follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
6th-5th grind due to transmission or noob shifting technique?

I've had my car for 2 years now and I've only just noticed this grind when I'm shifting from 6 to 5 when i'm over 3k RPM. Tbh, I may have had this grind since day one, I have been driving conservatively slow on the freeway until recently.

When I downshift from 5-4,4-3, or 3-2, I clutch in first then shift and rev at the same time. I have no issues with those gears. However if I apply the same technique to 6-5 it will grind. The sound is worrisome :/ This occurs over 3000 rpm mostly. On the streets it won't have that issue but then I'm never in 6th and over 3000rpm on the streets.

My only method to avoid the grind so far is to clutch in, rev, THEN shift to 5th. As long as I don't shift and rev at the same time it'll be alright. When I started doing this, I began to wonder if I'm just shifting shitty or if there's an issue with the transmission (which I've seen reports of).
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeah. I have that issue as well. My transmission grinds specifically from 4th to 5th or rev matching from 6th to 5th. Doesn't matter what RPM I'm at, it just grinds if I don't slowly clutch in, shift up/ down, and release clutch while adding gas. It has happened since the day I started driving aggressively (shifting pretty fast) about a year ago. I've just learned to shift conservatively and slowly whenever shifting down or up into 5th. For reference, I currently have the KartBoy Shorter Shifter with transmission bushing, the MTEC Shifting Springs, and a way heavier shift knob installed. Even prior to the grinds, it was pretty prevalent too.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Damn that sucks guys, I don't have this issue but if I did I would be pissed off as hell. Maybe new transmission fluid is in order? I'm running Motul and I don't have any of the issues your describing.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
I have to ask some of these questions to everyone who has transmission problems.
1. Is this your first manual trasmission car? how many years/miles/cars experience?
2. What is your experience with performance oriented manual transmission driving at high rpm? rev matching, etc? what is your fastest shift? what is your slowest?
3. When was the last time you changed gearbox/diff fluid? at how many miles? What did you use?
4. What mods do you have? Shifter, Knob, Bushings, Springs, Adjustment, Spring removal, etc
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 AM   #5
tracerit

I switched to Amsoil fluid at 5k (20k now). Just got back from a 60 mile drive and I couldn't reproduce my grind at all. I did drive another 60 miles earlier in the day. So maybe time for new fluid? I have some Motul 300 sitting in the garage already but I didn't want to put it in if I was going to bring it to the dealership who might drain it out. Perhaps the Amsoil just needed some warming up?

I usually jsut drive 40 miles in the morning and then again at night for work. Today was a rare day where I would drive over the 40 miles. How long does it usually take for the transmission oil to warm up?

I've been driving manual for four years and I've never had a seasoned manual driver critique my driving so hard to day what my skill level is.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #6
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
It could be anything really.
Any shifting mods?
It could be the syncros aren't as good in the higher gears as they are in the lower gears.

Do you rev match every down shift? Or at least at mid to high rpm?
Which fluid did you use? is it gl4 or gl5 rated? weight?
It takes about 10 minutes to warm up the transmission.

I see like you only have the problem going in and out of 5th.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
It could be anything really.
Any shifting mods?
It could be the syncros aren't as good in the higher gears as they are in the lower gears.

Do you rev match every down shift? Or at least at mid to high rpm?
Which fluid did you use? is it gl4 or gl5 rated? weight?
It takes about 10 minutes to warm up the transmission.

I see like you only have the problem going in and out of 5th.
no mods. i'm using Amsoil 75w90 GL4. Always rev match on down shifts, do some people just down shift and let the engine and drivetrain catch up? :/
Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
RacerX

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
no mods. i'm using Amsoil 75w90 GL4. Always rev match on down shifts, do some people just down shift and let the engine and drivetrain catch up? :/
I'm sure many do; it's a bad habit to use the clutch to spool up the engine. Always revmatch.

As I understand it, as soon as you clutch in the engine and gearbox are disconnected and they no longer influence one another. So when you say revving before shifting eliminates the grind doesn't really make sense. Is it grinding as you are moving the stick into gear, or when you're releasing the clutch?

The only way the transmission can grind (unless something is malfunctioning) is if you are letting the clutch out before you are fully engaged in a gear. The 5-6 or 6-5 shift seems to be a problematic for many on this forum. However, there are also alot of novice manual drivers here as well who love complaining. So it's difficult to say whether there really is an issue with those gears, or it just requires a little extra finesse that many lack.

You've been driving this car for 2 years; you're certainly no novice. But if you suspect this grind may have been present since day one, then you can't rule out driver error. It's easy to develop bad habits. Shifting quickly at high RPMs is difficult and requires practice. So before you can say for sure it's a syncho issue just be absolutely sure the shifter slides into gear completely, BEFORE you begin to release the clutch.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's the trans...I had the same issue and Toyota replaced like under warranty.
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Same issue just started for me. No mods to tranny (had weighed shift knob for a bit, but stock right now) 6th to fifth grinds unless i double clutch. it grinds when I'm pushing the lever into 5th. It also doesn't grind if I clutch in -> move lever to between 6th to 5th -> rev match there -> SLOWLY put it in 5th. which takes forever.

Going to have dealership look at it.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
kounkun

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm reading everybody's shift technique and starting to question my own. I have always thrown my car into neutral and let off the clutch to rev match before stepping on the clutch and downshifting. Am I doing it wrong? Is this what Vin diesel refers to as granny shifting?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
funked1

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited WRB 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kounkun View Post
I have always thrown my car into neutral and let off the clutch to rev match before stepping on the clutch and downshifting.
That's a proper double declutch. Shouldn't have to do it with a synchromesh box, but Subaru gearboxes are "special".
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@tracerit, my hunch is that your rev matching is off by a few hundred RPM during your down change, which I've found this transmission to be very sensitive to. Try concentrating on matching revs more precisely and see if it eliminates the issue your experiencing, or double clutch during down changes. If you don't have experience double clutching, do some research - as alluded to by @kounkun, there a proper technique that needs to be mastered.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #14
tracerit

the grinding occurs during the actual shifting from 6th to 5th, all while the clutch is fully in. Tonight I drove the car after having not used it the entire day and couldn't reproduce my grind, was downshifting 6-5 again and again for a good 3 miles on the freeway.

Thinking about it now, I mainly notice this problem on my way home from work in the morning. I work graveyards and although I park in a parking structure, it is exposed to the weather somewhat.