follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FI FRS vs. Scat Pack Challenger

I know I know; why would I compare something that's 28k after taxes out the door to something ~43k out the door. Well, recently the blower on my JRSC kit went (defective). When my car was down all I could think of is "I need my car back" -- that was my only priority. In the motions I thought it would be a lot faster just to return the car to stock, because I didn't know how long it would take for Rotrex to determine the blower to be defective and send me a replacement.

So I returned it to stock, which was partly a nightmare because I had Toyota do some of the work (took them three weeks!!! One week went by and they hadn't even given me a quote). I also learned a very important lesson: when going FI, KEEP YOUR STOCK PARTS!!! When I had the SC installed by MotoEast I figured the JRSC would be forever, so I let him keep the intake pieces and stock belt (I was dumb).

Long story short: now I'm debating of going into the "danger zone" which is aftermarket FI for the FRS again, or just buying a Scat Pack Challenger, which already has a healthy 485hp at the crank from the factory. Clearly, I need to test drive a Scat before coming to any decision.

That being said I'd like to get your thoughts on choosing which direction to take. I was thinking I'd probably get better engine internals put into the FRS first before strapping a turbo on (I'd rather do such than the other way around, then bend the rods, and then have downtime at an inconvenient time afterwards -- this is my only car -- not for financial reasons, but space reasons).

I love my FRS: but the lack of straight line acceleration and the extremely poor paint quality really suck, IMO.

That being said, I also love the FRS interior believe it or not lol; the challenger's interior looks like a parts bin fest (even the new 2015 updated one). BUT the challenger's exterior is beautiful, it can fit human beings in the rear seats, and you get one of the most powerful NA motors one can buy for non-ridiculous money.

So I was wondering to hear anyone's thoughts or impressions from those who may have perhaps driven a Scat Pack and can compare; which did you find more fun? Any other comments or anecdotes are appreciated. My own personal goal is to break into the 11's quarter mile wise. Nothing really crazy; obviously this would be easier to do with the challenger as its closer to such in stock form.
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Speck

Drives: '13 FR-S
Never driven a Scat Pack, but I've driven my buddy's SRT and that thing is stupid fast and has so much torque. It's really fun and it handles a bit differently, not worse per say, just high CG. The two cars are in totally different categories so can't really be compared IMO. But if you like it even a bit go for it. that's the only other car I looked at besides my FRS and trust me once you get in one you'll get over the interior once all you can do is look forward and hold on for dear life haha

also , I rent the 6 all the time for work and it's comfy driving on long road trips, much smoother than the FRS....
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speck For This Useful Post:
autograph (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Out of all the current muscle cars the challengers are the biggest and heaviest....

I have driven multiple RT and SRT challengers and I was never impressed by them. The brakes work hard and even with all the power of the 392 it never SEEMS like the power it has. They don't handle for shit either with so much weight bias at the front. Out of all the current muscle car options the only thing it has is looks, and even that is highly subjective.

Try out a 6th gen SS as well and see the difference.

If your goal is 11's the 6th gen is knocking on that door bone stock with radials, and the car can actually handle. The scat pack 392 seems to be about mid 12's with radials. To get an FRS in the 11's will require quite a bit of work.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since I've spent the past few days drooling at B5 Blue Scat Pack Chargers on Youtube, my initial thought was "YES! DO IT!"

Then I realized you were interested in the Challenger....I agree with Summerwolf, I've never been impressed with them except their styling. Massively overweight for a "coupe".
Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autograph View Post
and the extremely poor paint quality really suck, IMO.

For upgrading paint quality you're looking at a Dodge/FCA product?

That's fucking hilarious. Here's the first five google results for 'challengertalk' no filtering just bam, five threads from searching 'challenger paint quality'

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...uality-294370/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...trical-370298/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...ty-wtf-334282/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...efects-298210/
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...zz-blue-88529/

Anyway, to the rest of the car, I was also interested in the Challenger when I was shopping for my 86 three years ago, but never drove one. I drove one muscle car during the process, supposedly the most nimble handling focused muscle car offered in late 2012, Mustang V6 w/Track Pack. It felt like a boat and I noped the fuck outta there. I don't really have an interest in modern pony cars anymore, I've driven a Camaro SS and V6 since but that really only reinforced my feelings.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aren't you supposed to get a replacement blower?
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Whenever I hear challenger I think of an overweight buff guy.

Please tell me more how we should compare a 4100 pound car to a 2750 pound car?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Out of all the current muscle cars the challengers are the biggest and heaviest....

I have driven multiple RT and SRT challengers and I was never impressed by them. The brakes work hard and even with all the power of the 392 it never SEEMS like the power it has. They don't handle for shit either with so much weight bias at the front. Out of all the current muscle car options the only thing it has is looks, and even that is highly subjective.

Try out a 6th gen SS as well and see the difference.

If your goal is 11's the 6th gen is knocking on that door bone stock with radials, and the car can actually handle. The scat pack 392 seems to be about mid 12's with radials. To get an FRS in the 11's will require quite a bit of work.
Then you realize you cannot see out any of the Windows.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why not a mustang gt? Or perhaps a Saturn Sky redline?
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
thank you all for your responses & input!
@Summerwolf the SS is quite impressive; a new SS with the auto tranny I believe can pull a 12.1 quartermile. that being said, forgive me if I wasn't clear, but I'm really just deciding between the SP challenger and boosting the FRS, even if there are other cars with which I could be hitting the 11's with. Thanks for your impressions though! I've heard what you said about the challengers not seeming to actually have the power they do have, because of their weight
@Noble713 lol B5 is gorgeous isn't it? lol, drool worthy. but sorry the charger doesn't interest me XD
@strat61caster lmao; thanks for the heads up. the main thing is power, I just listed paint quality as another thing I wasn't happy with. I wasn't implying that a challenger will solve my paint quality problems lol, but I did list its virtues: power, styling, and the ability to move real humans around w/o cutting their legs off. Its interesting you feel that way about the Camaro SS though
@NyC Zn6 -- I did in fact receive the replacement blower, but decided to sell the SC kit when I got it because I thought it would be a good selling point (brand new blower). I got a good return on it, although obviously I still lost money.
@shellslinger my brother has a mustang so I feel like I can't get one XD but besides that, I think two people mentioned styling -- and to be compltely honest one of the main reasons I bought the FRS was its styling, and the same is for the challenger. to me styling is a "necessary" condition for a car; it could be really fast but if its ugly as sin, idk lol. to me the challenger and FRS are two of the best looking cars around, and hence why in good measure I've limited myself to those two options, while at the same time still wanting performance
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
I personally prefer driving a slow car fast over a fast car slow.
The two cars are totally different. Handling vs Power, which is more of a priority for you?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

American car don't have feel unless you go with something like corvette thou. O.O Go for Scat pack if you don't track much? I sat in one before & it's lovely. My other friend has a super bee charger & that thing is mighty comfy too ....

But I don't think you wanna have too much fun in those other then straight line pulls. Their rear lose traction doing nothing just on highway pull with stock tire. XD I saw my friends super bee wiggle around trying to keep up with an e46.

I think you should look for an older m3 with straight 6 or v8 That's where you find the balance between muscle & sport; power & handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I think you should look for an older m3 with straight 6 or v8 That's where you find the balance between muscle & sport; power & handling.
Sounds like handling is no longer a priority for him. It's been said before and will be said again, it's always easier to buy the car designed to perform with >200, 300, 400, 500 horsepower than it is to build it from something that wasn't. Sounds like he wants out of the 86.

I agree though, sounds like the E92/E90 M3 is within budget and a pretty decent alternative, but I have a hunch though that OP wouldn't like the styling, and from what I've seen they fall on the luxury side of the handling spectrum rather than the sporty side lugging around as much weight as any pony car, not to mention HPFP issues and typical German upkeep costs.

But dat Euro V8...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xNZUQXU3k"]BMW M3 E92 (E90) - Brutal acceleration V8 sound and top speed HD - YouTube[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-04-2016)
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

^ I got 2 friend with e46, I have to say I love them.... Very pure & still have everything you want. You feel the car is expensive when it was new as soon as you get in. Only problem with them is that it's gonna cost you a lot to get more power out. But those will run around a scat pack in circles on track even stock & 100 hp+ down...

As for e90/92 ... That's not even competition.... Just straight slaughter house....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote