follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Continental ExtremeContact DW, experiences?

Since I don't know when or if I am getting a BRZ this summer I need some new summer tires. Not looking to spend a fortune so I'm basically looking two tires: Sumitomo HTR Z III and Continental ExtremeContact DW since my tire size is 215/50/17

Wanted to know if anyone has experience with how long the wet layer lasts. Or any other tire suggestions
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have had great experience with Continental tires. Currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS on both of our cars. They have been fantastic. Great traction in rain and snow. Quiet at highway speeds. And great traction/handling on dry. For a summer tire I am sure the DW would be just as good. I say go for it. I expect the tires to last over 50k as that is what the previous set did. I believe it was close to 55k.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I used to run Conti Contact II's 255/35/19 F and 285/30/19 R before on my old G35 and I really liked them. They were extremely quiet and were great on wet roads. I wouldn't say they were better than Michellins PSII's or Bridgestones but they weren't that far off. They're fairly cheap too.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've got the Sumitomo HTZ III on my M3, switching to Dunlop Star Specs this weekend (I'm very excited). The problem with the Sumitomos was after 3 autocross laps, they turn into greaseballs. Not a bad tire to DD, but doesn't cut the mustard on an autocross course. They never were great in the rain, but my M3 likes to get loose in the rain regardless of the tire. But yeah, excited about switching to the star specs.

I've got Dunlop SP SportMaxx TT on my Civic Si, and those have been great in the rain. Just a hair squishier than I thought I'd like, but they've been perfect daily driver tires.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Conti ECDW is a phenomenal tire. Two years ago I never thought I would say that about a three-season performance tire, but I've now got them on both my car (tC) and my wife's (Integra).

I personally wouldn't use them as a track day tire except in the wet (which I have done) but if you are only doing one HPDE or a couple AXs a year they will hold up fine in all but brutally hot weather. In the wet, the DW will smoke just about any other comparatively priced performance tire on the market [there is another thread on here about tires where I posted a bunch of test data].
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I have a set of ECDWs on my spec.B for the summer. Excellent wet traction, great dry grip, and very quiet for a max performance tire. They are also rather light and inexpensive. The only downside is that they don't have the sharpest turn-in. And their rounded shoulders mean you're not getting the largest contact patch you could get for the tire width.

But if you're not counting 10ths, this is a great tire choice and I don't hesitate to recommend it for a summer daily driver tire.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote