follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #365
raven1231
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,561
Thanks: 8,252
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,658 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
I'll translate the article. Same old car, 5hp increase. No sti. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
But but but...you forgot the prius front end!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #366
Dake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: Houston
Posts: 593
Thanks: 103
Thanked 361 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I can't possibly be the only person in the world that actually likes the stock rims can I?
Yes I said RIMS since I am talking about the hard part in the center.
I liked them much better in person than I thought I would - I don't think they photograph well. I have since replaced them, but only because I got a really good deal (and I've kept the OEM rims for my track tires).
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #367
daiheadjai
Senior Member
 
daiheadjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2003 S2000
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,742
Thanks: 1,872
Thanked 952 Times in 574 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is probably pretty close even if just a best guess.


Toyota seems to be particularly good at taking a beautiful design and making it progressively uglier with each facelift.

7th Gen Celica is one example, when they moved to a vacuum cleaner snout.
Even the 2002-2006 Camry had this happen. And the Yaris/Echo. And the MR2 Spyder.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #368
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 50,402
Thanks: 44,980
Thanked 69,271 Times in 31,405 Posts
Mentioned: 1858 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Toyota seems to be particularly good at taking a beautiful design and making it progressively uglier with each facelift.

7th Gen Celica is one example, when they moved to a vacuum cleaner snout.
Even the 2002-2006 Camry had this happen. And the Yaris/Echo. And the MR2 Spyder.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Well in fairness what is "ugly" is pretty subjective and for every person that thinks a change is for the worse there will be somebody that thinks it is a vast improvement. Much of the dislike of a facelift is related to a subconscious resistance to change. People all the time say "the first model of the XXXX looked the best". Much of that is because the first version was new and exciting but facelifts are just not as much fun to see so the original is held as a higher standard. If this facelift came out first and was what everybody was used to then many would think the current version was ugly if the car was changed to it. It is just the way the brain works.
Cosmetic and body designs change based upon market research, trend analysis and current culture and are not just random events. The people that planned the changes do not live in a cave and just throw random shit at the car those changes are well researched and planned for what the current trend is.


Having said all that I am not convinced I like the change but will have to see the real thing before I make up my mind. I can never tell just how good or bad a car's lines look in 2 dimensional pictures so reserve judgement until I can walk around one.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-13-2016), wireman957 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #369
wireman957
Senior Member
 
wireman957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 466
Thanks: 1,387
Thanked 544 Times in 279 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well in fairness what is "ugly" is pretty subjective and for every person that thinks a change is for the worse there will be somebody that thinks it is a vast improvement. Much of the dislike of a facelift is related to a subconscious resistance to change. People all the time say "the first model of the XXXX looked the best". Much of that is because the first version was new and exciting but facelifts are just not as much fun to see so the original is held as a higher standard. If this facelift came out first and was what everybody was used to then many would think the current version was ugly if the car was changed to it. It is just the way the brain works.
Cosmetic and body designs change based upon market research, trend analysis and current culture and are not just random events. The people that planned the changes do not live in a cave and just throw random shit at the car those changes are well researched and planned for what the current trend is.


Having said all that I am not convinced I like the change but will have to see the real thing before I make up my mind. I can never tell just how good or bad a car's lines look in 2 dimensional pictures so reserve judgement until I can walk around one.
Excellent points, @Tcoat. A good analogy might be in the music world. Many bands have had incredible, and well-received 1st albums for which they had years to write and lots of material to pick from. Think of how many sophomore albums have been less well-received...mostly due to a more compressed time frame in which to produce them and having the bar set by their first. Only a very few bands have been successful at re-inventing themselves throughout their career to the point that everything after the breakthrough album was considered as good or better. There are a lot of one hit wonders but not a lot whose later efforts are as much appreciated as the first.
__________________
"No matter where you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai
wireman957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireman957 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #370
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 50,402
Thanks: 44,980
Thanked 69,271 Times in 31,405 Posts
Mentioned: 1858 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman957 View Post
Excellent points, @Tcoat. A good analogy might be in the music world. Many bands have had incredible, and well-received 1st albums for which they had years to write and lots of material to pick from. Think of how many sophomore albums have been less well-received...mostly due to a more compressed time frame in which to produce them and having the bar set by their first. Only a very few bands have been successful at re-inventing themselves throughout their career to the point that everything after the breakthrough album was considered as good or better. There are a lot of one hit wonders but not a lot whose later efforts are as much appreciated as the first.
That works very well actually.
There are really two major ways that people can accept change in music or cars.


Little change from the original with the base remaining pretty true over the years but taking new tech into account.



=





Or


Stick to one theme for a handful of years and then totally redesign with just hints at the past incarnation.







=







Otherwise people just tend to go for what is really new and fresh but give up on it when it changes to much.



=


__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Juvenile (03-13-2016), wireman957 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #371
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo
 
Mr.Impreza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2018 STI
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 1,713
Thanks: 4,042
Thanked 1,538 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I also love the stock rims and I believe they suit the car the best. A lot of aftermarket rims make the car look cheaper. Toyota/Subaru designed a great matching wheel for our cars.
__________________
2018 Subaru WRX STI ~ The Family Car ~
2015 Toyota 86 ~ The Weekend Car ~ Build Journal

OFT Stage 1 Tune Review

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
buttlift

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NJ FR-S spotted? JERZgrl88 NY / NJ / CT / PA 1811 10-12-2017 04:15 PM
2011 Lotus Elise Facelift Revealed vh_supra26 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 21 02-19-2016 04:13 PM
Spotted sav AFRICA 730 05-16-2015 08:22 AM
2013 Toyota Mark X facelift revealed for Japan quik1987 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 9 10-17-2012 12:58 PM
BRZ spotted in NSW Nardi330 AUSTRALIA 40 04-19-2012 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.