follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Naeblis

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyzm0 View Post
Hello,

I like the Kenwood DDX916WS very much, but doesn't it bother you that the "physical" buttons are on the right side?
It looks like it was made for RHD, should we hope for a LHD version or do you think it won't ever happen?

Best regards.
It doesn't bother me. I bought it for Android Auto, and the only thing I really use on the buttons is the volume, and I don't adjust that all that often. Also, it's still not really a big deal. If I was in a bigger car, I could see that being an issue. But in the BRZ, the buttons are right above where my hand already is when it's in 5/6th gear. So it's not like I have to stretch to use them.
Naeblis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naeblis For This Useful Post:
Gyzm0 (01-23-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok Henz View Post
So, the NEX 4200 was installed yesterday.

Initial impressions:
(1) Sounds quality is definitely superior in the mid and high ranges, but I'm not sure if this is due to the head unit, or the addition of an amp which is powering the 8" sub in the trunk.
(2) CarPlay has been alright, but not as great as I'd thought it'd be. Plusses: Siri reads your Messages, Maps and navigation are on the main display (as opposed to using Maps or Waze on a separately mounted iPhone), and Pandora, Audiobooks, and Podcasts accessible directly from the 4200. Minuses: My CarPlay connection disappears under hard acceleration (surely an installation glitch), and the overall usability in terms of speed and touch response are just OK.
(3) The 4200, like most aftermarket systems I suspect, has some less than user friendly ways to access varying functions, like switching between specific sources; wish there was a physical button for changing to the radio, for example. But it's highly customizable, both in its display and sound features.
(4) To quote member toast above, "the adaptors look like ass." While I went out of my way to find the Canadian dash piece, it's still cut for the 200mm wide Toyota width double-DIN units. The worst part is that the 4200 sticks out about 1/4-3/8" from the plastic adaptors, and screams "aftermarket!" Being partial to the new interior aesthetics of the '17 BRZ, the narrower head unit looks a little out of place in the dash, especially compared to the look of the native unit.

I plan to give it a few weeks, but may ultimately reinstall the factory head unit (gasp), ask the stereo shop to re-tune it a little for better sound quality, and keep a (smaller) amp and sub. I find that I'm less interested in excellent sound quality in this car anyway - the sound deadening isn't great to begin with, I use the aural RPM gauge in my head to determine shift points, and I'm not in need of ground thumping bass or ear splitting treble...

Photos to follow, hopefully.

Peace,
Dok

Dok,

So did you end up keeping the NEX 4200 or going back to the stock HU? I'm thinking about new HUs for my 2017 (before I've even received it) and I'm curious about your experience.

Thanks,
Bill
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
dman22

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a picture of the rectangle dash kit with an aftermarket headunit and the metra spacers in a 2017 BRZ?
dman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
Dok Henz

Drives: 2018 CWP tS
Garage
NEX-4200 Headunit photos

Sorry for the long delay in posting an update. The long-and-short:

I kept the NEX-4200. While my initial impressions weren't great - Pioneer should have canned the removable faceplate for a more flush look, IMHO - it's grown on me. Whether that's due to the fact that having CarPlay far outweighs any annoyances I have about the NEX operation or appearance, or whether I've just grown accustomed to how the dash looks after 2 months, I'm not sure.

But I'm not going to go back to the stock headunit. If Subaru can finally decide to put CarPlay in the BRZ (like they're slowly introducing to other 2018 models), I would consider buying one of the new factory units... but by then, my lease will be up, and I'll just opt for replacing the whole shebang.

Here's a link to some less-than-optimal photos, but hopefully you'll get the idea:
http://imgur.com/a/UjmhX

Peace!
Dok
Dok Henz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dok Henz For This Useful Post:
willimusk (04-26-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
Snoopydoo512

Drives: 452/401 05 legacy gt, 17 brz pp
Were you able to keep steering wheel controls? I'm looking to update the audio unit in my 17 BRZ but actually like the steering controls.
Snoopydoo512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #20
Dok Henz

Garage
Quote:
Were you able to keep steering wheel controls?
Yep. And the button at the center of the circular rocker switch activates Siri, which is cool for entering new destinations, etc. I think my installers had to use an adaptor, though?

BTW, besides the tweaks to the engine and suspension, the steering wheel controls were one of the best upgrades on the '17.

Dok
Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. And the button at the center of the circular rocker switch activates Siri, which is cool for entering new destinations, etc. I think my installers had to use an adaptor, though?

BTW, besides the tweaks to the engine and suspension, the steering wheel controls were one of the best upgrades on the '17.

Dok
Does your backup camera still work?
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #22
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Dok
Does the phone pickup / hangup work as well?
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 AM   #23
Dok Henz

Garage
Backup camera works still.
Phone pickup / hangup work too.

Of course, I had professionals install mine, so don't ask me how the heck they did it all.

Dok
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dok Henz For This Useful Post:
johan (04-28-2017), wolffbite (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Backup camera works still.
Phone pickup / hangup work too.

Of course, I had professionals install mine, so don't ask me how the heck they did it all.

Dok
No worries, just knowing it's possible is all I needed!
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:08 AM   #25
Alabang BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

New Kenwood DDX917WS Release for Toyota & Subaru

The Kenwood DDX917WS release has just been announced and is set to arrive on the Australia shores on 1 March 2017.

The new Kenwood DDX917WS is based on the previous model the DDX916WS but will now included additional features:

• Built in Air Mirroring via WiFi
  • ADAS DVR Camera control on screen (dash camera control) *Requires Kenwood DRV-N520 sold seperately.
  • Super Hi-Res Audio file playback

Built In “Air Mirroring 2 ” with Advanced Two Way Android Link.

With the new Kenwood DDX917WS Release comes Wi-Fi Mirroring is now built in to our 2017 CP/AA Range (excluding DMX7017BTS)
Connect your smartphone via Wi-Fi and mirror your Android or iPhone screen without fuss onto our 7″ Capacitive Screen!
Kenwood has also added advanced Two Way Smartphone Link to easily control your Android Phone via the head unit. This new technology allows seamless Android control from your head unit without any additional third party apps or Bluetooth setup requirements.
Just simply activate your Android quick connect function and you’re ready to go!
Off Road/4WD mapping,Videos,Apps and even Android Auto Wirelessly via Air Mirroring!
Yes, it’s all possible within the new 2017 CP/AA AV Range.

ADAS DVR Control

An industry first, Kenwood can now integrate an ADAS DVR with the AV Receiver. Full DVR control, screen viewing, setup etc. can all be operated via the Head Unit. The DRV-N520 is a fully Advanced Driving Assistance System (ADAS) DVR that can detect and alert collisions, Lane Departure as well as Departure Delays.

Alerts are communicated on screen and through audio.

Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alabang BRZ For This Useful Post:
dezmoondo (06-09-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
007BRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Yellow Spec Ed 1of500
Quote:
Hey all:

I'm just shy of putting my first 1000 miles on '17 BRZ, and each mile seems better than the last... save for the crappy head unit. Sure, it links to my iPhone, and powers the speakers, and does some of what a modern infotainment system should do, but it's a shame that the Subaru engineers have wasted so much time with the terrible software. But I digress.

I'm looking to upgrade to an aftermarket unit that has CarPlay. What I'm seeking help from you here isn't which unit to purchase, but how the hell to fit an aftermarket unit into the trapezoidal chasm the engineers have chiseled into the dash once the stock unit is removed?

Here are my questions:

(1) Has anyone replaced their 2016 or 2017 head unit in an aesthetically pleasing way? If so, how? Are there standard adapters for the double DIN unit to fit into the trapezoidal space? Did you replace the dash section(s)?

(2) I'm contemplating ordering a replacement dash from the Canadian '17 BRZ, which has a rectangular opening:

Anyone know how I might go about getting my hands on one of these parts? Any Canadian BRZedHeads that could steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace,
Dok
See my posts. Have installed Kenwood Dnx893s with idatalink in my 2017 BRZ Yellow and everything is now working. You don't need a Canadian dash trim. The 2016 BRZ 2 piece will work. And if you take 1/32" off the left side you can peel off the leather skin on your 2017 and install it on the 2016. Paid $60 on EBAY for the 2 piece dash. Crutchfield has the two side spacers. I got everything from them too. There is a brand new idatalink flash that gives you everything i.e. Steering wheel controls. See my other posts.
Attached Images

007BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #27
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BRZ View Post
See my posts. Have installed Kenwood Dnx893s with idatalink in my 2017 BRZ Yellow and everything is now working. You don't need a Canadian dash trim. The 2016 BRZ 2 piece will work. And if you take 1/32" off the left side you can peel off the leather skin on your 2017 and install it on the 2016. Paid $60 on EBAY for the 2 piece dash. Crutchfield has the two side spacers. I got everything from them too. There is a brand new idatalink flash that gives you everything i.e. Steering wheel controls. See my other posts.
What other car monitoring information are you getting using that idatalink flash? I only ask because the crutchfield website says that it doesn't work with our car... I'm planning on going with an Apline unit. I guess I still have more research to go.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #28
jslack

Drives: 2017 Red subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone send the link or name of the metra side spacers?? I'm thinking of getting them and trying to customize their look too
jslack is offline   Reply With Quote