follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
maui86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Are these OSRAM bulbs better than the ones from Diode Dynamics?
I would say they are the best I have used thus far, but be prepared to pay $100+ for a pair of BULBS only.

If you want the best in aftermarket bulbs, go with CNLight bulbs
from Diode Dynamics. I've tried quite a few and always come back to the Diode CNLights when I need a more budget friendly option or non D?S series Osram option (i.e.any Hxx series bulb.)
maui86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Yeah the OSRAM are $70/bulb...pretty pricey but I'll check out the DD option as well. I've spent hundreds with DD and they've been great with returns.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
I would say they are the best I have used thus far, but be prepared to pay $100+ for a pair of BULBS only.
I've got like $600 worth of Diode Dynamics products in my car, and I love them. Having said that, if the Osram ones are the best of the best, I want those in my headlights. That's how I don't crash into things at night, and when I visit family in NJ, I need to be able to see all those goddamned deer ahead of time.

Are they really noticeably brighter than stock?

EDIT: Also, is this the same product as the link posted earlier from TheRetrofitSource? I'm surprised it doesn't have many reviews. It's $20 cheaper and has free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Osram-66440CB.../dp/B00O7PZLH6

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 01-06-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
mitch t

Drives: stx class lava frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
this thing cost $60.00 on ebay, and lights up the road like the noon day sun.

[IMG][/IMG]
mitch t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitch t For This Useful Post:
AREN (01-06-2017), Stang70Fastback (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch t View Post
this thing cost $60.00 on ebay, and lights up the road like the noon day sun.]
I wouldn't mind a light bar in the long run. I know how much light those put out. I would just want a smoked lens, and I'd recess it a tiny bit inside my BRZ grill so that it wasn't visible during the day.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #20
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I've got like $600 worth of Diode Dynamics products in my car, and I love them. Having said that, if the Osram ones are the best of the best, I want those in my headlights. That's how I don't crash into things at night, and when I visit family in NJ, I need to be able to see all those goddamned deer ahead of time.

EDIT: Also, is this the same product as the link posted earlier from TheRetrofitSource? I'm surprised it doesn't have many reviews. It's $20 cheaper and has free shipping.

when buying from eBay or Amazon, you run into the possibility of getting fake bulbs. TRS sells genuine bulbs and their customer service is top notch.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
maui86

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Yeah the OSRAM are $70/bulb...pretty pricey but I'll check out the DD option as well. I've spent hundreds with DD and they've been great with returns.
Amazon has CBI's, Nightbreakers, and probably CBH usually around 100-120 for a pair of D2S. If you went that route, just be sure to purchase directly from Amazon and not any of thier marketplace sellers to minimize the chance of getting counterfeits. Amazon also usually has the Osrams on Prime so free shipping speedy returns etc.

If you need H11 or another H bulb, Diode's options are great: and price wise you can get almost the entire HID kit for the MSRP of a set of Osram bulbs - for the quality Diode provides, it's hard to beat that
Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
maui86

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

I can't speak for the stock BRZ D4S, but from what I've seen personally and on other's cars, the Osram's typically provide better output overall. What surprised me the most is that in my personal setup (retro-fitted D2S 3.0 Projectors,) I noticed a bit more beam width with the Osram CBI's compared to Morimoto D2S bulbs.

If you want absolute best performance, I'm told the Osram Nightbreaker marginally outclasses the CBI's, but at the cost of a warmer color (I've had some people describe the Nightbreakers output color as "halogen like.") Since I personally prefer a whiter color for my driving conditiins (no snow, no dense fog in years, deer on the side of the road late nights/early mornings) I went with the CBI's in my main headlights paired with the projector driving lights with Diode 4500K and it's like daylight lol.

I believe the Amazon bulbs you linked are sold by TRS as well; if you do order from Amazon be sure to order from Amazon directly and not from one of their 3rd party sellers (even if it costs a few bucks more) to minimize the likelihood of getting a counterfeit set. After you receive them go to Osrams "trust" checker to verify that they are real, and if not send them back.

I've ordered two sets of CBI's from Amazon themselves and both checked out so I think the probability of getting counterfeits from them is low.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #23
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
anyway to block out your headlights so i can see the output of just the fogs?
@Diode dynamic, whats the wattage for these?
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #24
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
They produce about 800 lumens, which is about double the amount of the factory halogen fog lights.

However, it's the unique optics that really make the Luxeon housings most effective. They produce a great output pattern.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
They produce about 800 lumens, which is about double the amount of the factory halogen fog lights.

However, it's the unique optics that really make the Luxeon housings most effective. They produce a great output pattern.

Nick C.
@khanh the luxeon fogs are what I've got on my car, and they are FANTASTIC. Light out put is ridiculous.

Keep in mind(for the photo below), the "stock" fogs are from the fiesta st in this comparison, but I'd imagine their stock fogs suck as much as many of our options. Many aftermarket fog lights are really just for show, they don't actually produce useful light as where the luxeon fogs have a very nice, even, really wide beam.

continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #26
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BTW, IIRC foglights reflect less in fog not just due narrower/more focused beam that is placed as low as possible, but also due light color/tone in them. Are you guys sure these modded ones will really work better for their main function - to increase visibility at fog / snowstorm instead of creating white wall not far from front of car like main lights may do?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #27
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
BTW, IIRC foglights reflect less in fog not just due narrower/more focused beam that is placed as low as possible, but also due light color/tone in them. Are you guys sure these modded ones will really work better for their main function - to increase visibility at fog / snowstorm instead of creating white wall not far from front of car like main lights may do?
A few points:

1. You're right. I don't expect these to work better than the OEM fogs in fog. However, the OEM fogs in our cars are literally useless in ANY condition. They output no usable, visible light in stock form. I literally couldn't tell when I turned them on from inside the car. So turning these off (if they interfere with the fog too much) leaves me no worse off than stock.

2. I REALLY wanted these Luxeon fog housings with YELLOW LEDs. That would have been neat because it would have kept the clear lenses, giving the car a nice clean look up front, but with a yellow output which is supposedly better for fog (though I'm not sure if LED yellow output is as good as incandescant yellow output in terms of wavelength.) However that wasn't an option. It's part of the reason I waited as long as I did to get these - I'd heard they might offer a yellow version, but the only thing that ever materialized was the XML2 LED replacement bulbs, which wouldn't have worked as well in the stock housings, which I wanted to replace anyway.

3. At the very least, these offer improved visibility at night in normal conditions, and rain. In fog, if anything I'll just turn them off if they prove to do more harm than good, and I won't be any worse off than I was with the stock lights anyway. So overall, it's still an improvement over stock in several aspects, and no worse than stock in others.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Are you guys sure these modded ones will really work better for their main function - to increase visibility at fog / snowstorm instead of creating white wall not far from front of car like main lights may do?
The 2017 BRZ has LED fog lights just like these with the same color temperature, if Subaru thinks it's safe enough it's good for me. If I lived in constant fog I'd get yellow Lamin-X overlays for the LED housings.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote