follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #71
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Actually I have to admit, I realized that I engaged in a subjective approach to the overall topic because I was so ignorant of the typical person who doesn't use their car to engage in physical activity. See, if I had racks, I wouldn't even take them off because every weekend or so I need to travel to the middle of nowhere in California to do bike races. With that in mind, taking off the bike racks would actually negate the praticality if I took them on and off every weekend. I was speaking through my point of view and to people whom share the similar experience. Plus my bike easily fits in the trunk. And if the FR-S can fit a two pairs of 17" wheels with tires, it could definitely fit my bike.

In other words, I had forgotten that there are actually people who only use the roof racks every now and then, maybe for a special occasion.

I know that decent aftermarket roof racks could cost up to $500 (Yakima, Thule) alone for just the crossbars and the mounts, but you could expect a higher for an "OEM" one.

So sorry again, I was speaking for myself.
My hat's off to you for being conciliatory, though I don't understand why using it infrequently would make it more sensible. I ride often and will leave the crossbars on permanently (and take the bike racks off during winter).

I agree the racks look a bit unusual on a tiny coupe compared to a hatchback, but IDGAF (as coyote wrote, function over form).
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #72
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The rack will hurt gas mileage slightly. That is one reason for taking it off when you aren't using it. Also, it's harder to wash under the rack. So it sort of hurts "function" if you aren't getting the mileage you should because you don't feel like taking off a rack that you don't plan on using for a few months (but it all depends on the individual and their needs).
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #73
Will

Drives: Toyota Caldina GT Four
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Racks

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if there are Toyota or after market roof racks or bike racks available for the 86 yet?
Cheers, it would be my only hesitation in selling my caldina to buy an 86 I need to carry my bike
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #74
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Why is everyone making a big stink about it? Toyota used to make OEM roof racks for their sports cars; hard to say if they will now but they still offer roof racks for the Tundra, Tacoma, Matrix, 4Runner, etc. Here's a couple older Toyotas rockin' Yakima racks:

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #75
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Ignore all these posers.

Who gives a crap what the car looks like on your road trip as long as it delivers what you need.

I'm sure there will be good 3rd party rack options if suby/toyo don't deliver anything.

I fully intend on doing at least one 1000km 'pile the car to the top' style ski trip with the 86 as well.
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nix For This Useful Post:
Brett (06-14-2012), Dadhawk (06-14-2012), dietz (06-14-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #76
Fazzster

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Kona N, 2022 Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wrote to Curt and Drawtite about a trailer hitch. Only Curt responded by stating it is unlikely because of the rear muffler and rear valence.

Yakima is waiting to get their hands on the actual car for test fitting. They said if one of the exsisting kits fit, it will take a month. If they have to engineer a unique kit, it will take around 6 months.

or you can take a chance on the Seasucker system....
http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Last edited by Fazzster; 06-22-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Fazzster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fazzster For This Useful Post:
dietz (06-22-2012), slaxx (06-23-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #77
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm not sure why so many seem to think that putting a rack on the FR-S/BRZ would ruin the "aesthetics" of the car? An old saying comes to mind, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :happy0180: Having been all over the world, it seems that Americans are one of the few cultures that needs a specific "tool" for every job. Sorry, but the older I get the less inclined I am to throw away money on having multiple vehicles just so I have something practical to throw my bikes in when I want to drive somewhere to ride. Plus, for many people, they don't have the money to own multiple vehicles. Personally, I think this car will look fine with a rack one on it. I'm actually looking forward to seeing a picture with one it. And yes, you can drive a rear wheel performance car in all weather conditions if you're not an idiot. I DD my 470rwhp Shelby in snow and ice over two winter seasons in VA and it can be done.

53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #78
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i would much rather put a bike on a roof rack than try to shove it into my trunk, most likely scuffing up plastic and carpet.

i know what a trunk looks like after years of abuse, i would much rather have a neat rack to take on and off for biking trips.

looking forward to a quality solution for the FRS and will actually be my first "mod"
Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #79
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would be first in line to put a hitch receiver on the back - especially if it could be somehow stealth under the unused red 3rd light. But looking under there, I see no good way to mount one.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #80
Slonie

Drives: Only ridiculous cars
One option that I've considered is to use the factory tow-hook mounting points for a rear bike carrier. This is how the OEM rack (and a few aftermarket ones) works on some Mini and BMW vehicles.

One example:

This would really be the best, in my opinion. All the advantages (except for ease-of-removal) of a hitch rack, and no need to go up on the roof. One of the aftermarket ones even has a regular receiver so you can use the bike rack of your choice (or other things, like a cargo tray, or a ball hitch)

The only downside might be that there's less overall demand to carry bikes on this car than on a Mini... But it doesn't seem like the fabrication would be too complicated to do a setup like the aftermarket one. Maybe we could even petition the company that makes it to do a variant of the receiver-type for the FR-S/BRZ. I'd be first in line... (note: I'd call it by name instead of "The aftermarket one", except that I forgot already. Gotta dig the site back up...)
Slonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #81
Slonie

Otherwise, there'll be roof racks with a little patience. I've got few problems with "ruining" a sports car's aesthetics with a roof rack, but I find hitch racks to be far superior in terms of noise, wind resistance, and the all-important "don't destroy your bike by driving into a garage" metric.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #82
Laurie

Drives: Toyota86, MX5, Jeep, FJ45, 59 Caddy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonie View Post
One option that I've considered is to use the factory tow-hook mounting points for a rear bike carrier. This is how the OEM rack (and a few aftermarket ones) works on some Mini and BMW vehicles.

One example:

This would really be the best, in my opinion. All the advantages (except for ease-of-removal) of a hitch rack, and no need to go up on the roof. One of the aftermarket ones even has a regular receiver so you can use the bike rack of your choice (or other things, like a cargo tray, or a ball hitch)

The only downside might be that there's less overall demand to carry bikes on this car than on a Mini... But it doesn't seem like the fabrication would be too complicated to do a setup like the aftermarket one. Maybe we could even petition the company that makes it to do a variant of the receiver-type for the FR-S/BRZ. I'd be first in line... (note: I'd call it by name instead of "The aftermarket one", except that I forgot already. Gotta dig the site back up...)
That is clever - I'd be up for one of those if they made 'em.

Normally use my other Toyota to haul the mountain bike - but there's some places I'd like to take the bike that are just further away than I would like to go in a non-airconditioned 30 year old truck

2013 Toyota 86 - 2008 Mazda MX5
2001 Jeep Wrangler - 1982 FJ-45 Land Cruiser Pick-Up
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #83
Slonie

Holy crap, I'm jealous of that FJ. And yes, I've considered "an additional vehicle" as one solution to the bike problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #84
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Is this really a usual Yakima rack?! Any part no?

Where can I get it for my MKII MR2?

oh, and sorry for
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, roof rack