follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #85
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
This is why I said in the original post if anyone has tried BOTH the Unichip and an ECUtek reflash lol.

From what I can tell does, it does not seem like anyone has done this.
That would be because it appeals to two completely different markets. One changes actual parameters in your ECUs tables, the other intercepts signals and modifies what is input to the ECU from the sensor.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #86
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Uh it does cater to the same market, people wanting more power out of the car... Most people aren't all that concerned about how it is done.

Personally there are tables in the ECU such as the VVTi tables, rev limits, the ability to change the rev limiter logic, etc. the Unichip just can't do, so I chose Ecutek.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #87
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Uh it does cater to the same market, people wanting more power out of the car... Most people aren't all that concerned about how it is done.

Personally there are tables in the ECU such as the VVTi tables, rev limits, the ability to change the rev limiter logic, etc. the Unichip just can't do, so I chose Ecutek.
I believe it can change the rev limit. Their just unsure if its worth putting the engine under more stress for a few more mph in a gear. Truth be told for the price that I paid for the unichip...it's a hell of a deal. Big comparison will be e85!!! You can't go wrong with either of them. The selling point for me was the price and the ability to easily customize my tunes free of charge...nice not having to pay per tune is sweet.
husker741 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #88
Flako

Drives: Asphalt scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ok so I'm a hardcore noob to this and I'm confused, my car has a Injen intake the year is stalk, which tune would be better for me I'm not a tuner?, also will these work with automatics?
Flako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flako For This Useful Post:
Visconti (03-20-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #89
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flako View Post
Ok so I'm a hardcore noob to this and I'm confused, my car has a Injen intake the year is stalk, which tune would be better for me I'm not a tuner?, also will these work with automatics?
Best tune for your car is definitely Visconti's Ecutek tune. Better performance, better features, no labor or installation charges. And our kit includes the cable and software license so you'll always be able to update to the latest maps and features as they become available - without any added cost!

The links to purchase these kits are probably in this thread but why don't you message me and I'll make sure to send you the correct links for your auto trans. Or don't hesitate to let me know if you have further questions.

-Rich
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
Flako (03-21-2013), Visconti (03-20-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #90
FAC3M3LTER

Drives: Pearl White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
After installing the unichip in my scion frs my 0-60 times did improve, id say about .3 - .5 faster. Throttle response did improve. It's not a huge difference and not worth 450 bucks if you can snag one for 200 -300 I would say its worth it. But at the current price tag of 450 just go with an ecutek tune. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the exhaust note us louder slightly, and my girlfriend thought it sounded a little louder to
FAC3M3LTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FAC3M3LTER For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #91
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
I'm considering purchasing a unichip, and then going with Visconti/FA20club tune to see if I can find any noticeable difference.

Would anybody be interested in such a comparison? I would be dynoing both of the products, and do extensive road testing with each. Maybe a few videos, but I don't have a good camera so it'd probably be limited to my android phone.

I'm really curious and would love to clear some stigma from unichip as I honestly believe it to be either very close or just as good as the ecutek tunes.

...And then I'll probably be going e85 (ecutek probably as unichip doesn't have a tune out for it yet apparently)*
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #92
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Sorry funds are starting to become tighter. I'm actually planning on going ecutek with e85. I'm not really a fan of what I've heard from members who've gone unichip. But I might do both and post a review later down the road!
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonolin For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #93
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC3M3LTER View Post
After installing the unichip in my scion frs my 0-60 times did improve, id say about .3 - .5 faster. Throttle response did improve. It's not a huge difference and not worth 450 bucks if you can snag one for 200 -300 I would say its worth it. But at the current price tag of 450 just go with an ecutek tune. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the exhaust note us louder slightly, and my girlfriend thought it sounded a little louder to
That's exactly what I've been hearing from other members.

Glad someone posted it

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #94
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
question about ECUTek can it be re-flashed to oem if you have to go to the dealer for something? IMO thats a big selling point for me on the unichip.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #95
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
question about ECUTek can it be re-flashed to oem if you have to go to the dealer for something? IMO thats a big selling point for me on the unichip.
Yup!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #96
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC3M3LTER View Post
What mods do you have and what map were you running?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #97
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Yup!
Can the dealer see that the ecu has been played with? Because again, you can go to the dealer with the unicip off the car and you're sweet. If I was you (and I am refering to both Unicip and the rest), instead of bagging the competition or even do the high school "yeah but mine does this and his doesn't" Of ffs sake, grow up! If I was you, I would put a nice spreadsheet together with advantages and disadvantages and let the market decide.

Something like this:

Issue/parameter/option Unicip Visconti etc.

E85 No (in development) Yes
Equipment required Cable, blah blah blah blah
Etc.

Come on guys, be smart! Show you care about the customer and the decision they make. Give them the choice, tell them the advantages and disadvantages, limitation and potential, price, etc. make it a sticky and let others decide. I am sick of sellers here baggin one another's product. Be bloody open about the weaknesses and strenghts of your product and I am sure people will appreciate it. If we have more questions I am sure you will be able to answer it.
I love when someone takes initiative, puts some effort into it and does what @FT-86 SpeedFactory did with the headers thread.

More of them like this.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #98
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Can the dealer see that the ecu has been played with? Because again, you can go to the dealer with the unicip off the car and you're sweet. If I was you (and I am refering to both Unicip and the rest), instead of bagging the competition or even do the high school "yeah but mine does this and his doesn't" Of ffs sake, grow up! If I was you, I would put a nice spreadsheet together with advantages and disadvantages and let the market decide.

Something like this:

Issue/parameter/option Unicip Visconti etc.

E85 No (in development) Yes
Equipment required Cable, blah blah blah blah
Etc.

Come on guys, be smart! Show you care about the customer and the decision they make. Give them the choice, tell them the advantages and disadvantages, limitation and potential, price, etc. make it a sticky and let others decide. I am sick of sellers here baggin one another's product. Be bloody open about the weaknesses and strenghts of your product and I am sure people will appreciate it. If we have more questions I am sure you will be able to answer it.
I love when someone takes initiative, puts some effort into it and does what @FT-86 SpeedFactory did with the headers thread.

More of them like this.

I love when people search !

Been talked about multiply times