follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #337
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bought the grimmspeed thing for my nameless header and the buyer didn't want it.

Happy to sell it to someone here. Had to grind it down a bit to fit inside the 2.5" overpipe, but it's much more elegant than a hard 3"> 2.5" transition.

Last edited by e1_griego; 06-29-2016 at 01:57 PM.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #338
ort895

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
No it's not. Stock is around 2.3" 60mm, and even smaller where it is crush bent and twisted.
Ahhhh
Attached Images

Hyper4mance2k (06-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #339
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've had this header for a few months now. Initially I had an issue with the header gaskets (used the ones provided by PLM). I ordered some from Grimmspeed and haven't had any issues since. I'm also running the Grimmspeed 3" to 2.5" adapter (without issues or modifications needed). My exhaust is the PLM header, Motive Concepts OP, Catless resonated Invidia FP, Invidia N1 CB. I had my car re-tuned by Graham from FT86 Speed Factory (stg1 tune to a stg 2 93oct tune). Haven't dynoed the car, not sure if I will any time soon, but its definitely noticeable and I haven't had any issues with the header.

I did attempt to paint the header with VHT Flameproof header paint. I scuffed the header with a red scratch pad, applied their self etching primer, then their flat black paint. I followed the instructions on the can for the "on car" curing, but the flat black paint is flaking and peeling... that primer is stuck on there though. To anyone else wishing to attempt these products... I'd recommend allowing the primer to dry completely, then scuff the primer to help adhesion.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #340
ort895

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Really want to pair this with my works ABM...hmmm
Old 11-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #341
witz
Banned

Drives: all mine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PLM has a Black Friday Sale starting today until Cyber Monday! 35% off all products on

You gotta use the coupon code

BF35MS
witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #342
X00

Drives: 2013 Frs:Full Exhaust, NA etc
Can you show a link of which specific grimspeed 3 to 2.5 adapter you got? Thanks!
X00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #343
NotTakumi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
PLM header to Nameless OP/FP to TRD cat back.
TRD intake.
OFT v4.3 Stg2+ OTS tune.

No drone, plenty of power.

Header has been on the car, uncoated, unwrapped, for 60k+ miles of daily, AX, and track use.

No issues.

Does Nameless make a better product?
Yes. Higher quality materials.
Welds are the same quality however.

Is the Nameless three times better?
No.
Is there a justification for Nameless to sell out to Cosworth and allow their product to be offered for $2k?
No.

Would I have purchased the Nameless header if it had been offered at a different price?
Yes.

I could justify spending $800 or so on the header, just like I justified spending $850 on their OP/FP. However, $1200 is not justified, and because they had sold out to Cosworth by the time I was looking at headers, I sure as hell couldn't justify spending what they want for it.
NotTakumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #344
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are nameless/cosworth headers even available?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #345
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTakumi View Post
PLM header to Nameless OP/FP to TRD cat back.
TRD intake.
OFT v4.3 Stg2+ OTS tune.

No drone, plenty of power.

Header has been on the car, uncoated, unwrapped, for 60k+ miles of daily, AX, and track use.

No issues.

Does Nameless make a better product?
Yes. Higher quality materials.
Welds are the same quality however.

Is the Nameless three times better?
No.
Is there a justification for Nameless to sell out to Cosworth and allow their product to be offered for $2k?
No.

Would I have purchased the Nameless header if it had been offered at a different price?
Yes.

I could justify spending $800 or so on the header, just like I justified spending $850 on their OP/FP. However, $1200 is not justified, and because they had sold out to Cosworth by the time I was looking at headers, I sure as hell couldn't justify spending what they want for it.

PLM is only cheaper because they steal the designs from the companies that put the R&D dollars into the original product...
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #346
NotTakumi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
PLM is only cheaper because they steal the designs from the companies that put the R&D dollars into the original product...
Really?

I hadn’t realized that after reading this thread, and seeing those concepts in practice throughout the automotive industry, along with literally every other form of industry.

Nameless opened themselves up to lose to the knock offs by thinking they would ever recoup their R&D expenses by selling their product at a price that left most of the market searching for a cheaper alternative. Not that the R&D they did was worth the money they claim to have spent. By all accounts, their claims were terribly over hyped and they under delivered.

If they had priced their header at $800, they would have sold more of them.

It’s almost possible to justify the Nameless product being twice the price as the PLM, even though it flat out isn’t twice as good of a product, but there is no flaming way in all the layers of hell that is is three times as good, and worthy of a price three times higher.

That’s ludicrous.

To add insult to injury, they then take their product off the market, and give it exclusively to a company that then ups the price even further.

It’s almost like they are giving the finger to the very community they claim to support.

Seeing as how you can no longer buy their header from them, and the only way to get it is to go through Cosworth directly, who themselves may have stopped offering their products for the 86 platform, seeing as how no one bought them, it would seem that their plan has backfired on them completely.
They managed to get FT86SPEEDFACTORY to remove the PLM products from their site, but they also removed the Nameless products, and discontinued the Cosworth ones.

All they offer now is catted headers, and only HKS as their premium brand.
NotTakumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 AM   #347
Daemonomics

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ Limited PP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Nameless opened themselves up to lose to the knock offs by thinking they would ever recoup their R&D expenses by selling their product at a price that left most of the market searching for a cheaper alternative. Not that the R&D they did was worth the money they claim to have spent. By all accounts, their claims were terribly over hyped and they under delivered.

It’s almost possible to justify the Nameless product being twice the price as the PLM, even though it flat out isn’t twice as good of a product, but there is no flaming way in all the layers of hell that is is three times as good, and worthy of a price three times higher.

That’s ludicrous.

To add insult to injury, they then take their product off the market, and give it exclusively to a company that then ups the price even further.

It’s almost like they are giving the finger to the very community they claim to support.

Seeing as how you can no longer buy their header from them, and the only way to get it is to go through Cosworth directly, who themselves may have stopped offering their products for the 86 platform, seeing as how no one bought them, it would seem that their plan has backfired on them completely.
Imagine giving the finger, and adding insult to injury, to the vendors that put valuable time and resources into developing a quality product... By buying knock-offs and/or generally inferior products.

Do you want a solid product? Do you want continuous R&D and improvement to happen over time for your platform? Then pay up. Support the companies that are willing to support the platform, not the ones who are just trying to take advantage and make a quick buck.
Daemonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daemonomics For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-20-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #348
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Really?

That’s ludicrous.
If you are over paying for a header, it is the PLM. They had pretty much zero R&D because they flat copied the Nameless header. How dense are you? You are paying 600 for 40 worth of materials mediocrely welded together. You think if PLM had the R&D costs of nameless they would be selling them for 800 bucks

Nameless is a very small company, it's not like they ripped off an HKS or Tomei.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 08-16-2019 at 02:51 AM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-16-2019), wparsons (08-20-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:57 AM   #349
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
One question - there are other cheaper headers but of original design out there, so why you had to choose one that is knock-off copy, not one of those, if, as you keep repeating, high price is reason to somehow justify your choice?
I can understand sometimes wish to still get like among best but at very tight budget and thus not always doing "righteous" things .. but at very least i'd keep hush and wouldn't try to actively promote my choice to endorse others to do same to hear some kind of encouraging to what i did wrong. If something ethically questionable is done, it doesn't need to be pushed to rest with naive hope that it will convert more of people to similar choices and thus make it more of common state of action and maybe less subjectively unethic at least in own eyes/consciousness.
One can by chinese "rebok" and "abibas", one can buy plethora of other knock-off products. But why preach that doing that was right? Use your header, ask for related technical questions, but please, leave out tries to justify that or converting more of others to follow your steps.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #350
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
If you're happy with the pipe, God bless you. I've got a used ofh myself and I am satisfied with it. No need to justify your purchase on a message board.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-16-2019)

Tags
cheapbastards, dbags, knockoff