follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Hilux

Drives: 2013 FRS, 1995 Celica GT4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removing smart key door handles

I couldn't find any useful information on how to remove the handles for the smart key doors on the BRZ, and unlike the regular ones which take a few seconds these are much more involved.

Firstly, you have to remove the lock cylinder (same as on the non smart key handle), and the interior door card. Then you have to remove the window and rear track.... I'm sure someone with very small hands and the specifically engineered tools may be able to get at it without doing this, but I found it much easier to just take out the window and track.

A note one removing the window track and window travel limiters - make marks to indicate where these were sitting before you undid the nuts so you don't have the mess around realigning the window afterwards.

Once that is all out, you can see the wiring going to the handle. This plug is what's stopping it from coming out the easy way.

Using a poking tool, or thin screwdriver remove the outer protector to gain access to the actual plug.

Getting the plug out is a bit of a trick as well, I suggest needle nose pliers to depress the clip and pull at the same time. Once this plug is out, the handle is removed just like the regular handles - push back, and pull out.

I looked at modifying the plug so it could be removed the easy way, however the total size of it is the main limiting factor. I suppose it's ok, not like I plan on doing this often
Hilux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilux For This Useful Post:
sashrafi (06-20-2017)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Conti93

Drives: Toyota GT86 First Edition 53/86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SCREW PHOTO BUCKET

I was very lucky that the connector was already loose (I was actually troubleshooting the keyless entry not working on the passenger side..), since it's right behind the glass. Well, actually in this photo the handle is already out, but you get the idea:

The little bastard has three retaining clips; one on the front that holds the connector:

And two, one per side, that hold the rear of the cable to the handle:
Conti93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conti93 View Post
SCREW PHOTO BUCKET

I was very lucky that the connector was already loose (I was actually troubleshooting the keyless entry not working on the passenger side..), since it's right behind the glass. Well, actually in this photo the handle is already out, but you get the idea:
What were your symptoms of the keyless entry not doing anything? Were there any beeps when you tried to use it?
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Conti93

Drives: Toyota GT86 First Edition 53/86
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rek07 View Post
What were your symptoms of the keyless entry not doing anything? Were there any beeps when you tried to use it?
No symptoms at all, except for the fact that the car would not lock/unlock from the passenger side door handle.
A scan with Tech Stream revealed an error on the passenger side door handle, then when I tried to remove the connector it came off easily because it was not plugged in correctly, that's it.
Probably some body shop messed around it, and since it's a used GT86 from the italian Toyota Driving Academy bought by a friend of mine, we're not wondering anymore why it came with a cracked tail light

Last edited by Conti93; 05-04-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Conti93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #5
stefodrom

Drives: GT86 AT 2013
Hi.

I have to post here to correct something, as i wasted 2h yesterday trying to remove the door handle the way its written here but it was impossible as i couldnt counter the screws of the window to get it out.

I wanted remove the door handle to wrap the car, and for sure i also got the smart key ones. You can simply pull the handle out after removing the small lock part with the screw. So you don't even need to remove the inner door pannel.

Simply may sound simply, but it hold really really good. So you pull a little bit out and then to the side, like on every other doorhandle, but super super hard, for real i was a lite bit afraid at first, but it works. If it pops out you can simply unplug the cable.

Thats it.
stefodrom is offline   Reply With Quote