follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #3011
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Ethanol free is why you are chirp free. Doesn't always work though.
It does always work in countries that don't have ethanol or very limited availability like here.

That suggests the 'ethanol free' that causes the chirps in the US still has some ethanol.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #3012
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm at the end of my rope, and i'm not an excitable person.

lately my crickets went from non existent, to damn spiteful. I can hear them clearly in the car right up until 1k rpm now.

last week i went into my dealer friday evening, told by the sales guy that the tech would be in for the morning and would call me right away. the sales person heard my car as i rolled up and seemed "concerned'.

fast forward a week later, still no call. no chance to get on them because ive been super busy moving my girlfriend for school. so i call saturday just to be told by another sales guy that the techs left, and would call me first thing monday...

so i just got back from the dealer after no call again, even though i felt like a **** i made it pretty clear i was unhappy while in the showroom and there was other costumers, hoping that would get some attention. anyways the tech told me there is nothing from subaru canada sayin anything about it, and that they cant touch it without word from them. At this point im getting fucking pissed, seemed like they were just giving me the run around again, and the tech never even went out and looked at my car. they kept playing dumb, sayin theyve never heard it before on any of there brzs blah blah blah theyll call me back once the tech gets ahold of subaru of canada. another phone call ill probably never get.

phoned subaru canada, to talk to a snotty girl that couldnt confirm what they were supposed to do, couldnt confirm if there was a new pump, or even if it was a known issue. after she asked me how i knew what it was i said " because thousands of people with the same car as me communicate on the internet". to that she told me i cant beleive everythin i read off google..... ughhhhhh. so now subaru of canada said they were gunna call and communicate with the tech, and the tech also said he was finally goin to call them, so between the two of them maybe some communication will occur.

sorry for the bit of a rant, im mad, im not ediiting, and just want advice.

the chirping didnt bother me at first, but now with how bad it has got over the past couple weeks its starting to get real annoying, and the complete lack of support on a car with less than 5k is a real kick in the face. like youd think there would be a procedure if this many people have the issue, not just lie and say, meh, dunno, never heard of it, no bulletin, etc.

this shit is ruining my 86 bliss
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #3013
sierra

How about pulling up right outside the showroom, opening the bonnet/hood and leaving it running while you go and talk to the new car sales staff. Lead them out to the car to talk about it explaining how you've been treated.
They will want to get rid of you as quickly as possible, so you could insist on someone from the service dept sorting it out right there or you're not leaving?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #3014
Struckbylitenin

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Muskokan, give the 2t oil trick a try. Its a decent temporary remedy until the issue gets fixed. Sucks to pay a lil more in order to add it every fill-up but having the crickets instantly go away is worth it.

Better than getting your blood pressure up too
Struckbylitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #3015
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struckbylitenin View Post
Muskokan, give the 2t oil trick a try. Its a decent temporary remedy until the issue gets fixed. Sucks to pay a lil more in order to add it every fill-up but having the crickets instantly go away is worth it.

Better than getting your blood pressure up too
If you check your fuel consumption you should find it more than pays for the 20-30cents it costs when you fill up.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #3016
Struckbylitenin

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
If you check your fuel consumption you should find it more than pays for the 20-30cents it costs when you fill up.

That was the case at 1st, but not hearing the crickets puts me in such a good mood that gravity beneath my right foot seems to increase
Struckbylitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Struckbylitenin For This Useful Post:
sierra (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #3017
Cu0ngsayz

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My car is also getting louder. I thought it was tnormal since it's DI. I have friends that have DI (IS350 and 2013 sonata) but they don't have the chirping squeaking noise!! Is there a solution to this yet?

Edit: did a little browsing around and kind my answer.

Last edited by Cu0ngsayz; 10-22-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Cu0ngsayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #3018
Muskokan

My dealer just phoned me, said he's in contact with techline and they are arranging the parts. Ofcourse I asked if it was actually a different design, and he seemed to think it was.

Not getting my hopes up, cause I've seen a lot of posts already like this, but should know soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #3019
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
My dealer just phoned me, said he's in contact with techline and they are arranging the parts. Ofcourse I asked if it was actually a different design, and he seemed to think it was.

Not getting my hopes up, cause I've seen a lot of posts already like this, but should know soon.
Where in Ontario r u located?
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #3020
Muskokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
Where in Ontario r u located?
... In the muskokas lol northern cottage country.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #3021
Whiteout_FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
The dealership I work at is opening a case with Toyota today, hopefully our master tech can figure out what may be wrong, Tried the no ethanol trick with no luck, still have crickets and already on one new pump.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #3022
Muskokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteout_FRS View Post
The dealership I work at is opening a case with Toyota today, hopefully our master tech can figure out what may be wrong, Tried the no ethanol trick with no luck, still have crickets and already on one new pump.
When you say new pump you mean a different pump? And are you saying he's looking for another problem other than the pump? If you work at a dealer please be our inside scoop on how these guys go about this.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #3023
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I just thought I'd update you guys on my 4th pump.

So far, so good. I've put over 1000 miles on it and I have yet to hear any chirps.

Rattles, though. Omg there are so many new rattles.

And I'm getting a weird idle dip issue. Gonna have to take it back to the dealership, I guess.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (10-22-2013), ntr0py (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #3024
Whiteout_FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokan View Post
When you say new pump you mean a different pump? And are you saying he's looking for another problem other than the pump? If you work at a dealer please be our inside scoop on how these guys go about this.
Yes, I've already had the pump replaced once, he is opening the case today and is going to check on a couple of other factors he thinks it could be. Right now he said he just has to call and see if Toyota has reported any fixes currently, and if not he will check out other possible causes. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens...