follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #43
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you guys using a PNP harness, if so which one? Looking at the head unit and don't want to cut any of the factory wires if I don't have to.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #44
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
It has been enabled, currently when I shift into reverse the reverse camera screen comes up (which means the reverse trigger is working), however I have a black image where my camera should appear.
OK, just checking because that was exactly what I had with mine. It would trigger but I didn't get video, which is what sent me down the rabbit hole looking for a busted wire or something. Once I went into settings and activated the camera, I had video.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #45
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Are you guys using a PNP harness, if so which one? Looking at the head unit and don't want to cut any of the factory wires if I don't have to.
I ordered a harness from autoharnesshouse.com; it consists of the 28 pin harness, USB adapter, Metra adapter to Pioneer direct wire harness, and AM/FM antenna adapter to retain the following:
-Backup camera funtionality
-Auxiliary inputs
-Reverse Gear Signal
-Vehicle Speed SIgnal
-E-brake Signal
-OEM speaker amplifier
-Speaker connections
-Power/Ground connections
-Illumination Power
-Console USB port
-AM/FM Radio

It was plug and play, save for the steering wheel controls on the 2017 (I needed to get an external box).
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #46
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
I ordered a harness from autoharnesshouse.com; it consists of the 28 pin harness, USB adapter, Metra adapter to Pioneer direct wire harness, and AM/FM antenna adapter to retain the following:
-Backup camera funtionality
-Auxiliary inputs
-Reverse Gear Signal
-Vehicle Speed SIgnal
-E-brake Signal
-OEM speaker amplifier
-Speaker connections
-Power/Ground connections
-Illumination Power
-Console USB port
-AM/FM Radio

It was plug and play, save for the steering wheel controls on the 2017 (I needed to get an external box).

Awesome, thanks. Mine is a 2013, so no need for the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #47
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

UPDATE: Still can’t get either the steering wheel controls nor the backup camera working. I tried grounding the video ground to my car as well as my headunit, to no avail. As for the steering wheel controls, I think I may need to rewire it as they are not detecting any connection to the car.

I’m all out of ideas currently.

EDIT:

I think this may have to do with the fact that in Canada, the BRZ had the FujitsuTen nav unit from 2013 up until 2017, whereas in 2016+ the US market cars received the starlink unit, which could be the cause of incompatability of certain features of my headunit, since the harness may be slightly different for the US cars which the AutoHarnessHouse harness is made for.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of each where we can compare? I will try to engage AHH with regards to a solution.

Last edited by JBezugs; 07-30-2018 at 10:18 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #48
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

UPDATE 2:

I think I've figured out my issue, and what I suspected may be correct. It looks like the harness from AutoHarnessHouse (AHH) for 2016+ BRZ's comes with a caveat; it's compatible only with US market 2016+ cars. The Canadian market car seems to have the exact same wiring style as the 2015 and earlier US cars, which means the backup camera and parking brake sensor aren't on the 28 pin harness, but on a seperate, 16 pin harness in addition to the 28 pin for SWC etc.

If you own a Canadian 2016-2017 BRZ, for now do NOT order the 2016+ harness from AHH; it will not retain the backup camera, steering controls or the parking brake sensor for our cars. I'm currently waiting for AHH to respond confirming this fact, but my suspicion is the proper wiring harness for our 2016-2017 Canadian market cars is in fact the 2013-2015 harness.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #49
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Another update! AutoHarnessHouse has confirmed that the 2016-2017 Canadian BRZ has the same harness as the 2015 and earlier cars. They are sending me an updated harness that should fix the issues.

So, if you have a US car with the updated headunit, you’ll have no issue with the harness on their website; however if you have a Canadian 2016-2017 BRZ, order the harness they offer for the 2015 and earlier model years and you should be good.

I have to thank AutoHarnessHouse for helping me out on this. They were awesome to deal with in regards to solving this issue and I would not hesitate to recommend them one bit. If you want a plug and play solution for a headunit in your 86/BRZ, among other vehicles, look no further than them.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #50
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
@JBezugs glad to hear they got you sorted out. I'm curious though, since the pre-facelift BRZ didn't have steering wheel controls, they must have added that wire to the 28 pin harness?
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #51
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
@JBezugs glad to hear they got you sorted out. I'm curious though, since the pre-facelift BRZ didn't have steering wheel controls, they must have added that wire to the 28 pin harness?
I believe the 28 pin harness for steering wheel controls is standard across all years, what was missing from it was primarily the backup camera and parking brake signals. I could be wrong, but I'll update when I get the new harness in. I'll compare it to the old one and see what the differences are.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #52
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Garage
Does this feature Android Auto wireless connectivity like Pioneer's other new Android Auto HUs or is it only active through USB?
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #53
Juzzotec

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
Does this feature Android Auto wireless connectivity like Pioneer's other new Android Auto HUs or is it only active through USB?
USB only which is fine for me.

My only gripe with this unit is uploading custom backgrounds.

Has anyone else ever been able to upload a pic and for it to display clearly, I’ve tried multiple resolutions and file types but they all come out pixelated and look nothing like they do through view.

It’s like it’s compressing the file but I’ve also tried low res and small file size with no success. Other than that, it’s great but dissapointed with that one feature.
Juzzotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #54
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzzotec View Post
USB only which is fine for me.

My only gripe with this unit is uploading custom backgrounds.

Has anyone else ever been able to upload a pic and for it to display clearly, I’ve tried multiple resolutions and file types but they all come out pixelated and look nothing like they do through view.

It’s like it’s compressing the file but I’ve also tried low res and small file size with no success. Other than that, it’s great but dissapointed with that one feature.
Ugh, that's kind of a deal breaker for that price. I really don't want to have to plug in my phone to the headunit every time I get in the car. Does anyone know of an Android Auto HU that features the wireless connectivity and fits our slot?
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #55
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
Ugh, that's kind of a deal breaker for that price. I really don't want to have to plug in my phone to the headunit every time I get in the car. Does anyone know of an Android Auto HU that features the wireless connectivity and fits our slot?

I believe the Kenwood DDX918WS will have this feature in an update, if it doesn't already.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
Deathalo (08-20-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #56
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Good news! The harness arrived from AHH which converts the backup camera 5 pin plug they provide and e brake signal to the 16 pin connector that is from the FujitsuTen unit, so I now have a backup camera!

Still trying to get steering wheel controls to work, but I think I’m going to ditch the Axxess box and attempt to wire up the SWC with the provided pioneer connector as it looks like you can do it through the headunit natively.