follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I ordered and paid around the 20th to the 23rd. They said the part would be available the next tuesday as they were waiting for takeoff plates.

I paid, PM'd them to confirm that they received payment. They responded to that PM, and since then I've sent countless PM's and emails and they are not replying.

I'm hoping they send me my radiator or at least communicate with me soon.

I don't want any other version of radiator/oil cooler.
I have the core but no plate, lines or fittings. Last response I got was Aug 13 saying they would be shipped the next day but no contact since. I can source those items local if need be, but I really like the custom plate that comes with the kit. I am still confident that this is the best solution and I hope the supply issue is resolved soon but I don't like being ignored. May very well be extenuating circumstances so I am not overly concerned.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It is a simple fact that on all FI cars with an intercooler, all the air going through the front of the car needs to go through the intercooler, then AC and then the radiator to provide enough cooling. The RA BRZ in Japan has no AC unit, so had no issues running for multiple 20 minute sessions (an entire days worth) on the stock radiator. But that's also because when we did the install Ross made sure every hole was blocked off, using aluminum and black race tape, and hard rubber pushed up against the bumper. This is to force the air to go through the intercooler/radiator, and It's why we insist on people keeping the bumper undercover and side diverters in place. Subaru spent a lot of time and money making those guides, and we are sure it's for a very good reason. We've seen too many installs where those parts were not fitted back (possibly for some kits because they couldn't be fit anymore), and would not be surprised if that's the reason for cooling issues.

A larger radiator only delays the time it takes for water temps to get too hot if there is not enough air flowing through it for it to cool it down. In our track testing we had the problem at 200+ km (125+ mph) where we would get a rise in temp every time we hit the long straights, then it would cool down when we go through the slower corners. At those speeds we suspect the air is not getting pushed through the front of the car effectively, this is why we are working on a front splitter (photo work in progress). **

Our advice is for track use, the first step is to block every possible exit path for air running to the radiator to make sure it is being used to cool the radiator. On high speed tracks, you will probably need a front splitter to get the air in there. Alway run a good engine oil (AVO Turboworld will have FA20 turbo specific oil released at SEMA show). And most off all, on track days run the best possible gas, any detonation will cause heat in the engine and make the engine run hot.

AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
DAMotorsports (09-08-2013), Frs300 (09-08-2013), ICantAffordAnLFA (09-10-2013), Pitman (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
The AVO kit is pretty good. Keeping the lower engine covers on adds to stationary heatsoak on IAT (getting up towards 60c on hot days). But IAT drops rapidly back towards ambient on take off. Hood vents and insulation delete would probably bring this a good 10c lower.

On the track without any cooling upgrades you're looking at 105c + coolant and 130c + oil temps.

With uprated radiator your coolant temp can drop back to 90-105 range.

With a decent oil cooler your oil temp can drop back to 115-125 range.

An air-oil cooler like a mocal solution will add a considerable amount of heat soak on it's own, from the ~5m of lines that will radiate ~100c of heat when the car is on a run.

The rubberised avo hoses don't help at isolating temps from the FMIC so I am thinking about re-routing or thermal wrapping some of those areas to avoid any efficiency issues on the cooler on long runs above about 110c oil.

nix

Edit.. realised I didn't answer OP's question. I'm using a Koyo radiator with oem hoses/cap and the FBM 19 row Mocal core & sandwich plate oil cooler kit.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
This is why I think the robispec system is the best because the water system is what keeps the oil temps in check, and it eliminates the extra air blockage in front of the radiator and AC cooler all in one swoop.

Now if we could just get the robispec parts we ordered and installed, we'd be all good.

Graphs show they work very well on track usage on keeping both water and oil temps in check.

Some sort of hood vent or air vent to let hot air out of the engine compartment would help a lot too I think.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
This is why I think the robispec system is the best because the water system is what keeps the oil temps in check, and it eliminates the extra air blockage in front of the radiator and AC cooler all in one swoop.

Now if we could just get the robispec parts we ordered and installed, we'd be all good.

Graphs show they work very well on track usage on keeping both water and oil temps in check.

Some sort of hood vent or air vent to let hot air out of the engine compartment would help a lot too I think.
Look at the picture above or this picture though:

I would rather let the radiator do its thing and let my oil cooler cool the oil. I do wish we had some more data on how well a vented hood helps.