follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #29
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rossney View Post
So I've been looking and I don't even see a part number for the filter or a rebuild kit for the fuel pump assembly. The maintenance instructions mention replacing the o-rings.

FT86 Speed Factory has a video on how to pull this all apart for the Velox Fuel Starvation door. If I was going to pull this apart (getting fuel level sensor error). I would replace the fuel filter and install the Fuel starvation door.

Yea, they seemed to make it look very easy, just have to have extra seals and sealant though honestly, I don't like putting original seals back on things when they've been removed after being in the same position for so long. Also check the service manual it should have all the necessary part numbers.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2022)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #30
Halo_2

Drives: 2014 MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't find the pre filter sock in the parts catalogue, looks like you have to buy the pump which comes with the sock ?????

Coming up to 90K Kms.
Halo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #31
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Both fuel filters are in the fuel pump assembly. The sock on the bottom and the other fuel filter is the housing the pump slides into.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #32
Limitz

Drives: Black Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I wouldn't bother to replace the fuel filter, unless it was clogged (car starts to sputter because of fuel starvation).

IF you think you smell gas in the oil ...... and there is, I doubt it is due to a dirty fuel filter.

As far as additives, if adding them makes YOU feel better, go ahead (I doubt your car will notice a difference .....).

The maintenance schedule on my 2013 FR-S came in a separate booklet from the drivers manual and it was called "Warranty & Maintenance Guide".

If you don't have one, I believe it can be viewed on line.

humfrz
Question, so my car was running perfectly fine, I decided to add an additive Techron full system cleaner, I added it and rode smoothly home but a street away car started to sputter and then shut off on me,now my car doesn’t turn on
Would that be a sign of dirty clogged fuel filter ? Or injectors ?my logic thinking is that the filter ended up clogging up from cleaning the tank, I have 105k miles and I’m sure the old owner didn’t switch the filter
Limitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #33
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitz View Post
Question, so my car was running perfectly fine, I decided to add an additive Techron full system cleaner, I added it and rode smoothly home but a street away car started to sputter and then shut off on me,now my car doesn’t turn on
Would that be a sign of dirty clogged fuel filter ? Or injectors ?my logic thinking is that the filter ended up clogging up from cleaning the tank, I have 105k miles and I’m sure the old owner didn’t switch the filter
Well, I'm not saying for sure that the cleaner loosened up stuff that clogged the filter, but, checking and cleaning the filter would be a good start.

Bubba speculates (he just learned a new word - ) that you got a tank of "bad gas". Did you get that last tank of gas at your regular station?

(you didn't use the pump with the green handle - did you?)

Reminds me of the time I was topping off a rental car near the Saint Louis airport. I was about to start pumping when a lady next to me said "you're not going to put diesel in that car, are you"? I had a hold of a gas handle that was "black". Sure enough those slack jawed, station personal in Missouri had used a black handled filler handle for a diesel pump -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #34
Limitz

Drives: Black Scion FR-S
Quote:
Well, I'm not saying for sure that the cleaner loosened up stuff that clogged the filter, but, checking and cleaning the filter would be a good start.

Bubba speculates (he just learned a new word - ) that you got a tank of "bad gas". Did you get that last tank of gas at your regular station?

Reminds me of the time I was topping off a rental car near the Saint Louis airport. I was about to start pumping when a lady next to me said "you're not going to put diesel in that car, are you"? I had a hold of a gas handle that was "black". Sure enough those slack jawed, station personal in Missouri had used a black handled filler handle for a diesel pump -
So it wasn’t my regular gas station but I have gotten gas from there multiple times I usually get the gas from a cheaper non brand gas station lol this one was arco and I’m 100% sure I didn’t pump diesel pretty sure I pumped the correct octane too but ima go back and check the gas station right now just to confirm, what I’m thinking is ima check the fuel lines for pressure, if no pressure then ima assume filter is clogged and not letting fuel into the engine, ima also clean the fuel injectors just for the hell of it.

Last edited by Limitz; 06-14-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Limitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 02:33 AM   #35
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitz View Post
So it wasn’t my regular gas station but I have gotten gas from there multiple times I usually get the gas from a cheaper non brand gas station lol this one was arco and I’m 100% sure I didn’t pump diesel pretty sure I pumped the correct octane too but ima go back and check the gas station right now just to confirm, what I’m thinking is ima check the fuel lines for pressure, if no pressure then ima assume filter is clogged and not letting fuel into the engine, ima also clean the fuel injectors just for the hell of it.
Well, OK.

Just take off the fuel line at the carburetor and stick an old rag over it. Crank the engine and see if gas comes out. If not, remove the fuel pump, push the lever with your hand and see if it goes oooogaaa - oooogaaa. - wait one - where am I?

Sorry.

(it happened - again - )

Common guys, help this fellow out -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Limitz (06-18-2022), soundman98 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #36
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

clearly, you don't go to BP gas stations!

all their pump handles are green to match the station colors. drives me nuts.
humfrz (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:48 AM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
clearly, you don't go to BP gas stations!

all their pump handles are green to match the station colors. drives me nuts.
DANG! I didn't know that - I never go to BP because I thought that all they sold was diesel -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-19-2022)