follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 PM   #57
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The my subaru app lets you add entries to the service history or print a spreadsheet
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 AM   #58
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pictures are fine as long as it is clear what they are for. Sate stamped pictures of the receipts taken beside the current mileage on the odometer would remove most arguments.
Im done with my warranty but I'm gonna use this on my next car. I tend to lose reciepts, they fade, etc.

Pics with the odometer should solve record keeping issues plus its easy to back that up to multiple save locations just in case

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #59
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So another update. I just got my car back today and it's running well. I'll need to follow break-in procedures but I'm so glad I've got it back after almost 5 weeks without it. WHAT A HUGE RELIEF!

For the curious, this is what was replaced:
10103AC260 - short block assembly
10105AB550 - gasket and seal kit for engine assembly

Then new OEM oil filter/washer/0w-20/coolant. It looks like parts alone came to around $2600.

They arent' sure exactly what caused the failure but oil starvation is a theory. It sounded like the silicone issue is something they've seen with the FA20s but in the metal mesh filter in the engine there wasn't really much there in way of gunk or metal shavings. I was told my engine looked like it had been serviced really well throughout the life of the car and everything was pretty clean. It was definitely an issue with a rod but I didn't get many more details than that.

I did find it interesting that he said I should keep it around 3k RPMs for the first 2500-3000 miles and not getting higher than 5k at all during that period. The 2500-3000 seems a bit excessive but given the amount of experience the techs at the dealership have I'll take their advice. It'll be awhile before I get to really wring it out again. Also worth noting, he also didn't mention any need for an oil change before my next interval in 6k miles.

From here on out it'll be a picture of the oil filter next to the odometer with receipts and a log book.

Last edited by demasrv; 01-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good to hear you got her back and the cost was covered!! So their opinion was that it looked like the engine was well maintained and just failed from oil starvation. Clearly Subaru needs to extend the warrantee on these engines since there is either a design defect or a manufacturing issue that they did not count on. Too many failures IMO even for a new engine.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #61
demasrv

Garage
I've learned a ton about these cars since this thread occurred.

Almost 4 years later, I'm looking at ANOTHER spun rod bearing at 78k miles (back in July). I was driving it pretty spirited (not tracking) and the next morning heard the rod knock. I have a winter beater so I've been driving that, and have opted to rebuild the engine on my own. Today I was able to get everything torn down and confirm it. Short block just arrived at the dealer Friday so hopefully I'll get thing back running with some time off I have during the holidays. The valve spring recall was done at around 65k.

My car has had an OFT with the OFT headers and a Q300 exhaust. Just been running the off-the-shelf tunes.

I picked up a killer-b pickup. Going to install that along with replacing a bunch of other stuff during this rebuild (mostly all OEM).
Old 12-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #62
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demasrv View Post
I've learned a ton about these cars since this thread occurred.

Almost 4 years later, I'm looking at ANOTHER spun rod bearing at 78k miles (back in July). I was driving it pretty spirited (not tracking) and the next morning heard the rod knock. I have a winter beater so I've been driving that, and have opted to rebuild the engine on my own. Today I was able to get everything torn down and confirm it. Short block just arrived at the dealer Friday so hopefully I'll get thing back running with some time off I have during the holidays. The valve spring recall was done at around 65k.

My car has had an OFT with the OFT headers and a Q300 exhaust. Just been running the off-the-shelf tunes.

I picked up a killer-b pickup. Going to install that along with replacing a bunch of other stuff during this rebuild (mostly all OEM).
Do you monitor oil temps? They can get pretty high just on fun roads if you're getting on it

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #63
demasrv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Do you monitor oil temps? They can get pretty high just on fun roads if you're getting on it

I didn't have my data logging running that night but in the past when I'd checked oil temps they were never that high. With where I live, I'm not sure if I'd want to get an oil cooler but I've thought about it.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #64
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i've thought about running an oil cooler. it runs right on the fringe of what i'm comfortable with on long smooth highway trips.

alternative is to install a finned oil pan, though an external cooler with a thermostatic plate would be a better cold-weather alternative so the cooler at least gets shut out of the loop until the motor needs it.

Tags
engine, oil change engine damage, rod knock, warranty