follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #2857
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I will maintain my standard skeptical stand on any comments made during these "interviews". They have been well known to misquote or outright make shit up.
I find it hard to believe that after all this time and all the speculation on this the fact there will be two versions of the Supra comes out of the blue during an interview.
Won't be long before we know the reality anyway. If I was mistaken in my OPINION I will be glad to say so.
I don't know how you read that paragraph and believe it's misquoted or made-up. If so, that writer is out of a job. It's surprisingly specific.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-18-2018), ZDan (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #2858
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugeFatGuy View Post
Nah. Everything I've read says the Supra be ~3,400 lbs. With an estimated 350 hp, that's 4th gen Camaro performance (better handling and interior of course, but not great).
Nah, numbers don't mean shit. Can't compare american and Japanese engineering. Camaros are boats... I have a feeling the 4cyl supra will not be.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #2859
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
Nah, numbers don't mean shit. Can't compare american and Japanese engineering. Camaros are boats... I have a feeling the 4cyl supra will not be.
True that numbers only go so far, but all he was doing was comparing those numbers, not trying to say the cars are comparable by any other means. He even called out that the handling and interior would be better, which it can't help but be considering the youngest 4th gen Camaro out there is pushing 16 years old at this point. Every aspect of technology involved in cars has come a long way since then, but 350hp and 3500 lbs was nothing to turn your nose up at back then, still isn't really, and the Camaro was far less of a boat than it has turned into after returning from its "hiatus". But I don't think he was trying to say they're comparable beyond having similar power to weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
BigHugeFatGuy (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #2860
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I will maintain my standard skeptical stand on any comments made during these "interviews". They have been well known to misquote or outright make shit up.
I find it hard to believe that after all this time and all the speculation on this the fact there will be two versions of the Supra comes out of the blue during an interview.
Won't be long before we know the reality anyway. If I was mistaken in my OPINION I will be glad to say so.
Then you will be very interested in another interview that just happened. Notice that the wheelbase of the new Supra will be less than the 86 and will be "a more serious" sports car..... Hmmmmm..... So you really think Tada is making things up.... Hmmmmm.....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ws&date=071818

With a shorter wheelbase, however, I don't see how they are going to fit in those jump seats in back... I think they are gone...
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #2861
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
It's easy to have a shorter wheelbase when you don't have to be a 2+2 car. And being a "more serious" car than another doesn't really indicate in any way that in is replacing the other.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #2862
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Functional Vents!

I've seen multiple people criticize the design for having all of these "fake vents" and styling. Well, turns out they're there for a reason... It seems some are covered stock but can be removed "in case the user wants to make a racing version."

EDIT: Removed the link as it's probably not reliable info.

Last edited by Horrid_Funk; 07-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #2863
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
I don't know how you read that paragraph and believe it's misquoted or made-up. If so, that writer is out of a job. It's surprisingly specific.
They usually are.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #2864
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Then you will be very interested in another interview that just happened. Notice that the wheelbase of the new Supra will be less than the 86 and will be "a more serious" sports car..... Hmmmmm..... So you really think Tada is making things up.... Hmmmmm.....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ws&date=071818

With a shorter wheelbase, however, I don't see how they are going to fit in those jump seats in back... I think they are gone...
We knew the wheelbase was shorter many months ago. That is not news.

And where is his mention of a 4 in this "interview"?
HKz (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #2865
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
It's easy to have a shorter wheelbase when you don't have to be a 2+2 car. And being a "more serious" car than another doesn't really indicate in any way that in is replacing the other.
You're right, this has nothing to do with replacement -- I just thought it was an interesting factoid. It might also say that it will be as light as the 86. So I think that pricing may be key here. If the price of the 4 cyl turbo is in, let's say, the mid-30's, then replacing the 86 would make sense. If the price is in the mid-40's, then the 3 car argument does make sense. I just don't see Toyota being able to support 3 sports cars at the dealer level. There are a very large number of Toyota dealerships that will have to carry inventory...
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #2866
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Tada has been saying all along that there would be 3 Toyota sports cars. Speculation has been that the MR2 would be making a comeback but I have always been skeptical of that. It makes a weird kind of sense that they would leave the 86 as the low end sports car, the 4 cylinder "Supra" as the middle sports car and the 6 cylinder Supra as the top of the line sports car. My guess is that the price ranges will be $30K for the 86, 42-45K for the 4 cylinder and 55-63K for the 6 cylinder.

There have been rumors all along that the Supra would be a turbo 4 and there were rumors that the Supra would be a turbo inline 6. Maybe both were correct. We will see in a few more months.

I do not believe for a moment that the Supra 4, if it indeed exist, is intended to replace the 86. It is simply going to be too expensive.
And way back when he first started saying that there was going to be the SFR in the mix. Where did that go? Are we now talking about a 4 car sports line up?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #2867
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
True that numbers only go so far, but all he was doing was comparing those numbers, not trying to say the cars are comparable by any other means. He even called out that the handling and interior would be better, which it can't help but be considering the youngest 4th gen Camaro out there is pushing 16 years old at this point. Every aspect of technology involved in cars has come a long way since then, but 350hp and 3500 lbs was nothing to turn your nose up at back then, still isn't really, and the Camaro was far less of a boat than it has turned into after returning from its "hiatus". But I don't think he was trying to say they're comparable beyond having similar power to weight.
Right, and I am saying that even those "numbers" are incomparable. first of all 350hp@3500lbs. is probably wrong (For the 4cyl) but we obviously won't know until it comes out.
Also, Absolutely 350hp@3500lbs. is nothing to write home about when talking about an old american muscle car. However, imagine the same powere/weight ratio as a camaro delivered in as tight of a package as the FRS.. that to me, is something to write home about (Or "will be" I should say)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #2868
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
You're right, this has nothing to do with replacement -- I just thought it was an interesting factoid. It might also say that it will be as light as the 86. So I think that pricing may be key here. If the price of the 4 cyl turbo is in, let's say, the mid-30's, then replacing the 86 would make sense. If the price is in the mid-40's, then the 3 car argument does make sense.
Tthe 86 is currently 2776 lbs.

You're saying that a 4 Cyl Supra with turbo components, probably some nicer interior and more rigid parts will be as light as an 86? Not likely. All the (rumors) about the Supra so far are that it would be ~3300lbs. No way it could lose 500lbs by switching out a 6 cyl for a 4 cyl.

Quote:
I just don't see Toyota being able to support 3 sports cars at the dealer level. There are a very large number of Toyota dealerships that will have to carry inventory...
Toyota has supported 3 (different) sports cars at one time before.
Celica, MR2, and Supra in the early 90s.

86, 4 cyl Supra, and 6 cyl Supra are really only 2 different cars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-18-2018), HKz (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #2869
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Where is everyone getting this 3400lb figure from? Is it the Goodwood video? The SupraMKV forum leads me to believe the car will be closer to the 3100-3300 range, and 340 ish horsepower.

That’s not bad for something that is benchmarking against Porsches (lightweight+handling vs. raw power).

Anyone can make a big heavy car and slap a big V8 in to compensate. Heck, if Toyota wanted, they could make their own version of the new Lotus and use the same engine as the Camry. If it’s really 3400lbs...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #2870
rvoll

Quote:
We knew the wheelbase was shorter many months ago. That is not news.

And where is his mention of a 4 in this "interview"?
This interview was not about a 4 cyl version -- it was about the prototype. I guess you didn't get that.... And I guess EVERYONE on this forum knew about the shorter wheelbase. After all, who else spends day and night posting? If I would have spent all that time over the years immersed in this forum I might have known. I'll work harder in the future to catch up to the king of the forum who knows all and sees all....

And I'll watch for all of the firings and lawsuits against the publications that quote Tada.... Perhaps with all of his quotes, if not true, Tada will be fired??????

Back and forth aside, corporate decisions on the continuance of a product are done on a yearly, then quarterly, basis. They watch sales, run ROI analyses, calculate break evens, and also integrate with future plans. So on an existing line, information from even a year ago may not be relevant. Competition also plays a role. I suspect the introduction of the RF hurt 86 sales in the longer term. What is true today, may not have been true even 6 months ago. But new car introductions require lead times and CAPEX. They must be planned over the longer term. So the tidbits of information we get from internal sources (like Tada) do have relevance. But information on the declination of existing products are much less reliable because those decisions are generally shorter term, competitive product acceptance is not known, and sales may show a lot of short term variance.

Thus, no matter what what said about keeping an existing product even 6 months ago, the decision may well change based on current sales data. Current volume of the 86 is declining much more rapidly than a normal decay curve would predict. Thus the likelihood of the 86 being discontinued would be significantly increased. Also, in this case, as time evolves, the company can gauge the pricing on new products, like the Supra, and determine the cannibalization from existing brands. There will be a segment of Supra buyers, like me, who may purchase it instead of the 86 even with a significant upcharge.

For those reasons, I do think it is highly probable that the 86 will be discontinued over the next couple of years. Obviously, companies will not comment on product discontinuations because it would hurt sales. So there will be virtually no corroborative information.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose