follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Question] How to remove stains from rustproofing

So I had my FR-S rustproofed a while back. But after having it rustproofed, some "under" parts of my car had some sticky residual goo on them. There's some under the trunk, under my fuel lid cover, and a bit on the interior edge of the car doors. It's kind of sticky like glue, and won't come off if I try to wipe it with just a paper towel and water. I had this happen with my old Corolla, but I didn't really care enough about that old car to clean it up. But I want my FR-S looking nice and clean for spring.

Has anyone had experience cleaning this goo up? Or what kind of products I'll need to clean it up?

Edit: Also, I'm going to give my car a complete washing/detailing for the first time myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction (possibly to a thread on this forum) where I can find a list of all the items I'll need? A step-by-step DIY for a proper detailing would be awesome too if that exists!
Attached Images

i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you could try using rubbing alcohol. I use that stuff for everything! Its usually ok on your clear coat. I would STRONGLY recommend trying on an area you dont see much (eg. inside gas cover) before doing it on any other panel. Discontinue use if paint is damaged. Not responsible for any actions you take but it worked fine on my car.

You could also try goo gone. don't get this confused with goof off. goof off isn't good for youre clear coat.

If you want something weaker you could try a bug and tar degreaser for vehicle use.

any of these should work.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote