follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
LANI86

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RECON permit in HAWAII

I'm still living in the heart of Los Angeles, but plan on moving to Oahu in the near future.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, but how do you crazy modded FR-S or Nissan owners get away from this strict regulation and still daily drive your car? I heard you're not even suppose to have clear side markers if they're not factory? They need to be colored amber with the corresponding DOT number.

I surf the net and people do have bigger wheels, crazy suspension work and what not and still have their Hawaii license plate.

I currently have 18x8.5(F) & 18x9(R) set up running springs & shock. I only lowered the car 1.4" and my shocks are rebound adjustable so I think this is probably going to be ok. I'm not rubbing at all. The only probably I think I may face is the alignment which I'm hoping when I get camber kits or adjustable arms this will bring the car back to stock specs. Exhaust, racing seats are I think out of the RECON category.

Any tips are greatly appreciated
I'd hate to bring the car back to stock again....
LANI86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
LOL, I just answered this on the other thread...

My side markers are clear and I have had no issue with the inspections. I think the RECON inspection only happens if you have modded suspension, which mine does not. Even then, they supposedly only check to see that it's properly and safely installed. Check the tint laws too, they check that during inspections. Aloha!
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
REAV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
LANI86

Thank you REAV3R. I'm sorry if I had missed your posting as I'm very new to the forum...I apologize.

I guess I will have to deal with RECON regardless since my car is lowered, but it's not sitting on coilovers nor does it sit at a crazy stance. I wonder how the others manage to pass the test. I do see some lowered FRS in Hawaii with bigger wheels.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

There shouldn't be much, if any, issues with your car being on coilovers. There are many owners around here with pretty aggressive setups, and not just BRZs and FR-S... To my knowledge, it's more of a "let's just make sure this thing is roadworthy" than looking for any specific gigs. I would think they are just making sure you're not trying to run around on hockey pucks or cut springs! LOL They are a bit particular about offset though. They almost didn't pass my truck because the tires are "just" past flush. The tech told me any further and I'd have to have fender flares. IMO, it's more of a revenue for the state than anything else...

I think you're right about the other mods. My catless UEL and muffler delete didn't even raise an eyebrow. Good luck!
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." ~ J.Clarkson
Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #5
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Tint laws here in Hawaii are 30%....safety check inspections depending where you go can either use a machine to test the tints or they don't bother checking it at all...charge for tints on safety checks are $5.00 extra....

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
LANI86

So I guess there are not a whole lot of crazy modded cars in Hawaii, huh? I see some in like Super Street magazine but I wonder how they get around the RECON...or are they not even registered to be driven on the streets??
Old 06-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
myasis14

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Garage
It depends on what your definition of "crazy modded cars" is.

If your idea of crazy modded is wheels and a drop, you should be fine permitting your license plate is 12" from the ground, you have alignment within 30 days of inspection, and your suspension rebounds one inch (thats a bit ridiculous). BTW Hawaii roads are shit - so you should be checking alignment more often than usual. The potholes here will bring it out of whack quick. If youre talking substantial suspension mods - dont do it here, unless you plan to track it (SCCA is what we have left) or hit Campbells or what not. The stiffer your suspension is here the faster it'll rattle your car apart. Softer settings are good here too - less chance of you flying off the crappy ass roads at higher speeds.

Engine swaps are dime a dozen here. There's lots of guys with SR20 and RB25 swaps, let alone the Honda community. RECON even allows it, permitting you can show proof that you got the engine legitimately. I've pushed two 240sx's with SR swaps through RECON no problem. Well, they just gigged me for alignment being 15 days out of date the first time I went through. Forced induction is not an issue, as long as you don't compromise your bumper reinforcement, which I understand.

It's federally mandated that you do not remove factory cats, which would mean aftermarket headers and front pipes are illegal in any state. But they dont even check that here. If you roll in with one loud ass car though you'll likely be scrutinized. They don't examine your system at safety check either.

Keep in mind when you get safety check they do check your RECON papers and they also take a photo of your car to send to DOT.

RECON has come a long way from how it was back in the day. I used to hate RECON - but as it's changed so has my attitude towards it to some degree. I'm not happy with some of the ways in which the perform their test (Rebound push test? really??) Looking at vehicle mod laws elsewhere (Virginia/Maryland is a nightmare) I'm just glad it's gotten better instead of worse.

Last edited by myasis14; 06-02-2015 at 04:29 PM.
myasis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myasis14 For This Useful Post:
REAV3R (06-02-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There is no minimum height requirement in Hawaii. From the State Inspection Manual-

Bumpers- The State sets a 22-inch maximum height for cars. There is no minimum height for cars.

Also covered in HRS 291-35.1

I don't see anything about suspension rebound.

And OP, only Oahu requires recons.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...cks-9-2013.pdf

Last edited by joe strummer; 06-03-2015 at 02:12 AM.
joe strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #9
LANI86

So I'm guessing this person doesn't live on Oahu??

http://gulfcars.blogspot.com/2014/09...ian-punch.html

This car was featured on the Super Street magazine, and it did mention about the owner paying expensive dues and what not but its still got a Hawaiian "plate." But based on all of the thread I've read here, it's not really about paying the fees that comes along but solely, the vehicle must pass the RECON in order for the vehicle to pass the "actual" inspection right?

Revision Audio's LS is another good example.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/...o-lexus-ls430/

But however these people got their way around it, the bottom line is that it has to pass RECON living on Oahu; I got it, though it's an annoying factor to consider.

It's already giving me second thoughts living over there...

Last edited by LANI86; 06-03-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
REAV3R
Former Boost Junkie

LOL ^^

...just wait until you experience the H1 interstate highway traffic when it takes you more than two hours to drive 15 miles. Then there's the potholes... and parking fees... IF you can find a parking spot... and traffic... oh, and the red dirt that makes your car filthy five minutes after washing and gets into EVERY little seam and seal on your car... and the rain (it usually rains at least once a day here at Schofield. The rest of the island will be sunny and breezy and beautiful but not up here!) Did I mention the traffic?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
LANI86

I agree REAV3R. I've visited Oahu countless times before I thought about moving over there. You're so right about the red dirt. It really stands out on a white car.

The island doesn't seem to be a great place after all for a car enthusiast like myself to migrate...
Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just because you need a recon? In the first pic, I think only the tires wouldn't pass. The second one is the wheels.

Neither car has a recon sticker, so they're taking their chances. Maybe they're cops, or family members. Who knows? I'm sure a lot of people don't have insurance and still drive. It's a crapshoot whether you get caught.
joe strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
LANI86

Definitely Joe. I was only being sarcastic about not moving.
It's definitely a pain in the a** though. We don't have to deal with these things in LA, but the smog regulation is very strict here. Definitely no engine swap, but people illegally do SR20 or K20A here; dunno how they get around the smog inspection...

I'm sure if I spend a sufficient amount of money I can work around getting some adjustable arms & camber kits to fix the alignment back to stock specs. My shocks are rebound adjustable so I'll make sure to have these set at about 2" travel before the recon. Any my tires are free from hitting the wheel well. I think that's all there is to it. I do have BRIDE seats, but I believe seats are not a recon item. No engine mods; just some accessories like braces and strut bars.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #14
keonigt

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
So majority of the people here passed recon with your coilovers? Just wondering, for the people that passed the bounce test, what is your spring rate for your coils?
keonigt is offline   Reply With Quote