follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #365
davisk6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritty250 View Post
Open your hood and look at the engine, mine has an inconsistent idle so I looked under the hood, on my car you can see the AC pump engaging for about 2 seconds at a time every 5 seconds which is why it idles weird, The AC isnt on but for whatever reason it turns on the pump anyways. That seems to be my issue and I couldnt find anyone else saying this in the 17 pages (I did not read them all)
Do you have your climate control set to "Full AUTO"? If you do, the AC will kick in to dehumidify the air occasionally, even with the "AC" button off. Says so in the manual.
davisk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davisk6 For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #366
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisk6 View Post
Do you have your climate control set to "Full AUTO"? If you do, the AC will kick in to dehumidify the air occasionally, even with the "AC" button off. Says so in the manual.
I thought the FR-S doesn't have climate control.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #367
davisk6

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
I'm sure it has climate control, just not the automatic.

Here's another suggestion, did you have the front window defroster on? The car will use AC to help dehumidify the windshield.
davisk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #368
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisk6 View Post
I'm sure it has climate control, just not the automatic.

Here's another suggestion, did you have the front window defroster on? The car will use AC to help dehumidify the windshield.
Hmm, I'll have to check this again .. I only remember twisting the knobs for the AC 0-4 heh.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #369
Tritty250
Banned

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Idk i turned my fans off and set the vents to just straight forward and the temp gauge to striaght up and now my idle is steady at 600rpm perfect
Tritty250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #370
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
I'm over 1800 miles and I'm still getting the problem. No missfires lately, and no cel yet, but it's not going away.
I never had a single mis-fire... personally, I'd take that in to the dealer.
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #371
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaba View Post
If this ECU learning thing would be happening it would be mentioned in the manual ...so people don't freak out!
All modern ECUs learn.. constantly.. operating parameters are constantly adjusted based on the way you drive, environmental factors, fuel.. everything.

From a reset (baseline values for operations) it's been known to take days for an ecu to learn what's best for economy, power, detonation, etc...
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #372
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I definitely noticed this today in stop-and-go traffic during rush hour. I was trying to think what parameters would cause this and why the engine might respond this way:
  • It was fairly hot outside (90*F) and I wasn't moving that quick (water temp showed medium like normal).
  • AC might have been on (fan speed 1 or 2), can't remember.
  • I was in first gear but mostly rolling downhill slightly with the clutch pressed in fully.
  • Once I got up to some speed (10mph or so), I'd roll in first/second gear and engine brake back down and repeat.

So next time it happens try to note temperature, AC on/off (or fan), your gear, and recent driving (if you came from high speed, have been low-speed rolling, etc). While Toyota/Subaru figure this out on their end, we can try to solidify why it occurs, whether or not it's intended behavior.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #373
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
For the BRZ.
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #374
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
That's weird.
It might do this if you have the fan set to defrost. I mean so that the air is not blowing on your feet or arms, but just on the inside of the bottom of the windshield. It might turn on the ac compressor in this setting to dehumidify things. Try to put the fan on arms/legs setting and check the compressor. The AC light wont be on but the AC compressor could be.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #375
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
It might do this if you have the fan set to defrost. I mean so that the air is not blowing on your feet or arms, but just on the inside of the bottom of the windshield. It might turn on the ac compressor in this setting to dehumidify things. Try to put the fan on arms/legs setting and check the compressor. The AC light wont be on but the AC compressor could be.

You mean people are posting complaints here and they don't even know if their ac or their defroster is on?

Good luck getting to the bottom of that abyss.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #376
whiteout fr-s

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s whiteout
Garage
Thumbs down so the FR-S is done

Well, I got the car back this last Monday after they "fixed" the issue. 6 Technicians were flown in from Japan to look at my car and they determined it was the VVTR control valve. They replaced the valve, drove the car "lightly" for 80 miles and told me it was good to go.

I drove the car to my house, about 30 minutes away or 15 miles (In Boston traffic) and decided to pick up my girlfriend and go for a drive through a nice windy mountain road at about 35 mph since this is the first time I have really been able to drive the car in about a month. This is where my problems started. At the first stop sign my car started to get the shakes again and act like it was going to stall out. I tried to ignore it and continue up the road at which time I heard a lawn mower metal on metal sound coming from the engine. It started really gradually and then became extremely loud over a period of about 5 minutes. At this point I started to hear squealing, insanely loud knocking, backfiring and finally it seized on the side of the road. I tried to start it up and it made some metal banging sounds but wouldn't fully turn over.

I ended up having to call Toyota roadside assistance to have the car towed to the nearest service center and was stuck on the side of a dark road for a couple of hours. The next day I was called by the dealership and told that this was a "major" issue and that it would be addressed immediately. It wasn't until today that I was called and told to pick up my lovely Toyota corolla base model rental car and that they where not going to be able to fix the car anytime soon. Scion informed me that I would have to wait for some more techs to arrive AGAIN and that if I didn't want to wait for the car to be fixed I need to start the arbitration process to get a refund which can take over a month once all the paperwork has been received. Needless to say this whole experience has been a nightmare and all I have to show for it is a car payment that I'm still responsible for even though I have only driven the car a total of 3 hours in the month that I have owned it.

Toyota really dropped the ball on this whole launch.
whiteout fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whiteout fr-s For This Useful Post:
ahausheer (06-28-2012), Marrk (06-27-2012), tripjammer (06-27-2012), yayforaddison (06-28-2012), ZmZMWagon (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #377
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout fr-s View Post
Well, I got the car back this last Monday after they "fixed" the issue. 6 Technicians were flown in from Japan to look at my car and they determined it was the VVTR control valve. They replaced the valve, drove the car "lightly" for 80 miles and told me it was good to go.

I drove the car to my house, about 30 minutes away or 15 miles (In Boston traffic) and decided to pick up my girlfriend and go for a drive through a nice windy mountain road at about 35 mph since this is the first time I have really been able to drive the car in about a month. This is where my problems started. At the first stop sign my car started to get the shakes again and act like it was going to stall out. I tried to ignore it and continue up the road at which time I heard a lawn mower metal on metal sound coming from the engine. It started really gradually and then became extremely loud over a period of about 5 minutes. At this point I started to hear squealing, insanely loud knocking, backfiring and finally it seized on the side of the road. I tried to start it up and it made some metal banging sounds but wouldn't fully turn over.

I ended up having to call Toyota roadside assistance to have the car towed to the nearest service center and was stuck on the side of a dark road for a couple of hours. The next day I was called by the dealership and told that this was a "major" issue and that it would be addressed immediately. It wasn't until today that I was called and told to pick up my lovely Toyota corolla base model rental car and that they where not going to be able to fix the car anytime soon. Scion informed me that I would have to wait for some more techs to arrive AGAIN and that if I didn't want to wait for the car to be fixed I need to start the arbitration process to get a refund which can take over a month once all the paperwork has been received. Needless to say this whole experience has been a nightmare and all I have to show for it is a car payment that I'm still responsible for even though I have only driven the car a total of 3 hours in the month that I have owned it.

. I thought they were going to track the car on monday to put a load on it?
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #378
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout fr-s View Post

Wow that's some story. Sorry to hear I hope it works out for you .
They must come up with a solution for this!
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote