follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #169
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
KW V3/CS and Onlins R&T/DFW are not high end offerings. They're entry level dampers. (Note, the KW V3 is one of the LEAST expensive 2 way adjustable dampers on the market; that should be a pretty big indicator. Additionally, the Ohlins R&F/DFW is their LEAST expensive damper. Again, a pretty big indicator).
I agree that KW V3 or CS aren't high end, but I wouldn't call them entry level either. Ohlins R&T are IMO a high end shock that's just valved/sprung/designed for the street with some "light to medium" track capabilities. Internally they are badass shocks that have all the accoutrements and durability needed for a street car. They're just a little soft because that's what Ohlins where aiming for that offering. It's only one way adjustable, but some prefer the simplicity and Ohlins can valve a shock well. If you're looking for something hardcore they're probably not the best starting point because the price will add up after a revalve and new springs, but you could, and they would be awesome.

Quote:
I've seen some wicked street JRZ setups using lower rates. We'll probably eventually delve into that after we finish development of our trackable street setup (we're currently focusing on street comfort; the performance part is satisfactory to us for now).
The JRZ RS1s we helped develop for this car very early on were pretty fantastic on the street.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ultra (09-02-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #170
kurbkilla

Drives: Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you feel about fortune auto V4 500? ft86speedfactory was doing some testing with them with 8k/7k. But I have not heard anything else about them.

The reason I ask is, the 500 was the only one I found that had height/dampener/and camber......and cheap.
kurbkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #171
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbkilla View Post
How do you feel about fortune auto V4 500? ft86speedfactory was doing some testing with them with 8k/7k. But I have not heard anything else about them.

The reason I ask is, the 500 was the only one I found that had height/dampener/and camber......and cheap.
you are bringing a knife to a gunfight here...
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-29-2013), Dimman (08-29-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #172
mtimney

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CSG and/or RCE---

Do you see the need for a different 'race' suspension for autocross v. track?
mtimney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #173
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtimney View Post
CSG and/or RCE---

Good question. No doubt the ideal setup for each application would differ somewhat but I'm also curious to know if there's any general rules-of-thumb in terms of suspension setup that might be unique to AutoX versus circuit driving.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #174
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
CSG and/or RCE---

No need for a different setup. For the average weekend warrior there isn't really a difference.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #175
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
So after reading through this a few times, am I to believe that, according to @CSG Mike , higher rate springs & damper combos are perfectly viable, if not ideal, for street amd track?

high spring rates are viable... for high spring rate applications

the matter of compatability between track and street will also depend on the conditions of your tracks and the conditions of your streets

some places have smooth tracks and smooth streets... or bad tracks and bad streets, in which case a specific spring+damper combo may "seem" like the "best fit"

but when you're dealing with shitty streets and smooth tracks, you will always compromise.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #176
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
There is always compromising going on with suspension setup. If you want high rates, you'll have to deal with the rougher ride on the bumpy stuff. If you want a smooth/compliant ride, you'll have to deal with the body roll. You want to spend as little money as possible on dampers? You will probably not have a well matched suspension. You want near perfect damping for your chosen spring rates AND adjustability? Be prepared to spend an arm and a leg. If you want to just get springs and non adjustable dampers that match perfectly, be prepared to spend time testing, learning what you need to change in the damping and getting dampers revalved more than a few times before you get there (according to Koni's webpage expect 3-4 weeks turnaround).

Even if you have money to burn on suspension and have the latest technology you will still be making compromises in setting up your computer controlled, gold plated, diamond encrusted, active suspension developed by alien engineers. It's all about knowing where you are willing to compromise.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
TTGT (05-01-2014)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #177
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
high spring rates are viable... for high spring rate applications

the matter of compatability between track and street will also depend on the conditions of your tracks and the conditions of your streets

some places have smooth tracks and smooth streets... or bad tracks and bad streets, in which case a specific spring+damper combo may "seem" like the "best fit"

but when you're dealing with shitty streets and smooth tracks, you will always compromise.
An excellent point, which is why I'm kind of unconvinced so far by all the talk of high spring rates going on in here.

Yes, I imagine that a very well matched spring and damper combo could potentially work very well for a mixed use application but if that were the case then I'm curious why most manufacturers' offerings, even in the higher end range where JRZs etc. live are all marketing their stuff with relatively soft springs (below 9k).

Before anybody says it yes - I'm aware of Penskes, Motons, Nitrons, Proflex etc. All National Championship level competition race shocks and pretty irrelevant to anything remotely 'street', IMHO.

Just trying to make some sense of all this info.

I know what rates @Mike CSG runs and I don't doubt their expertise but does anybody know what rates @robispec is using on his (rather competent on the track) car, for example?
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #178
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Setup will be a matter of preference, but can use the same suspension.

At autox I prefer the following corner phases:
Entry - loose (fast turn-in)
Mid - slightly tight w/ some rotation
Exit - neutral

For track I prefer:
Entry - tight
Mid - neutral
Exit - neutral

I basically want a slower turn in for the track relative to autox setup.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #179
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, I imagine that a very well matched spring and damper combo could potentially work very well for a mixed use application but if that were the case then I'm curious why most manufacturers' offerings, even in the higher end range where JRZs etc. live are all marketing their stuff with relatively soft springs (below 9k).
as was explained multiple times, if you ever go and buy the high end stuff you are buying custom

springs are cheap for these guys, they will put on whatever you want and then adjust the dampers for the springs... that's the easy part.

what you're actually paying is the internals and the specific dampening design of this or that manufacturer.
whataboutbob (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #180
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
CSG and/or RCE---

Yes, if you're doing it for anything more than "just for fun", the setups are mutually exclusive (although I suspect the AutoX guys will say otherwise).

AutoX places a premium on ultra fast load changes and rapid small direction changes, whereas tracking places a premium on static load grip. This is why you see higher spring rates in the fronts for AutoX, as well as the huge front sway bars.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ultra (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #181
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
This is why you see higher spring rates in the fronts for AutoX, as well as the huge front sway bars.
You see big sway bars because of classing rules. For example, B-Stock where you cannot change the spring rate. Therefore make up for it with a big front bar.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iLuveKetchup For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-03-2013), ultra (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #182
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
An excellent point, which is why I'm kind of unconvinced so far by all the talk of high spring rates going on in here.

Before anybody says it yes - I'm aware of Penskes, Motons, Nitrons, Proflex etc. All National Championship level competition race shocks and pretty irrelevant to anything remotely 'street', IMHO.

Just trying to make some sense of all this info.

I know what rates @Mike CSG runs and I don't doubt their expertise but does anybody know what rates @robispec is using on his (rather competent on the track) car, for example?
The last time I had seat time in Robispec's car, it was on 9k/10k springs, and that was a while ago.

IIRC, the car started with 7k front 6k rear (swapped KW V3 spring rates), although it may have started 6k front 7k rear. Robispec's car has slowly continued to increase in spring rate, and additionally I believe he's been running a mix of different aftermarket swaybars, and occasionally disconnecting them as experiments as well.

I just gave a guy with Stance coilovers a ride this morning. He couldn't believe the SRCs were nearly double his spring rates, yet rode smoother.

Again, with high spring rates, you're still going to feel the road, but with a high quality damper, it'll be refined, and not rattle your teeth out. Instead, it'll transmit just enough so that you know road isn't smooth.

Come visit us in SoCal, and both @robispec and I will be more than happy to give you rides in our cars.

Do you consider our Tein SRCs a "National Championship level competition race shocks and pretty irrelevant to anything remotely 'street'"?
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ultra (09-03-2013)