follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
SneakyPete

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VA Cops on 495 express lanes

So I was driving on 95/495 through VA and I noticed VA state troopers lasering/radaring cars from the inside shoulder of the 495 express lanes. The cop was actually outside of his car, standing on top of the concrete median, shooting laser/radar at oncoming traffic on the other side of the median. I'm guessing they had a chase car somewhere on the other side. I wish I had a dashcam so I could post pictures of this craziness.

It's amazing the lengths VA cops will go to just to catch speeders. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SneakyPete For This Useful Post:
Jahdai42 (02-18-2013), swift996 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Jahdai42
Bajan Yankee

Drives: 2016 4-Runner Trail
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Saw an undercover white Mustang on 66 near 495 had an eclipse pulled over when I went by.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
its a huge source of revenue, and fairfax county has quotas they have to meet. Each officer has to issue (x) amount of violations a month. This helps ensure a steady revenue for the county.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Thanks for reporting. Just wait until they get their UAVs. I remember when the State Troopers use to fly planes over the interstate to ticket speeders. Obviously the growing cost of the initiative grounded the effort pretty quickly.

From my experience Stafford, Fairfax, and whatever county over the VA/NC border seem to be the most desperate to ticket motorists. I think I got a ticket by the border for 71 mph about 8 years ago when the speed limit was 65, now it's 70...go figure.

Honestly, that's the reason I don't want an exhaust...I don't want any attention from the boys in blue. I've was the victim of harassment as a teenager, it just isn't worth it.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Thanks for the note I was wondering when they would start pointing that thing on the other side.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
BoostinIX
Gettin SIKKY sideways

Drives: '97 S14.5 / '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BoostinIX Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinIX
That white 05+ mustang gets people all the time on 66.

And the ICC/Express are huuuuuuuuuuge cop traps.

BoostinIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
Honestly, that's the reason I don't want an exhaust...I don't want any attention from the boys in blue. I've was the victim of harassment as a teenager, it just isn't worth it.
Yeah kinda in same boat, tips are good looking too and its like the car is already looking amazing and power is good enough and still fun to drive and do what you please within the driving limits so dont really need to buy extra performance parts plus the money can be used towards monthly payments
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
swift996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
Yeah kinda in same boat, tips are good looking too and its like the car is already looking amazing and power is good enough and still fun to drive and do what you please within the driving limits so dont really need to buy extra performance parts plus the money can be used towards monthly payments
I've got the tuning bug but that's a good strategy. I usually tell people buy the expectation. It cost a lot of money, time, and hassle to mod a car. All in all the performance while improved is still bound by the car's limits. After owning several fast cars, I always recommend a 911 Turbo if you want speed with braking/handling performance. Porsche is really the only car manufacturer that I've owned/driven that got it right from the factory. Obviously there is a huge price gap, but it all makes sense when you drive it. My 911 was 10x better than my M3 and the performance gaps aren't that significant. I really wish I could afford a 2014 Cayman S but the BRZ will have to do for a while. I think I can get the performance pretty close to the Cayman S. However, in general how often are you going to use 5-8whp at 6k rpms when your exhaust is screaming? As another side note - I have found that the more expensive or class up the car is, the cops tend to not mess with you as much.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
I usually tell people buy the expectation. It cost a lot of money, time, and hassle to mod a car. All in all the performance while improved is still bound by the car's limits.
What you mean by expectation, but yea i agree. I just want my car to look good to me.
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Mach V Dan
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2015 WRX, 2000 RSTi
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
its a huge source of revenue...
I don't think so. Figure the average speeding ticket takes the officer 45 minutes to stop you, write up the ticket, send you on your way, and pull his car around to be in position for the next ticket. Say the ticket is for $200. The officer makes $25 an hour including benefits. The court processing costs maybe $50. The police cruiser costs another $10 an hour. Payment processing costs another $10. Maybe 10% of the people never pay, so that's $20 off. I'm up to $110 out of your $200 ticket, just in costs, and I'm sure there are costs I haven't thought of. I don't think this kind of ticket is any kind of substantial cash generator for the state.

--Dan
Mach V
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
I don't think so. Figure the average speeding ticket takes the officer 45 minutes to stop you, write up the ticket, send you on your way, and pull his car around to be in position for the next ticket. Say the ticket is for $200. The officer makes $25 an hour including benefits. The court processing costs maybe $50. The police cruiser costs another $10 an hour. Payment processing costs another $10. Maybe 10% of the people never pay, so that's $20 off. I'm up to $110 out of your $200 ticket, just in costs, and I'm sure there are costs I haven't thought of. I don't think this kind of ticket is any kind of substantial cash generator for the state.

--Dan
Mach V
VA law code:
"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue." (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Most people prepay the tickets, and it is a multi-million dollar revenue stream. Its a rare occasion in which people actually win in court against an officer, so factor in court costs etc and its a nice profit per ticket written.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
swift996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
What you mean by expectation, but yea i agree. I just want my car to look good to me.
Oh sorry, meaning buy something close to the performance capability or styling you want if you don't want to go through the pain of modding. It's a double edged sword. Modding can be a hobby, fun, and creative but for the wrong person, it can be a nightmare depending on the mods you do.

My philosophy is to keep it simple and expand what is OEM. At this point my BRZ is my DD so I suppose if it was a track machine my perspective might change. I'm just blabbering on...

The Following User Says Thank You to swift996 For This Useful Post:
Marcoscrdo (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
swift996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
VA law code:
"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue." (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Most people prepay the tickets, and it is a multi-million dollar revenue stream. Its a rare occasion in which people actually win in court against an officer, so factor in court costs etc and its a nice profit per ticket written.
How are the civil fees ruled on? I'm not familiar with them.

I think there is a growing amount of push-back on red-light cameras because they assume guilt. I'm no lawyer but certainly a concerned citizen who want's to protect individual rights.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post

--Dan
Mach V
This is 100% wrong! If you don't know that speeding tickets are a cash grab you haven't been driving for long enough.

Your imaginary numbers are well.. imaginary. You have no clue how much money is generated by these tickets and your assumptions on costs are a joke. 45 minutes to write a ticket? My friend is a cop and can pump out tickets with ease and he often does more than one ticket at a time when he pulls someone.

If you don't know the answer - why must you hit the reply button? This is a rhetorical question in case you were actually going to make up another reply on the spot.

To add to this. The insurance companies LOVE overly aggressive speed catching cops. Instant 30% rate hike! <-This is the number in Ontario.. no idea what it is in the states but I'm sure y'all get raped all the same from your insurance companies.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orthow For This Useful Post:
IloveBaldEagles (02-20-2013)