follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Opethfan

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FT86 in Taiwan whats the deal

I am just wondering what the deal is with this car in Taiwan. I hear they only let 100 of them in for sale at a crazy price.

Since Taiwan is so close to Japan I don't understand. It is a small car that is not fast and is good on gas. I have seen BMW's Lexus and other nice cars there so why is it so hard to get a 86? I even saw a Bentley while I was there. If anyone knows Bentleys they are crazy money and crazy powerful and not great on gas. They don't exactly fit the norm in Asia.

If they did only let 100 of them in to the country I would say I am a lucky guy though lol. I saw two of them in my trips to Taiwan. Both on the highway. One near Taipei and the other was near Taichung. They were both super nice. I wish I could have seen them parked so I could check out the differences between them and mine
Opethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Opethfan

Drives: FRS
Garage
Ok so it looks like I got bad info from people I know

I looked at Toyota dealers in Taiwan and it looks like you can get one for around 40k USD. That is good news but almost double the price of mine. But on the plus side they can get a pimped TRD model we cant. Or Areo as they are called on the site.
Opethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Reflex

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opethfan View Post
I am just wondering what the deal is with this car in Taiwan. I hear they only let 100 of them in for sale at a crazy price.

Since Taiwan is so close to Japan I don't understand. It is a small car that is not fast and is good on gas. I have seen BMW's Lexus and other nice cars there so why is it so hard to get a 86? I even saw a Bentley while I was there. If anyone knows Bentleys they are crazy money and crazy powerful and not great on gas. They don't exactly fit the norm in Asia.

If they did only let 100 of them in to the country I would say I am a lucky guy though lol. I saw two of them in my trips to Taiwan. Both on the highway. One near Taipei and the other was near Taichung. They were both super nice. I wish I could have seen them parked so I could check out the differences between them and mine
No you were right. My family in Taiwan told me when the car was first announced, people who wanted to purchase the car had to enter a lottery and hope that they were one of the 100 people to be drawn in which case they would get the chance to purchase the car. But I guess that's changed and they're importing more? I saw two in Taipei a month or two after they were released
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
jourdanc

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
I was at the Taipei Motor Show in 2013. I spoke to one of their sales guys and was under the impression that the price wasn't too different from the what we get in Australia.

There's a pretty big difference in the average wage though, so I think this would put the car out of reach for many. And if you had that kind of money, you might want to opt for something more 'branded'. Whether it's true or not, my tour guide, who is a Taiwanese local mentioned that they're really big into 'high-tech' internal features (bluetooth, GPS, lane merge detection, etc) and didn't think this car have enough of those features to gain mass appeal there for that price tag.

Here's a couple of links to compare earnings between our cities.

Melbourne, Australia vs Taipei, Taiwan:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ity2=Melbourne

Vermont, USA vs Taipei, Taiwan:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ntpelier%2C+VT

Current Exchange Rate at time of writting:
1 USD = 30.1480 NTD
jourdanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
twmade

Drives: GT86
Where would be a good place to get parts online? Im in Shanghai right now but Taiwan has much better access to JDM products which I wouldn't mind trying out. Taobao does not have a good selection
twmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #6
S7mon

Drives: Toyota 86
What parts are you seeking for? Genuine parts? Or tuning parts actually?
S7mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
twmade

Drives: GT86
Body kit and performance parts
twmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
S7mon

There are indeed some websites you can purchase tuning parts/accessories, sometimes I do check them but I doubt if you can browse them in China since I know the internet there is very restricted.. Most of the time I buy tuning parts through my friend since the rates he gets for me are way better than the online sources bcuz he's doing such parts trading from Japan. Also you need to be prepared for the air shipping fee if you buy many or big stuffs unless you have a freight partner to ship the goods for you by sea shipping..

Here you go some websites, not sure if they work in your region though..

U.S online shops:

EVASIVE Motorsports - http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

FT-86 SpeedFactory - http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/

Japanese online shops:

JAPEX Trading - http://stores.ebay.com/Japex-Trading

Up Garage - http://www.upgarage.com/index_upg.html

The last one is a website in Japanese but it's very useful if you're looking for genuine used spare parts or used tuning parts in very good condition with low prices, sometimes you might find some great deals there. However you need to be able to read Japanese or at least learn how to do search..., also you need to find your own shipping method since the sellers on UP Garage mostly would only do inland transportation in Japan...

There are still some other websites but I cannot list them all.. If you're looking for something particular just feel free to ask, I'll see what I can do or maybe there are some other kind members here would help you out as well..
S7mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
kvnchu

Drives: 2005 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdanc View Post

There's a pretty big difference in the average wage though, so I think this would put the car out of reach for many. And if you had that kind of money, you might want to opt for something more 'branded'. Whether it's true or not, my tour guide, who is a Taiwanese local mentioned that they're really big into 'high-tech' internal features (bluetooth, GPS, lane merge detection, etc) and didn't think this car have enough of those features to gain mass appeal there for that price tag.
A big thing to understand is the way taxes on automobiles work in the country. A rule of thumb is to double car prices in America and you get roughly what the car is worth in Taiwan.

FR-S ~24k = ~48k in TW.
BMW 328i ~35k = ~70k in TW

You wouldn't be able to get anything branded at the pricepoint.

I'll be purchasing a second FR-S in Taiwan as s2k's are difficult to find in TW
Lexus IS350 '07 - Sold
kvnchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
GT86-1

Drives: Sti 08 Tomioka TwinScroll, 86, 999s
40k USD ....YOU R KIDDING ME...FOR REAL MAN...!!!
Bad news in Vietnam we sell GT86 for 80 Grand USD and bloody BRZ for 90k my friends....
The car is no problem... Problem is how to modify it.... No dyno ... No tuner... Road is small and crazy traffic...
GT86-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86-1 For This Useful Post:
weedtank (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86-1 View Post
40k USD ....YOU R KIDDING ME...FOR REAL MAN...!!!
Bad news in Vietnam we sell GT86 for 80 Grand USD and bloody BRZ for 90k my friends....
The car is no problem... Problem is how to modify it.... No dyno ... No tuner... Road is small and crazy traffic...
oh wow! I can buy a M5 already !
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
shbrz

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by twmade View Post
Where would be a good place to get parts online? Im in Shanghai right now but Taiwan has much better access to JDM products which I wouldn't mind trying out. Taobao does not have a good selection
http://www.japanparts.com/ ships to China. I'm based in Shanghai also and have purchased from them. Quick shipping too since they're close. Got my stuff within a week.
shbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
ballsdeep

Drives: Ocho-Seis
Anybody hear about a track opening in Taichung??
ballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #14
pcuerpo

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to pcuerpo Send a message via Yahoo to pcuerpo
will be spending the holidays in Taiwan and are there car shops that you can recommend?

IG: @pcuerpo.images
pcuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote