follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #1667
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86drifter View Post
so to clarify 04568 is a reprogrammed 04522....

either case whatever it maybe i hope when i order this car it will have the updated ECU

yep this is what I was told
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #1668
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
My BRZ didn't show signs of idling issues until after 3k miles or so. There were times the idle issue were more apparent but I wasn't worried until it pulled a CEL and SL. The only thing I don't like right now is that I feel like there is a power decrease overall.

Need to get the reflash..the dealership told me the CEL was due to the HPFP..found out that's another issue and that the CEL requires the reflash.
That's bs. My crickets came after my cel. They are not related at all. I had cam/valve replace cel came back (power loss is limp mode). Now at full power no cel after reflash. Still have crickets, new pump on back order
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-16-2012), ap5512 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #1669
wotter

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
I also got VVTI gear replaced because of CEL. It fixed mine atleast but i still have strange idle dips now and then, especially when engine is cold. No new ECU or reflash here. Though Toyota Europe told Toyota Sweden (where i live) that there is an ECU update coming soon.

The strange idle i have still pisses me off, but without a CEL there aint much the Toyota dealer can do atm

Well you are lucky since Toyota Europe has it's main headquarter and storage facility in Belgium, you are close I had to wait 17 days for my VVTI gear....
Yeah, I'm glad to live in Belgium for quick access to those parts.
Anyway, if the ECU is the fix for this issue, then we in Europe can only wait... But I would hate to have idle issues all the time, that's not a fix imo!
I feal sorry for my dealer, he probably knows I'm right, and he can't do anything about it
wotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #1670
ftc~brz
Done

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotter View Post
Update : called the dealer back, problem was with the VVTI system. If I understood him (I'm no expert), they're going to replace the cam gear. I told him about the ECU, but unfortunately, as long as Toyota Belgium/Europa don't advise it, they're not going to do it. So IF the new ECU is the correct fix for the CEL/SL issue, there's a strong possibility my car will be back at the dealer in xxx KM. I didn't ask for the specific code (P0019/18/17...), will do that on Friday.

The new parts have been ordered today, arrival on Thursday, so if all goes well, I should have my car back on Friday. So I've only lost three days, not bad imo.
Rental car is still the Corolla AT (loool).
The cel will come back after the cam/valve replace. Reflash was the fix for mine so far. My car spent 17 days in shop for repair only to throw cel 15 miles out of the shop. Open a case with Subaru/Toyota immediately to ensure proper procedure and they may advise your dealer to not repalace hard parts as they publicly aknowledged this is not a "mechanical" issue
Ps yay Belgium, my maiden name is Savoir
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #1671
res

Drives: Acura, Subaru BRZ - GBS MT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotter View Post
Update : called the dealer back, problem was with the VVTI system. If I understood him (I'm no expert), they're going to replace the cam gear. I told him about the ECU, but unfortunately, as long as Toyota Belgium/Europa don't advise it, they're not going to do it. So IF the new ECU is the correct fix for the CEL/SL issue, there's a strong possibility my car will be back at the dealer in xxx KM. I didn't ask for the specific code (P0019/18/17...), will do that on Friday.

The new parts have been ordered today, arrival on Thursday, so if all goes well, I should have my car back on Friday. So I've only lost three days, not bad imo.
Rental car is still the Corolla AT (loool).
I would insist that the dealer not make any repairs until the dealer (with you present) speaks with Toyota directly about this being a possible ECU issue. There have been several cars that lost their engine completely (boom!) after the cam gear replacement was done (apparently incorrectly).
res is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to res For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #1672
wotter

Drives: Toyota GT86
I'm going to call Toyota directly about this tomorrow, if the fix exists in America, then why the hell aren't they fixing this issue globally? Why are some dealers informed and others aren't?
Btw; also got a call (but wasn't home) for a satisfaction survey about my new car (loool).
wotter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wotter For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #1673
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
That's bs. My crickets came after my cel. They are not related at all. I had cam/valve replace cel came back (power loss is limp mode). Now at full power no cel after reflash. Still have crickets, new pump on back order
Right, I'm going to go back as soon as I can to see if they have the reflash available. Do you think they have the CEL code still because I made the mistake of walking out without asking...
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #1674
ftc~brz
Done

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
Right, I'm going to go back as soon as I can to see if they have the reflash available. Do you think they have the CEL code still because I made the mistake of walking out without asking...

Ask for the codes . I threw a p0300 misfire and p0019 then after parts replace threw p0300 misfire and p0017...
Field tech had to come out to me dealer to do the reflash b/c the dealer didn't have the equipment to do it. If you open a case file with your manufacture they can give you more answers and advise the dealer better. Also they can make the fix happen faster just try to be nice and not pushy and you should see better help results on both ends.
I was one of the people that were told "this is a first" now there are many of us hey have learned from
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #1675
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
Ask for the codes . I threw a p0300 misfire and p0019 then after parts replace threw p0300 misfire and p0017...
Field tech had to come out to me dealer to do the reflash b/c the dealer didn't have the equipment to do it. If you open a case file with your manufacture they can give you more answers and advise the dealer better. Also they can make the fix happen faster just try to be nice and not pushy and you should see better help results on both ends.
I was one of the people that were told "this is a first" now there are many of us hey have learned from
Awesome, thanks for your reply!
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ap5512 For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1676
TurnOne

Drives: BRZ Ltd. WR Blue 6MT
Update: Add me to the list of major engine failure after repair. Car was running good since Friday pickup. Today, check engine light, metallic clanging sound from engine tied to engine RPM. Not linear but generally louder at higher RPM. I was on the interstate. Slowed down. Sounded like engine was about to come apart. Coasted off highway and checked oil level. Plenty of oil. Oil light on at idle. Goes away after 900 RPM. Shut down for good. Called scion roadside assistance.
I wouldn't let any untrained mechanic replace cam gears!
TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TurnOne For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-16-2012), Alienate (10-16-2012), eurospeed (10-16-2012), ftc~brz (10-17-2012), Marrk (10-16-2012), rapidcars (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #1677
Kieranz

Drives: Tribeca, GBS BRZ-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranz View Post
Just had CEL pop up at 1950 miles. Came up at stop light -surprisingly engine was smooth on idle. Had one or two noticeable rough idle/ near stalls in the past but the light never came on.

Did a quite a few WOT pulls during break in (when engine was warmed up, never over 4k) so I definitely didn't baby her.

What the latest with the brz? Are they just reflashing the ECU or are they changing parts as well -as Toyota has been doing?

Vin 28xx supposedly late jul build.
Update: just drove my car to the dealership vs flatbedding it. Was worried about getting the front scuff up loading it on to the truck.

Anyway dealership found the car throwing a P00017 code. They called Subaru Tech line and was told that a field tech will need to come out and reflash the car.

It was a quick response with no ambiguity. My guess is that SOA is getting quite a few of these now. Hopefully the reflash will do it and I won't need to revisit for a ECU replacement like our Scion brothers.
Kieranz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kieranz For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-16-2012), ftc~brz (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #1678
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
Update: Add me to the list of major engine failure after repair. Car was running good since Friday pickup. Today, check engine light, metallic clanging sound from engine tied to engine RPM. Not linear but generally louder at higher RPM. I was on the interstate. Slowed down. Sounded like engine was
About to come apart. Coasted off highway an checked oil
level. Plenty of oil. Oil light on at idle. Goes away after 900 RPM. Shut down for good. Called scion roadside assistance.
I wouldn't let any untrained mechanic replace cam gears!
Another one!

Quote:
Anyway dealership found the car throwing a P00017 code. They called Subaru Tech line and was told that a field tech will need to come out and reflash the car.
And i had P0017 aswell, they changed the cam gear and my problem was gone. No ECU flash.
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-17-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1679
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Update on mine: My dealership (Desert Scion, Vegas) called yesterday and told me they will be ordering a new ECU to rectify the CEL/Slip light issue I'm having. I haven't really read this from anyone else but, I'm curious. My car runs like shit now; acceleration is very slow, and it seems extremely jerky/super sensitive to drive now, compared to before the issue started. Has anyone else been having this problem? My mileage has also dramatically decreased, from about 27 city/32 highway to 22 city/25 highway.
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #1680
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropthebeat21 View Post
Update on mine: My dealership (Desert Scion, Vegas) called yesterday and told me they will be ordering a new ECU to rectify the CEL/Slip light issue I'm having. I haven't really read this from anyone else but, I'm curious. My car runs like shit now; acceleration is very slow, and it seems extremely jerky/super sensitive to drive now, compared to before the issue started. Has anyone else been having this problem? My mileage has also dramatically decreased, from about 27 city/32 highway to 22 city/25 highway.
Your car is most likely in limp mode now.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote