follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #29
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 22,513
Thanks: 16,573
Thanked 19,943 Times in 11,054 Posts
Mentioned: 509 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
.............. actual name of B.M.W. pronunciation wise, which is Bavarian Motor Works.
Ill fix that for YOU -

"BMW is defined as an acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG"




humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #30
Jordanwolf
真真
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Location: Otnorot Canadia
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 563
Thanked 888 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Ill fix that for YOU -

"BMW is defined as an acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG"




humfrz
__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #31
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck
 
xdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 248
Thanks: 114
Thanked 265 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Although an interesting fact, this still does not prove that Bimmer or Beemer are anything more than an alternate unofficial name used to refer to BMW as a whole, despite which vehicle type it is being applied to.
Not making any point here, just clarifying



Per:

https://bimmeramerica.com/history-of-bmw

Bimmer vs Beamer vs Beemer

To put it simply, BMW automobiles are called Bimmers. BMW motorcycles are called Beemers (or Beamers).
The term Beemer was first used with motorcycles. The legend goes that when British bikes were popular and the company baa was a well-known manufacturer, riders would often refer to them as Beezers, sort of a way to say BSA as a word. BMW riders then co-opted the word Beemer, as a way of saying BMW as a word. Since BMW manufactured motorcycles well before their automobiles became popular, whenever the word Beemer was said, it was in reference to their motorcycles.
For an unknown reason, when BMW automobiles came about, people started referring to them as Bimmers. Although it doesn't make much sense why the originators didn't just call all BMW products Beemers, the names were unofficially designated back in the 40's and 50's, and it doesn't seem right to argue with half a century of tradition.


Per:


https://bimmertips.com/whats-difference-bimmer-beemer/


Everyone knows a BMW is, mostly associated with a car, motorcycle or maybe even a vintage aircraft engine. Within the BMW community the terms Bimmer and Beemer (or Beamer) are commonly thrown around as slang. But do the two slang words mean the same thing? Where did these words come from and what do they mean? The term Beemer has a background worth learning to avoid confusing looks from BMW enthusiasts at your next local meet. BMW manufactured motorcycles since 1923, a few years before BMW's first manufactured automobile in 1928. A "Beamer" or "Beemer" is accepted as the default slang term for a BMW motorcycle. The pronunciation is straight forward, Beam-Mer. The origin of this slang word has its roots in motorcycle racing in the 1930's with a British motorcycle manufacturer called BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company). This company dominated the racing circuit and around the track, these motorcycles were simply called Beezers for short. The term results from a simple way to pronounce BSA as if it were a full word instead of an acronym. Once BMW motorcycles started to gain popularity and introduce itself in the world of motorcycle racing the same form of pronunciation was used for the BMW acronym, thus creating the word Beemer.
It took a lot longer for BMW automobiles to gain popularity to where society created its own slang word. However, the term "Bimmer" (pronounced Bim-Mer) is accepted as the default term for a BMW automobile with no real history of origin. The pronunciation is Bim-Mer. Perhaps the term was created specifically to differentiate BMW automobiles from BMW motorcycles. Whatever the reason, since Beemer has its roots in motorcycle racing Beemer is accepted as the default term for BMW motorcycles and Bimmer is the default term for the BMW automobile.
Now you know the history, you can be the snob at BMW meets to correct everyone or be the one to go around and educate people of the difference.

Last edited by xdavidx; 08-14-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added additional source
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
funwheeldrive
Senior Member
 
funwheeldrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: Firestorm Monogram
Location: Thurston County
Posts: 3,376
Thanks: 6,906
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,365 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone wake me up when Acura brings back the Integra.
__________________
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-14-2019), Leonardo (08-14-2019), WolfpackS2k (08-16-2019), xdavidx (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
Jordanwolf
真真
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Location: Otnorot Canadia
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 563
Thanked 888 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
Not making any point here, just clarifying



Per:

https://bimmeramerica.com/history-of-bmw

Bimmer vs Beamer vs Beemer

To put it simply, BMW automobiles are called Bimmers. BMW motorcycles are called Beemers (or Beamers).
The term Beemer was first used with motorcycles. The legend goes that when British bikes were popular and the company baa was a well-known manufacturer, riders would often refer to them as Beezers, sort of a way to say BSA as a word. BMW riders then co-opted the word Beemer, as a way of saying BMW as a word. Since BMW manufactured motorcycles well before their automobiles became popular, whenever the word Beemer was said, it was in reference to their motorcycles.
For an unknown reason, when BMW automobiles came about, people started referring to them as Bimmers. Although it doesn't make much sense why the originators didn't just call all BMW products Beemers, the names were unofficially designated back in the 40's and 50's, and it doesn't seem right to argue with half a century of tradition.


Per:


https://bimmertips.com/whats-difference-bimmer-beemer/


Everyone knows a BMW is, mostly associated with a car, motorcycle or maybe even a vintage aircraft engine. Within the BMW community the terms Bimmer and Beemer (or Beamer) are commonly thrown around as slang. But do the two slang words mean the same thing? Where did these words come from and what do they mean? The term Beemer has a background worth learning to avoid confusing looks from BMW enthusiasts at your next local meet. BMW manufactured motorcycles since 1923, a few years before BMW's first manufactured automobile in 1928. A "Beamer" or "Beemer" is accepted as the default slang term for a BMW motorcycle. The pronunciation is straight forward, Beam-Mer. The origin of this slang word has its roots in motorcycle racing in the 1930's with a British motorcycle manufacturer called BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company). This company dominated the racing circuit and around the track, these motorcycles were simply called Beezers for short. The term results from a simple way to pronounce BSA as if it were a full word instead of an acronym. Once BMW motorcycles started to gain popularity and introduce itself in the world of motorcycle racing the same form of pronunciation was used for the BMW acronym, thus creating the word Beemer.
It took a lot longer for BMW automobiles to gain popularity to where society created its own slang word. However, the term "Bimmer" (pronounced Bim-Mer) is accepted as the default term for a BMW automobile with no real history of origin. The pronunciation is Bim-Mer. Perhaps the term was created specifically to differentiate BMW automobiles from BMW motorcycles. Whatever the reason, since Beemer has its roots in motorcycle racing Beemer is accepted as the default term for BMW motorcycles and Bimmer is the default term for the BMW automobile.
Now you know the history, you can be the snob at BMW meets to correct everyone or be the one to go around and educate people of the difference.
I read these earlier. These only prove that they were indeed slang terms, as I said earlier and in contradiction to your earlier statement.

My original comment was quite frivolous though.
__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #34
Jordanwolf
真真
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Location: Otnorot Canadia
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 563
Thanked 888 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Someone wake me up when Acura brings back the Integra.
Dude, this is kinda why I flipped... If we see something even close to an Integra Type-S/R pop up again I would go crazy.
__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #35
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Dude, this is kinda why I flipped... If we see something even close to an Integra Type-S/R pop up again I would go crazy.
It will probably be made i conjunction with KIA or Saub or some other company.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #36
Jordanwolf
真真
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Location: Otnorot Canadia
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 563
Thanked 888 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It will probably be made i conjunction with KIA or Saub or some other company.
I cry.
__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
Sasquachulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 328 Times in 208 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only hope for an integra revival is an Acura ILX based on the current gen civic type R
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #38
funwheeldrive
Senior Member
 
funwheeldrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: Firestorm Monogram
Location: Thurston County
Posts: 3,376
Thanks: 6,906
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,365 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
The only hope for an integra revival is an Acura ILX based on the current gen civic type R
I guess I'll have to stay content with my 95 GSR until then.
__________________
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-16-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #39
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck
 
xdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 248
Thanks: 114
Thanked 265 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I cry.

This we can all agree on...



I would kill for an integra again, but it will likely be a kia rio with an acura integra badge and half of the internet will argue it was codeveloped and therefore it's really an integra... even though it's a turd sandwhich.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #40
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck
 
xdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 248
Thanks: 114
Thanked 265 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I read these earlier. These only prove that they were indeed slang terms, as I said earlier and in contradiction to your earlier statement.

This is why I posted it. My memory is shit and my original statement was ~meh.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #41
Jordanwolf
真真
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 900whp beast
Location: Otnorot Canadia
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 563
Thanked 888 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
This we can all agree on...



I would kill for an integra again, but it will likely be a kia rio with an acura integra badge and half of the internet will argue it was codeveloped and therefore it's really an integra... even though it's a turd sandwhich.
Just Type-R it, people will buy it.
__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #42
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck
 
xdavidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 248
Thanks: 114
Thanked 265 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Just Type-R it, people will buy it.

Then they will give it a $65k sticker price and dealers will upcharge $20k more and Acura will use it's poor sales as justification to make more crossover suvs. Consumers just don't want sports cars anymore



Introducing the new CR-V A S Spec
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it me or does the Acura Precision concept look like an FT86 Concept-2 clone? nos145 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 6 01-15-2016 08:51 AM
FS: 2005 Acura RSX Type-S AznKirby Canada Classifieds 12 06-05-2015 10:21 PM
...vs Acura RSX Type-S SteelReign FR-S / BRZ vs.... 102 08-01-2014 10:00 AM
Supercharged 2005 Acura Rsx type s Jerminator Cars for Sale/Trade 3 02-05-2013 10:46 AM
FR-S vs. Acura Integra Type R bazi FR-S / BRZ vs.... 1 01-09-2013 06:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.