follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #29
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Holy eff, I just realized he has more videos pertaining to other cars. Does he get paid to review vehicles?!?!

Nissan Maxima intro. "300 HP and it is cold out....what could go wrong?!?"

Probably nothing.... you're in a new maxima.... even with 300 HP its a CVT equipped Nissan Maxima....
BTW this video is more for you:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw2EZHv6ONQ"]Review | i-PlungeSG | Motorsports Inspired Design - YouTube[/ame]
Old 03-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #30
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Nothing major haha... just installed the kit then other work stuff took over.

I should ask my friend for a finder's fee...

You'd be rolling large from the fees!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #31
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
It's sharing a real world experience. It's snarky and sarcastic.
Spending hundreds of hours on a car will do that to you.
Well, i'm one of those who appreciated your videos, and wasn't looking for a 'this is the greatest thing ever' review. When making a purchase, I especially want to hear all the 'bad'/negatives about a product i'm considering; even if it's a sample size of one. i appreciate an honest opinion with no sugar coating.

i took the information that you presented and took it into account when making my own decision to go FI, which was almost 3 years after i first got the car (it wasn't a impulsive decision - it took that long to take the plunge).

thanks for your time and effort it took to produce those videos and share the information. i definitely learned a lot about the good and bad points of the platform from them.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #32
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I for one am bummed you sold the car since I enjoyed your videos pertaining to it and I was able to confirm that the car indeed was the right car for me before I bought it after watching your reviews.
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #33
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Well, i'm one of those who appreciated your videos, and wasn't looking for a 'this is the greatest thing ever' review. When making a purchase, I especially want to hear all the 'bad'/negatives about a product i'm considering; even if it's a sample size of one. i appreciate an honest opinion with no sugar coating.

i took the information that you presented and took it into account when making my own decision to go FI, which was almost 3 years after i first got the car (it wasn't a impulsive decision - it took that long to take the plunge).

thanks for your time and effort it took to produce those videos and share the information. i definitely learned a lot about the good and bad points of the platform from them.
The good thing about taking your time and waiting is to see how the platform develops. Tuning is so big now and so critical it has become much safer and easier. Still plenty of gottchas but glad it turned out well for your car, do you have a build log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRogue View Post
I for one am bummed you sold the car since I enjoyed your videos pertaining to it and I was able to confirm that the car indeed was the right car for me before I bought it after watching your reviews.
Glad you found the right car how has it been since you bought it?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #34
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Still plenty of gottchas but glad it turned out well for your car, do you have a build log?
nothing public except my top-level build thread in my sig. but I do have all documents and a spreadsheet to keep track of all changes and mileage etc.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #35
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The good thing about taking your time and waiting is to see how the platform develops. Tuning is so big now and so critical it has become much safer and easier. Still plenty of gottchas but glad it turned out well for your car, do you have a build log?

Glad you found the right car how has it been since you bought it?

So far excellent. Autocrossing in stock form is where it's at. An NA build close to 200 whp with good wheels & tires & coilovers is the end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JakeRogue For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (03-21-2016), Tcoat (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #36
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Can I buy your jokes? My lawyers will be in contact.
This one's on me, free of charge
Dezoris (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #37
BRZSS

Drives: Hyper Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to be a bit negative here to the guy in the video.
I watched everything going back to the initial install of his S/C. It seems from the get go he had negative associations with the car. Every time something went wrong with his build it came off as it was a fault of Toyota/Subaru.

The fact is this. He rushed out and bought a first year car.
Turned around and bought the first s/c kit rushed to market. And then got to deal with all the growing pains of being the first in a new platform. His attitude afterwards is "I didn't have it easy, I was the first and we were pioneering the platform and "kids" these days have it easy."

And that's to the point isn't?
He comes off mad that he had the pains others don't because he was there first and acts as if he should get some kind of special treatment for having "done" it first.

He makes a snide comment to TJ Hunt for having a successful youtube channel and getting a S/C kit, and then comments that TJ is young so it's just "daddies" money and he didn't "earn" it. Then he seems to take some kind of personal pleasure that TJ's car had cam sensor issues and uses that as "justification" that he is right about the cars being failures waiting to happen. The way he talks comes off as the car is doomed to explode potentially minutes after you take it on to the track for the first time.

He replies to comments on his video, in regards that this platform is just "modern rice" and that only young kids with parents money buy the car. Because no one in their early 20's has the cash to buy the car and pay insurance by themselves. But when he's told not once, twice, or even three times by other commentators that they themselves are early 20's and own this car and pay'd for it themselves. He scuffs it off as they're "exceptions" to the rule.

Savageese comes off as a bitter man who spent money on an unknown at the time platform. And that he is upset he fell in all the potholes that others now know to avoid. This is why you let tuning groups, racing groups, shops, aftermarket outfitters, the big boys who will be "marketing" products. Take time to "Pioneer" the field and learn the shortcomings first. Pioneering something does not entitle you to anything. The only time pioneering something is an advantage to you, is if your going to be selling a product and it will be a revenue stream. Or you are truly doing it for fun. And if it burns you out as it did in this case to him, well you took the risk to begin with under the purpose that this would be fun. It didn't end up being fun, and now you know. Learn your lesson and move on. Don't down talk others who do enjoy the car and had more common sense to wait and allow the platform to prove itself before jumping on.

He should of waited 3 years for the aftermarket to grow and mature and the shortcomings to have been found. Then he could make a well informed decision if this platform was right for him or something he would be willing to endeavor in.

TL : DR Version: Guy in video is acting like an old man bitching that he wasted money. Should of waited for FRS/BRZ/GT86 platform to prove itself and have it's limitations learned and worked out before getting into the game.
BRZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZSS For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #38
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

It's called sarcasm. 4DSC with a CVT, marketing crap.
We don't get paid to do anything, we test cars and submit bug reports on infotainment, programming and other issues.

Quote:

It's sharing a real world experience. It's snarky and sarcastic.
Spending hundreds of hours on a car will do that to you.

So everything you say is sarcastic. Got it.

I did appreciate the review on the early vortech kit. Like I said it helped swap my decision with your belt routing comments and overall installation issues, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #39
unplugged
Master Member

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The more you push the limits of your car from factory, the more money you will spend on parts to get there and stay there.

To me the BRZ is not about going fast in a straight line, but the fun around the curves.

For example, I've owned a C5 corvette. It went fast and handled superbly well with my upgraded suspension, but I had to go FAST to enjoy these things due to its weight. It wasn't fun at slow speeds.

With the BRZ, it's very light and has enough oomph. I can have just as much fun and not break any laws doing so. And for less than half the price of a corvette, how can you go wrong?
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #40
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
The more you push the limits of your car from factory, the more money you will spend on parts to get there and stay there.

To me the BRZ is not about going fast in a straight line, but the fun around the curves.

For example, I've owned a C5 corvette. It went fast and handled superbly well with my upgraded suspension, but I had to go FAST to enjoy these things due to its weight. It wasn't fun at slow speeds.

With the BRZ, it's very light and has enough oomph. I can have just as much fun and not break any laws doing so. And for less than half the price of a corvette, how can you go wrong?

How much less weight do you think the BRZ is than a corvette?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #41
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
I'm going to be a bit negative here to the guy in the video.
I watched everything going back to the initial install of his S/C. It seems from the get go he had negative associations with the car. Every time something went wrong with his build it came off as it was a fault of Toyota/Subaru.

TL : DR Version: Guy in video is acting like an old man bitching that he wasted money. Should of waited for FRS/BRZ/GT86 platform to prove itself and have it's limitations learned and worked out before getting into the game.

I have read everything you said, including the negative comments from those offended. In fact I take these comments seriously when they are well formed.

1. Realities: I get an opportunity to work with manufacturers PR, tech reps, engineers and have worked in the tech field for over 15 years. There is one thing that is consistent I have learned. Companies small and large, from the vendors on forums, to the big boys like Samsung, Apple, GM, Toyota have one concern: Money, Selling Products, and Selling More Products. You do not sell and create a brand without marketing and putting fluff and honey on everything.

Most importantly:

Modern press, mainstream media, and now social media is being bought and sold to SELL and PUSH products out. I meet these people now all the time. I could go on a sickening rant about it. I just met a woman who had a load of products delivered to her from Michael Koors bags, yogurt and cars, just to post how good they were on Instagram and social media because she has over 100k followers. Free sh*t, just to promote products.

The point is I used to own about 10 major car forums that I sold off, and over the past 15 years I have seen vendors and products come and go that fu*ked over people or were just straight up crap. Including this forum, where vendors make big claims to sell with no actual data to young kids who think they know better and even the older crowd.

You want to know why you don't find negative car reviews anywhere?
Because media outlets would be out of business, when ad revenue is pulled, press cars refused and media access denied.
It's nothing new but rarely talked about, they give you free trips, free stuff, exclusive access and you give them press and you say THANK YOU. But NEVER give negative press. NEVER

2. The younger guys who work for stuff. I am sorry if I offended you, and if you are working your ass off for it I am sure many your age would like to know your secrets.

How you get enough money in high school and college to pay your own rent, your own car, your own tuition and have money in the bank? Are you so special that you did not get help from family? It's absolutely rare these days that anyone 16-21 can live on their own, have baller cars, mods, things and have college paid for without help, by either being subsidized by loans, credit cards or family. Not sure where all the butt hurt is coming from.

3. TJ Hunt. Don't know him, seems smart. Doesn't matter, the video I made was because I saw a video where he had issues with shop install, Bill do his onsite tuning and still had AVCS issues. I made a video about the experience I had with my car and it reminded me of why it sucks modifying your own car, doing it all yourself and spending a ton of coin. It's as simple as that.

After the video I realized he was GIVEN the supercharger kit, and free services/subsidized services in exchange for social media exposure. FREE press for vendors. Did he ever explain his issues? Did he talk about the install or any problems? Nope. Wonder why that is? Interesting system we have.

4. Lessons. When we started, there were NOT many shops versed in setting up the 86 or dedicated to it, no one had been working on the car yet. We did our best to learn and share what we knew without trying to sell products and services. That is an expensive model. We wanted to show that despite what so many companies try to sell you on, not everything was glamorous. If you want the sales pitch, call up 30+ vendors on here and ask opinions, call the OEMs and manufactures and ask them straight questions about actual PROBLEMS they have, see what answers you get.

I can tell you I have been there and done that including asking car manufacturers straight questions. 1/100 you will get a real answer like: "Budget issues - Had to Cut Costs - Packaging Mass Production Problems - Low Sales"

5. People Hate Bad News - Most turn a blind eye to the bad and only want to hear the good. I get it, much easier. But I can say whether I am bitter, jaded or whatever you say, when you have been fuc*d over, seen people burned, hurt just to justify sales, it has changed my perspective on the value of "shiny objects."

I hope many of you never get to that place, but chances are you will get burned along the way and it will sober you enough to keep the wallet closed.
axelo (03-22-2016), BigFatFlip (03-22-2016), DJCarbine (03-22-2016), drewbot (03-24-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (03-24-2016), roddy (03-22-2016), shiumai (03-22-2016), strat61caster (03-24-2016), Ultramaroon (03-22-2016), Vic4uf (12-22-2016), yamrossi (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #42
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
5. People Hate Bad News - Most turn a blind eye to the bad and only want to hear the good. I get it, much easier. But I can say whether I am bitter, jaded or whatever you say, when you have been fuc*d over, seen people burned, hurt just to justify sales, it has changed my perspective on the value of "shiny objects."

I hope many of you never get to that place, but chances are you will get burned along the way and it will sober you enough to keep the wallet closed.
Then there are those tortured souls who like being early adopters and almost enjoy the pains that come with the path they have taken. Modifying things to fit properly, learning about less than perfect design choices in rushed aftermarket products(and doing our best to correct them)....

I'm one of those idiots

BTW glad I could lend you the DI injector tool for your vid, and lots of things in the vortech video brought back memories.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, review, supercharged