follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
2jz-gte4life

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How much would a new Supra cost ?

Well, i am starting to get board of my car, it's been with our family since day one out of the dealership.

I would like to buy a new car in a year or so.

My dream would be for a new Supra but i'm not holding my breath .

Anyways, how much do you guys think would a new Supra cost, would it be under 60,000 OR more, oh of course the Twin turbo model .
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
http://www.koracing.net/viewproduct....4e920dd43c537b

that should help with the boredom. i would expect a new supra to be $60-80K (we're talking turbo, fully loaded for 80).

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
It would be priced competitively with the 370Z, so $30K-$40K depending on kit. Turbos would be very unlikely with Toyota's current focus on N/A.

Perhaps there would be a high performance version with the Lexus 5.0 V8. Probably a little over $50K for that.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It would be near impossible to find a "new Supra" but this is as close to a new Supra as you can get.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
OK are you talking about getting a JZA80 or The FT-HS or other concept? Cause the answers so far have been for both.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
It would be priced competitively with the 370Z, so $30K-$40K depending on kit. Turbos would be very unlikely with Toyota's current focus on N/A.

Perhaps there would be a high performance version with the Lexus 5.0 V8. Probably a little over $50K for that.
Have you been living under a rock? Supra's are known to race against GT-R's, though produced to race against Corvettes...

When the Supra was first introduced it was a Celica Supra. Basically a Ceilca with a bigger engine (6 cyl instead of 4 cyl). These cars (both Celica and Celica Supra) were considered to be direct competition to the Mustang.

In 1986 they split the Supra from the Celica line, up and changed the Ceilca to a FWD car, while the Supra remained a heavy weight combatant with popular Pony cars, fighting with a renewed I6 engine.

In 1987 Toyota turbo charged the Supra in hopes to go from Mustang competition, to Corvette Killer. With the improved performance, was an improved price tag. Unfortunately the sales were not improved.

1988 marked the year of the All-Trac (Musta been an amazing year, considering thats when I was born.) Celica was given a 200hp Turbo 4 cyl motor, and AWD to handle the increase. in 1990 the Celica was arguably the most beautiful high-production car of the early 1990s.

Sales of the Supra halt in 1992 for a redesign to be revealed in 1993. The Previously Turbo charged engine is now a Twin Turbo engine, producing 320hp. Prices in the $50,000 range, sales are low. Performance is high, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (1993, thats $%#!ing fast.) Racers call the Supra "Pure Adrenaline attached to a license plate."

1996, Toyota is considering discontinuing the Supra. Sales are low. 40 are imported per month into the States, and only 21 per month are taken to Europe. Other Japanese legends, such as the Nissan 300ZX, Mazda RX-7, and the Dodge Stealth had been discontinued.

When they were once Affordable Fun cars (pocket rockets I believe the term is) they had become over-optioned, over priced and the market had been swinging to Minivans and SUV.s

1998 is the discontinuation of the Supra, and in 1999, Toyota launches the new Celica. The space age redesign make the car look futuristic, fit for the new millennia and is an aerodynamic achievement for Toyota. Nearly as capable as the 1998 Supra in handling, the new Celica is an incredible seller for the new year.

The Toyota Supra was one of 8 Japanese cars at that point to achieve over 1G on the skid pad.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
2jz-gte4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
It would be near impossible to find a "new Supra" but this is as close to a new Supra as you can get.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

I didn't mean finding a newer Supra, i meant Toyota making a new Supra Model for the future

Oh p.s, i just cannot believe that ad, only 8000 miles, thats extremely low but if true, that would truly be amazing
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
A new Supra has been rumored to be in the works now for at least 10 years. The only concept that has come close to taking over the reins the Supra left behind is the FT-HS, and its still just a concept only, with no mention from Toyota if the car will ever make production.

Basically if you want a 'new' Supra, even under the best circumstances, you'd have to wait at least 3-5 years before one even showed up at a dealer, and that's if it were announced like...today.

Fyi, don't get rid of that Mk4 dude. Keep it in good shape and clean. Its value has no where to go but up in the coming years.

Edit: Guess I should answer the question of the topic.

If a new Supra were to come out today it would be pretty expensive indeed. The Supra was Toyota's flagship sports car for a great number of years, showcasing the highest in production performance R&D while coming in 'stock' form with a laundry list of luxuries. All of that taken into account, you would probably expect to see an MSRP hovering close to $60,000. Remember, the Supra held the title of 'poor-mans Porsche' (a statement given with great respect) for a reason.

If you took a direct analysis with inflation, a '98 Mk4 with a $43,000 dealer price would sell for roughly $56,000 today.

Edit Edit: If the FT-HS were released as the new Supra, today, it might actually be a bit higher of a pricetag. That car would be taunting some serious technology behind it. My hopes for Toyota in the near future are:
FT-86: entry level sports coupe
New Celica/MR-2: mid-level sports coupe (hopefully forever shaking off its FWD garbage)
New Supra: High-end, top of the line sports coupe.

A sports car for every market tier.

Last edited by OldSkoolToys; 05-10-2010 at 08:29 PM.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
2jz-gte4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
A new Supra has been rumored to be in the works now for at least 10 years. The only concept that has come close to taking over the reins the Supra left behind is the FT-HS, and its still just a concept only, with no mention from Toyota if the car will ever make production.

Basically if you want a 'new' Supra, even under the best circumstances, you'd have to wait at least 3-5 years before one even showed up at a dealer, and that's if it were announced like...today.

Fyi, don't get rid of that Mk4 dude. Keep it in good shape and clean. Its value has no where to go but up in the coming years.
Oh, i won't be getting rid of it, i though about it and my Dad almost had a heart attack. My Dad took very good care of it, he gave it to me and i treated it like Royalty, the car would go to my younger brother, he want's it so bad. The Car will stay with the family forever, although my friends keep telling me that its worth over 40,000 g's, i just recently passed 80,000 km on it,ill soon have to change the timing belt and water pump though, i think i might take it to the dealership for this but i know ill get a nice big fat bill, lol
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would venture to say that a "new supra" successor would cost the same as a GT-R around 75-85k.

I had a 1985 MKII Celica Supra and that car was the tits so I hope they bring back that concept especially if the FT-86 is named the new celica then Toyota could go all crazy and drop in a porsche-like turbo H6 and call it a Celica Supra just to throw every body off, lol.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:

The MkIV Supra costs around $75K in todays money. Traditionally, it was always a Z competitor, up until the MkIV, where it took on vettes/911s/etc, and measured up to pretty much everything that wasn't in the exotic realm of that time (1993).

Were a supra released today it would either;
a) Cost around $30-$40K, forgo the Supra nameplate and revert to being a Z competitor
or
b) Cost Upward of $80K and rape pretty much everything this side of an LFA/458/Murci....

I think neither is likely to actually happen.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
2jz-gte4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
The MkIV Supra costs around $75K in todays money. Traditionally, it was always a Z competitor, up until the MkIV, where it took on vettes/911s/etc, and measured up to pretty much everything that wasn't in the exotic realm of that time (1993).

Were a supra released today it would either;
a) Cost around $30-$40K, forgo the Supra nameplate and revert to being a Z competitor
or
b) Cost Upward of $80K and rape pretty much everything this side of an LFA/458/Murci....

I think neither is likely to actually happen.
Don't tell this to my Dad, lol.

He wants a new one as bad as i do, he even said he would pay 100,000 for it.

It would be so cool if this happened my Dads MKV Supra, My MKIV Supra and my brothers MKIII supra all in the same house.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
[History Lesson]
If that's supposed to be an argument, I don't know what to tell you.

If Toyota were to come out with a Supra today, it would be a Toyota two door version of the Lexus IS350. Same thing Nissan does with the Infiniti G37 and 370Z. Two doors, crappier interior, slightly cheaper.

The car industry is all about efficiencies of scale. The above is the only sensible way to do it.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
If that's supposed to be an argument, I don't know what to tell you.

If Toyota were to come out with a Supra today, it would be a Toyota two door version of the Lexus IS350. Same thing Nissan does with the Infiniti G37 and 370Z. Two doors, crappier interior, slightly cheaper.

The car industry is all about efficiencies of scale. The above is the only sensible way to do it.
They would never call it Supra.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote