but can get a bit wearing when you get serious and want to actually get somewhere.

Closed Thread