follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #645
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Not dumb at all; I thought exactly the same thing. Also, where do the fog lights go (assuming you want them)?
Most likely where the plastic piece off to the side is (somehow).

I don't know what would happen to the fins, I'm assuming the fins are part of that plastic piece so maybe fog lights would replace the fins or just go underneath I have no idea.

Also for anyone wondering what a front plate would look like and haven't seen the picture of it with the front plate... there you go (kinda)... I like it with a front plate.

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #646
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
I find your lack of cynicism disturbing. You must be under 30.
i wish!!!! lol
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #647
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
except this is ft86, where we analyze everything to death before we even test it ourselves and where pessimism reigns supreme! lol
AHHHHH a passive aggressive contest eh? I bet I can win!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #648
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman957 View Post
My God! Haven't we flogged this molly long enough? Not one of us have seen one in person yet, let alone driven one. Why don't we just chill and wait to see what the damn thing is really like? If it sucks, it sucks and we have the good one. If it's an actual improvement overall, then so be it! I'd bet that at least a certain number of folks who have already made their minds up that it's going to be horrible will be among the first to drive it and sing its praises when it does show up.
Hey! This thread is good for 200 pages yet. As long as things do not get nasty then it still good discussion in my books. Maybe the bestest car in the world and there are some things I know I am not going to like just because of taste. I think my comments have been misconstrued that I think they should make the car just the way I like it. The reality is quite the opposite and I hope they make the car that the majority of people like so that it stays alive. It just needs to be understood that this forum does not in any way represent the majority of the car buying public.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #649
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
First off I would like to thank you for a good friendly debate that did not resort to name calling and unrelated slurs as the primary argument. It is refreshing for a change!
We are on total polar opposite thought processes here but I do not feel that my thoughts are "silly". Yes they delivered the car they said. It did OK but they are not a car enthusiast charity but a for profit company and they need to broaden the market or kill the car. They will not broaden the market by making it a better performer and I know that runs counter to the what the population of this forum thinks but this forum is a drop in the bucket of the car buying public. It is time for it to evolve and that will take a bit but evolve it will. We may not like that evolution but if it keeps the car alive long enough then that evolution may swing back in our direction. I do not think I am being sceptical at all and although you say you are not influenced by the hype you used some of that hype to support your case.
The reality may end up being someplace between our two stands/theories in which case we can both be "right". We will know in the next 5 years or so.
i guess what i am trying to say is that what you think is marketing hype, i didn't think was hype at all, but genuine efforts from a genuine car guy. sure, you can call me naive, i won't cry. adding 5 hp is marketing hype, changing spot welding and adding reinforcement to the unibody is not hype at all, but 100% race engineering. of course, as you've argued before, Tada-san and Toyoda-san aren't the only ones that work for toyota. the bean counters may yet win out, even though Toyoda-san has repeatedly stated they won't. anyway as you say we won't know until 5-10 years from now.
The Following User Says Thank You to cyde01 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #650
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
We always had hill assist. It's call the handbrake
Many disagree: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102599
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
gt8613 (03-19-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #651
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
i guess what i am trying to say is that what you think is marketing hype, i didn't think was hype at all, but genuine efforts from a genuine car guy. sure, you can call me naive, i won't cry. adding 5 hp is marketing hype, changing spot welding and adding reinforcement to the unibody is not hype at all, but 100% race engineering. of course, as you've argued before, Tada-san and Toyoda-san aren't the only ones that work for toyota. the bean counters may yet win out, even though Toyoda-san has repeatedly stated they won't. anyway as you say we won't know until 5-10 years from now.
They were and are genuine efforts I am not trying to say otherwise. They just played up those efforts to create excitement. It worked. You guys that followed it from the start may not have realized it but you were being marketed too from day one. It is the way they do it and they have large teams and budgets to make sure it happens and is done right.
I am going to close my end of this now since people are obviously getting tired of our back and forth but want to make it clear that I am not being pessimistic at all (even if it seems that way) but simply applying my spin on things as I see them. Change is inevitable and good even if everybody does not like it.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #652
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
Not dumb at all; I thought exactly the same thing. Also, where do the fog lights go (assuming you want them)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRai View Post
Most likely where the plastic piece off to the side is (somehow).

I don't know what would happen to the fins, I'm assuming the fins are part of that plastic piece so maybe fog lights would replace the fins or just go underneath I have no idea.

Also for anyone wondering what a front plate would look like and haven't seen the picture of it with the front plate... there you go (kinda)... I like it with a front plate.

Or they will just simply chop a hole in the middle and let the fins just exist on each side. Much like they did with the exhaust tips.

That is not the size of a North American plate though is it? Would ours not be shorter and taller? I think they would stick up too high.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #653
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
For the minority in this world that still enjoy driving , just heel/toe a manual and the handbrake is not even needed.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #654
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I gotta agree with Tcoat. We got the enthusiast car, now it must become a "normal"car or disappear. I'd rather have it be a normal car, I got my first gen so I'm happy
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-19-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #655
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Nissan should have seen the 86 coming, beat Toyota to the punch and built a "retro" Z car. I still think the 86 is more a "Z" descendant then the marketing dream Toyota put on it.
I would've loved to see Nissan bring back the 280z (or 240z, 260z). That would be a sports car I can get behind.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-19-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #656
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They were and are genuine efforts I am not trying to say otherwise. They just played up those efforts to create excitement. It worked. You guys that followed it from the start may not have realized it but you were being marketed too from day one. It is the way they do it and they have large teams and budgets to make sure it happens and is done right.
I am going to close my end of this now since people are obviously getting tired of our back and forth but want to make it clear that I am not being pessimistic at all (even if it seems that way) but simply applying my spin on things as I see them. Change is inevitable and good even if everybody does not like it.
lol it's not like we're dumb enough to not know what's going on. of course they were marketing it to us, but if there is real legitimate engineering to back up the talk, what does it even matter? i just need more than 1 strike before i'll start to cry foul.. er.. waitaminute..
The Following User Says Thank You to cyde01 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #657
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ummmm :popc orn:: popcorn:
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #658
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Strike him down Tcoat. With all your power
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-18-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard