follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #631
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Dumb question: where did the turn signals go?
Not dumb at all; I thought exactly the same thing. Also, where do the fog lights go (assuming you want them)?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #632
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
and the sum total and nature of the changes of a few suspension tweaks, buttons on the steering, hill assist, and an ugly bumper convinced you they're gonna focus on the majority and enthusiasts are slowly gonna be ignored?

i don't wanna be annoying and keep arguing the same point without adding new input, but you don't think that sounds a little ridiculous? lol
Nope I don't. You are downplaying those changes and keeping them separate. No they are not huge and may seem independent of each other but they all point the car in the same direction. I repeat I am not saying we will wake up tomorrow with a whole new car but there is a very evident trend at play here. Maybe you don't see it but I do (and I know others do as well).

I hope I am wrong and just talking out of may ass here but 40 years as a car guy and 28 years in Tier 1 auto parts manufacturing has given me a bit of insight and this is what I see. Not asking for you or anybody else to believe me and not running around with a sign saying "the end is nigh" just throwing my experience and thoughts into the ring for anybody that wants to listen. Everybody is welcome to say "meh crazy old man" and walk away giving me weird looks if they wish.

I am also sort of the odd man out on this forum since I didn't follow the development, worship the developers and could not care less about the "heritage" of the car. I stumbled across it by accident in 2015, checked it out, bought it and loved it. All the hype and marketing have never influenced me (you have to actually know it exists for that to happen) and therefore I do not have the emotional attachment that you and others have to the car, the history and Tada.
Dadhawk (03-19-2016), Hoahao (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #633
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Power on this car to me is irrelevant as I plan to go FI as many have. I think the original intention was to have a solid base to start off with and let the owners make it their own.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #634
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
For folks like me living in "The City", hill-assist is a god-send. Well, at least it is in San Francisco. And people get lazy here.
We always had hill assist. It's call the handbrake
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nyfries For This Useful Post:
mdm (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #635
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sorry guys. i'm not angry, not offended nor do i mean to offend anyone here. some reactions just seem a little overblown to me... lol

cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyde01 For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-19-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #636
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
We always had hill assist. It's call the handbrake
Some are lazier than others.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #637
KalbiCool88

I'm waiting for all things autonomous. Hang on to your mechanical treasures!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #638
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am also sort of the odd man out on this forum since I didn't follow the development, worship the developers and could not care less about the "heritage" of the car. I stumbled across it by accident in 2015, checked it out, bought it and loved it. All the hype and marketing have never influenced me (you have to actually know it exists for that to happen) and therefore I do not have the emotional attachment that you and others have to the car, the history and Tada.
lol it's not even an emotional attachment. for the people that followed the history and development, it's the fact that throughout the ENTIRE process, for years and years, we were skeptical and kept asking over and over "is it really gonna cater to us enthusiasts?" "are you really gonna get it right?" and over and over and over for years Tada-san and even Akio Toyoda himself kept saying "yes it is gonna cater to enthusiasts" and "this is why." the car came out, and enthusiasts loved it, and still throughout the process we kept asking "is it gonna stay an enthusiast car?" "are you gonna dumb it down?" and they responded "no we're not gonna dumb it down." "these are the driver focused changes we are making for enthusiasts." and after several years of seeing that and hearing Toyoda saying the entire company is gonna focus more on adding enthusiast products and that they're gonna rein in the bean counters, i guess you start to actually believe them. sure, some people may dismiss that as marketing hype, but it's not a blind emotional attachment or anything. they really backed up their talk when you look at all the different engineering decisions they made. someone posted that this latest update also has re-thought spot welding and reinforcing the unibody in various different areas to improve cornering feel on the track. i mean, you don't do that if you're just in it to cater to the masses and make a profit. these guys are hardcore enthusiasts themselves and most of what they've done back up their talk. but when a couple changes happen that aren't enthusiast friendly, immediately the skepticism comes roaring back. i know i'm not gonna convince anyone different, but coming from that context the latest round of skepticism seems rather silly. but no one knows the future, so anything could happen. it is what it is.

Last edited by cyde01; 03-18-2016 at 10:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyde01 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-18-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #639
KalbiCool88

It certainly is what it is.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #640
wireman957

Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My God! Haven't we flogged this molly long enough? Not one of us have seen one in person yet, let alone driven one. Why don't we just chill and wait to see what the damn thing is really like? If it sucks, it sucks and we have the good one. If it's an actual improvement overall, then so be it! I'd bet that at least a certain number of folks who have already made their minds up that it's going to be horrible will be among the first to drive it and sing its praises when it does show up.
HunterGreene (03-21-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #641
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

except this is ft86, where we analyze everything to death before we even test it ourselves and where pessimism reigns supreme! lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cyde01 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (03-21-2016), KalbiCool88 (03-18-2016), Tcoat (03-18-2016), wireman957 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #642
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
The 86 is an aberration in the modern car world. I don't think it would ever have gotten out of the design studios if it had not been for the Scion brand being able to take a chance where Toyota would not. TC is absolutely correct in that this car has been "taken within the system" and is now managed by people who are excited by the Prius. Every iteration will drift farther and farther from the original design intent.
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatScan For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #643
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
sorry guys. i'm not angry, not offended nor do i mean to offend anyone here. some reactions just seem a little overblown to me... lol
I find your lack of cynicism disturbing. You must be under 30.
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #644
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
lol it's not even an emotional attachment. for the people that followed the history and development, it's the fact that throughout the ENTIRE process, for years and years, we were skeptical and kept asking over and over "is it really gonna cater to us enthusiasts?" "are you really gonna get it right?" and over and over and over for years Tada-san and even Akio Toyoda himself kept saying "yes it is gonna cater to enthusiasts" and "this is why." the car came out, and enthusiasts loved it, and still throughout the process we kept asking "is it gonna stay an enthusiast car?" "are you gonna dumb it down?" and the responded "no we're not gonna dumb it down." "these are the driver focused changes we are making for enthusiasts." and after several years of seeing that and hearing Toyoda saying the entire company is gonna focus more on adding enthusiast products, i guess you start to actually believe them. sure, some people may dismiss that as marketing hype, but it's not a blind emotional attachment or anything. they really backed up their talk when you look at all the different engineering decisions they made. someone posted that this latest update also has re-thought spot welding and reinforcing the unibody in various different areas to improve cornering feel on the track. i mean, you don't do that if you're just in it to cater to the masses and make a profit. these guys are hardcore enthusiasts themselves and most of what they've done back up their talk. but when a couple changes happen that aren't enthusiast friendly, immediately the skepticism comes roaring back. i know i'm not gonna convince anyone different, but coming from that context the latest round of skepticism seems rather silly. but no one knows the future, so anything could happen. it is what it is.

First off I would like to thank you for a good friendly debate that did not resort to name calling and unrelated slurs as the primary argument. It is refreshing for a change!
We are on total polar opposite thought processes here but I do not feel that my thoughts are "silly". Yes they delivered the car they said. It did OK but they are not a car enthusiast charity but a for profit company and they need to broaden the market or kill the car. They will not broaden the market by making it a better performer and I know that runs counter to the what the population of this forum thinks but this forum is a drop in the bucket of the car buying public. It is time for it to evolve and that will take a bit but evolve it will. We may not like that evolution but if it keeps the car alive long enough then that evolution may swing back in our direction. I do not think I am being sceptical at all and although you say you are not influenced by the hype you used some of that hype to support your case.
The reality may end up being someplace between our two stands/theories in which case we can both be "right". We will know in the next 5 years or so.

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard