follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #3487
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My car is sold...…...moving onto to STR

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #3488
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
My car is sold...…...moving onto to STR

Simmons
Go kick some ass. Its going to be full of "oh shit, I'm 30hp down" I bet. Should be a blast.
DocWalt (10-06-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #3489
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86prime View Post
Just read September Fastrack... tS is in C-Street at least
https://www.scca.com/pages/fastrack-news
That is what I figured it would be due to the brakes alone on the tS.

I've ran my tS in CS a month ago and wasn't giving it the full beans just yet. In comparison to the others in my class, I was 1.8s off from the other ND miatas that were setup and had the stickier tires. I know I can close the gap with some tires/front sway bar and maybe a lighter exhaust once I get used to throwing it into a corner with full commitment.
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #3490
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadotracker View Post
That is what I figured it would be due to the brakes alone on the tS.

I've ran my tS in CS a month ago and wasn't giving it the full beans just yet. In comparison to the others in my class, I was 1.8s off from the other ND miatas that were setup and had the stickier tires. I know I can close the gap with some tires/front sway bar and maybe a lighter exhaust once I get used to throwing it into a corner with full commitment.

It's the gearing, not the brakes. I wonder how it compares to the HP bump the new ND got (without changing class... )

I'm a little surprised given the production volume. If the range of adjustment is there on the wing it could help. Or hurt.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #3491
Shadotracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
It's the gearing, not the brakes. I wonder how it compares to the HP bump the new ND got (without changing class... )

I'm a little surprised given the production volume. If the range of adjustment is there on the wing it could help. Or hurt.
If it based on gearing then it makes it a bit interesting. I assume the performance package for the BRZ has different gearing than the regular twins based on your statement. Since the performance package is in CS last I checked and the other versions are down in DS.

I do want to mess with the adjustment on the wing to see what kind of difference it has between the two settings.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:16 AM   #3492
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadotracker View Post
If it based on gearing then it makes it a bit interesting. I assume the performance package for the BRZ has different gearing than the regular twins based on your statement. Since the performance package is in CS last I checked and the other versions are down in DS.

I do want to mess with the adjustment on the wing to see what kind of difference it has between the two settings.
Final drive is shorter, on the new cars so you cap out at 55-56 mph in second instead of 58-ish in an early car, but since this is the STX thread most tune a higher redline, I think @justinco might be up high enough to match an early car gear for gear, but I could be remembering wrong.

Simmons had had three twins already right? What are the odds he gets a fourth before the decade is out :P

Competition will be missed but the class still seems very strong, I was a bit worried last year but I didn't have my shit together, fingers crossed I can make a decent showing at some national events next year.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #3493
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Go kick some ass. Its going to be full of "oh shit, I'm 30hp down" I bet. Should be a blast.
Not sure if I understand?

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #3494
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
Not sure if I understand?

Simmons
I can only speak to the one local I know with an ND jumping to STR partly because the new ND is still in CS... I suspect there may be a fair few doing the same. Should make for a very competitive class.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #3495
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going to my first autocross event with a local club tomorrow. I am not really focused on being competitive in autocross, but I feel like there may be car control skills I can learn in autocross more easily or cheaply than I can learn them on the track. My focus though is on track driving and attaining the ability to eventually compete in NASA TT and then from there possibly GTA.

My concern is that some of the simple things I've done on my car to make it better on track may not be allowed in STX classing rules. It seems like the rules between NASA and SCCA don't line up, and the things which are simple/free to do may be disallowed. As an example of something I'm concerned about, I have a Shrader Performance rear seat delete kit installed and have removed the rear seats, seat back, brackets, and seatbelts. This only cuts about ~30 pounds off the car, but it appears it may be disallowed in STX. Another example is that I have a front strut bar with a master cylinder brace and a rear strut bar, this appears to be disallowed in STX.

Can anyone advise me based on my build thread where I'd be classed? Feel free to PM me. If there's anything I can quickly change tonight to meet classing requirements I'm open to it, but I don't want to rewind anything major since I'll be at the track again Sunday morning. If I do keep up with autocross... doing an AutoX on Saturday and track on Sunday on the same weekend may be difficult with classing restrictions.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #3496
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I'm going to my first autocross event with a local club tomorrow. I am not really focused on being competitive in autocross, but I feel like there may be car control skills I can learn in autocross more easily or cheaply than I can learn them on the track. My focus though is on track driving and attaining the ability to eventually compete in NASA TT and then from there possibly GTA.

My concern is that some of the simple things I've done on my car to make it better on track may not be allowed in STX classing rules. It seems like the rules between NASA and SCCA don't line up, and the things which are simple/free to do may be disallowed. As an example of something I'm concerned about, I have a Shrader Performance rear seat delete kit installed and have removed the rear seats, seat back, brackets, and seatbelts. This only cuts about ~30 pounds off the car, but it appears it may be disallowed in STX. Another example is that I have a front strut bar with a master cylinder brace and a rear strut bar, this appears to be disallowed in STX.

Can anyone advise me based on my build thread where I'd be classed? Feel free to PM me. If there's anything I can quickly change tonight to meet classing requirements I'm open to it, but I don't want to rewind anything major since I'll be at the track again Sunday morning. If I do keep up with autocross... doing an AutoX on Saturday and track on Sunday on the same weekend may be difficult with classing restrictions.
Seat removal alone throws you way up in classing, SM (street modified) looks like the first class that allows you to remove the back seat. The front brace isn't STX legal either, your parts are only allowed to do one thing (no dual purpose parts) and your front strut bar is probably not one of the allowed ones (the strut bar rules are complicated since the diagonal braces can't be linked together and some mounting options have been deemed to connect the 2pt into a 3pt).

If you don't care about classing, run SM or XP and just have fun. The SCCA rules are very strict, but individual regions can be much more lenient. Another option is to co-drive with someone. An STX legal car is going to be very under-prepped for NASA (there are some builds that will work but they aren't going to be as good as a true NASA build).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #3497
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
Seat removal alone throws you way up in classing, SM (street modified) looks like the first class that allows you to remove the back seat. The front brace isn't STX legal either, your parts are only allowed to do one thing (no dual purpose parts) and your front strut bar is probably not one of the allowed ones (the strut bar rules are complicated since the diagonal braces can't be linked together and some mounting options have been deemed to connect the 2pt into a 3pt).

If you don't care about classing, run SM or XP and just have fun. The SCCA rules are very strict, but individual regions can be much more lenient. Another option is to co-drive with someone. An STX legal car is going to be very under-prepped for NASA (there are some builds that will work but they aren't going to be as good as a true NASA build).

Thanks. I'll just let the cards fall where they may in the morning during tech inspection/classing and just have fun with it. I'll never pass up an opportunity to learn more about driving, and I think autocross can teach me things, but I am not worried about my ranking at the end of the day. I was mostly concerned that I might be out of class from anyone else and they might not let me run. I don't really want to co-drive another car, I'd much prefer to drive my own car so I can minimize the variables and focus on what I'm doing.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #3498
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Thanks. I'll just let the cards fall where they may in the morning during tech inspection/classing and just have fun with it. I'll never pass up an opportunity to learn more about driving, and I think autocross can teach me things, but I am not worried about my ranking at the end of the day. I was mostly concerned that I might be out of class from anyone else and they might not let me run. I don't really want to co-drive another car, I'd much prefer to drive my own car so I can minimize the variables and focus on what I'm doing.
Tech is for safety only, a fellow competitor has to protest you to kick you out of class. The tech guys might help you pick an appropriate class though. It won't matter much, all novices are slow.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #3499
Shadotracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
Tech is for safety only, a fellow competitor has to protest you to kick you out of class. The tech guys might help you pick an appropriate class though. It won't matter much, all novices are slow.
I know they guys running that local event. They won't raise a hissy fit like a kid. Only time it might, but somewhat not likely, matters is if you want to compete in the "pro" group which are those competing for points for the local championship and usually the veterans of the sport are the only ones that do it.

You may or may not see me out there as well...if I run or not, that depends...
Old 10-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #3500
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
My recommendation is to run the car as your preferred racing forum allows and ride with other experienced drivers while perhaps letting one drive your car while you ride shotgun. Huge way to speed up your learning curve. More important than worrying about your seats or weight. Many clubs have a time only or exhibition class which doesn't infringe in anyone's class trophies. Have fun, keep eyes and ears open.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kinghurl For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-13-2018)