follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #29
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For the people who think stickier tires should be on the back:
1. You have bigger brakes up front, so it makes sense to put the tires that can stop quicker in the front. Also oversteer is easier to control imo if you know what to do
2. Nobody should be worrying about wheels locking up on the street because we have ABS.

Op I would say sticky up front and not as sticky in back.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #30
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You want stickier tires in the rear because when you go around a corner your rear grip relies on those tires, whether you are on or off the throttle. If those slip, well goodnight.

If your front tires can't brake within a reasonable measure, then you shouldn't be using them.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:43 AM   #31
Estey

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
You want stickier tires in the rear because when you go around a corner your rear grip relies on those tires, whether you are on or off the throttle. If those slip, well goodnight.

If your front tires can't brake within a reasonable measure, then you shouldn't be using them.
but in this case we aren't talking about trashed tires, just two pairs with different levels of grip. At least that's what I'm assuming from the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Estey For This Useful Post:
SlammedSilly (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #32
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
For the people who think stickier tires should be on the back:
1. You have bigger brakes up front, so it makes sense to put the tires that can stop quicker in the front. Also oversteer is easier to control imo if you know what to do
2. Nobody should be worrying about wheels locking up on the street because we have ABS.

Op I would say sticky up front and not as sticky in back.

So you are basically saying "Ignore what the TIRE EXPERTS say and listen to me"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

"The ability to sense and control predictable understeer with the new tires on the rear and the helplessness in trying to control the surprising oversteer with the new tires on the front was emphatically proven."

"When replacing only two tires, the new ones go on the front.
The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!""

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...nked-10031440/

"Stop with the “even ifs.” No matter if your vehicle is front-, rear-, or all-wheel-drive, a pickup, a sporty car, or an SUV: If you buy only two new tires, you should put them on the back, according to tire manufacturer Michelin North America."

https://blog.allstate.com/new-tires-rear/

"The worn rear tires have less tread and lower hydroplaning resistance. They can lose their grip on wet roads, causing the rear end of the vehicle to swing around out of control."
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.do

As I stated above: Wilwood and Tilton make some pretty good cash from Brake Bias valves that are specifically designed to reduce rear braking force to improve handling. WHY would they do such a thing? Because a car that locks the rear brakes before the fronts is a hazard. Perhaps they are smoking crack too?

Although you ARE correct that our car has an electronic brake bias system that mostly negates the effects of a minor discrepancy between front & rear traction, but it still cannot negate physics.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justatroll For This Useful Post:
radroach (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #33
Estey

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
So you are basically saying "Ignore what the TIRE EXPERTS say and listen to me"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

"The ability to sense and control predictable understeer with the new tires on the rear and the helplessness in trying to control the surprising oversteer with the new tires on the front was emphatically proven."

"When replacing only two tires, the new ones go on the front.
The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!""

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...nked-10031440/

"Stop with the “even ifs.” No matter if your vehicle is front-, rear-, or all-wheel-drive, a pickup, a sporty car, or an SUV: If you buy only two new tires, you should put them on the back, according to tire manufacturer Michelin North America."

https://blog.allstate.com/new-tires-rear/

"The worn rear tires have less tread and lower hydroplaning resistance. They can lose their grip on wet roads, causing the rear end of the vehicle to swing around out of control."
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.do

As I stated above: Wilwood and Tilton make some pretty good cash from Brake Bias valves that are specifically designed to reduce rear braking force to improve handling. WHY would they do such a thing? Because a car that locks the rear brakes before the fronts is a hazard. Perhaps they are smoking crack too?

Although you ARE correct that our car has an electronic brake bias system that mostly negates the effects of a minor discrepancy between front & rear traction, but it still cannot negate physics.
I'm not ignoring what anyone is saying, I'm simply answering the original question. From what I understand both pairs of tires will be new or have very few miles on them. All of the research you provided is referring to an instance where a person only replaces two tires with new ones.
If I had to buy two new tires, I would throw the used up front and the new in the rear. I'm not arguing that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estey For This Useful Post:
justatroll (03-25-2016), nickmerronesucks (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #34
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
OK. I am going to fix the title.

It is best to have sticky tires up front And in the rear.

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #35
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sticky is good.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #36
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My rear is all sticky after this thread.
Impureclient (03-26-2016), radroach (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #37
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
My rear is all sticky after this thread.
My rear end has been sticky since I got my car. This thread is gross.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 AM   #38
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I get it - you're a drifter and you're trying to figure out the best way to use what you have. That said, what you're doing isn't ideal in any way. Unless you're a stance guy and more into looks than performance, there's no question that our cars perform better on a square set up on light wheels with medium tread widths. Doing what you want to do will adversely affect the way the car handles - there's no two ways around it. You can put the sticky compounds up front and promote oversteer or put them on the back and promote understeer, but the balance will be changed...enough said.

This is pretty basic stuff, you knew this before you posted, and you don't seem like you really want to hear people's opinions on one way versus the other - so why did you ask?
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #39
Rendereason

Drives: BRZ 2014, Galaxy Blue 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Better tires in the rear. If you are pushing the car to its limits you will have better control. You will also have better acceleration (RWD) and stability. Most of your traction must be on the rear, as it will give the car better handling, but more understeer. I have stickier tires in the rear and stock tires in the front and it doesn't make much difference in steering. The car will handle much more stably because of the stickiness in the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rendereason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #40
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I get it - you're a drifter and you're trying to figure out the best way to use what you have. That said, what you're doing isn't ideal in any way. Unless you're a stance guy and more into looks than performance, there's no question that our cars perform better on a square set up on light wheels with medium tread widths. Doing what you want to do will adversely affect the way the car handles - there's no two ways around it. You can put the sticky compounds up front and promote oversteer or put them on the back and promote understeer, but the balance will be changed...enough said.

This is pretty basic stuff, you knew this before you posted, and you don't seem like you really want to hear people's opinions on one way versus the other - so why did you ask?
I have no interested in drifting this car. I should have been a bit more clear when asking my question. I didn't want to hear peoples opinions because most of them thought i was asking about tread.