follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgough95 View Post
I've also noticed this noise recently but i can only hear it when i am backing up my driveway which is an incline.
Started off that way, with clicking from complete stop (forward or backward) but progessively gotten worse, with clicking during 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard View Post
I thought this was just the E-brake making this noise? I'm pretty sure ive had this since day one
I originally thought this too, but it didn't make sense since it clicked while it was moving and the e-brake disengaged. Care to elaborate?
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
aryamak

Drives: 2013 Whiteoute FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just noticed this issue two days ago. It's driving me insane. I thought it might be a loose nut in my LCA. I'll have to check if it's the same culprit from your video. Please keep me updated. I'm so annoyed at the sound.
aryamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My money is on axle nuts, it's so common I'm tempted to do a DIY video but mine have no reason to be replaced...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
BigFatFlip

Update: Found a dealer to agree with me after demonstrating it on the lift with them. "Parts" were ordered (not entirely sure which) and are due next week. Will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryamak View Post
I just noticed this issue two days ago. It's driving me insane. I thought it might be a loose nut in my LCA. I'll have to check if it's the same culprit from your video. Please keep me updated. I'm so annoyed at the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
My money is on axle nuts, it's so common I'm tempted to do a DIY video but mine have no reason to be replaced...
As Strat mentioned, the axle nuts are probably the easiest to try to fix it. I would just take it to the dealer and just ask them to retorque them for you. If that doesn't work, its a $8 part ea (for me at least) to replace. I've done it myself during my lunch break, toughest part was hammering out that crimp (didn't have the best of tools).
Old 10-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had the same problem as well. Dealer just had to re-torque down the axle nuts. Never had the issue again. I think its been like 25k miles since it happened.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #20
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the same noise as well. I noticed it's louder if I do a "hard" shift.

Is this covered under the powertrain warranty?
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I can produce that exact noise if I lift up slightly on the e-brake handle when the car is in motion. Suspect the pivots for the parking brake shoes are a bit loose (parking brake is a drum brake inside the rear brake hat). Probably from yanking it. either way, I can make the noise happen when loading and unloading the engine if I leave the e-brake very slightly engaged (dragging). Your e-brake may be dragging.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #22
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
I have the same noise as well. I noticed it's louder if I do a "hard" shift.

Is this covered under the powertrain warranty?
It all depends on what your dealer finds. Certain items may be deemed as "wear items" and may not be covered under warranty. In this case, the axles are not wear items and are covered under the drivetrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
I can produce that exact noise if I lift up slightly on the e-brake handle when the car is in motion. Suspect the pivots for the parking brake shoes are a bit loose (parking brake is a drum brake inside the rear brake hat). Probably from yanking it. either way, I can make the noise happen when loading and unloading the engine if I leave the e-brake very slightly engaged (dragging). Your e-brake may be dragging.
I did a quick experiment last night (actually, just repeated some things I've already mentioned in the original post) to test your suggestion. With the car parked and with the e-brake only slightly engaged (1-2 clicks), I pushed the car back and forth and heard the click. I then placed the car in gear and dis-engaged the e-brake and repeated the "push" test and did not hear anything. You maybe on to something here.

Just dropped off the car at the dealer this morning and told them about the e-brake thing. They'll take a look before replacing the axles.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #23
BigFatFlip

Quick update: Took the car to the dealer last Wed. and they went ahead and replaced my passenger side rear axle (the one clicking as shown in the video). I also mentioned that they should have a look at the e-brake since that has also been found to cause a similar noise. They went ahead and inspected the e-brake and found nothing "loose" and adjusted the tension.

Unfortunately, the clicking is still there, except now I have a tighter e-brake handle. My dealer is still scratching their heads and are all out of ideas. I have one last thing to try (re-grease the e-brake shoes) but will probably give up on this if this doesn't fix the problem.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #24
BigFatFlip

Well, the saga has finally come to a close. Clicking noise was coming from the driver side rear axle, which was replaced by the dealer under warranty.

So in summary: Clicking noise on loading/unloading coming from both sides in the rear. Aftermarket coilovers installed well after clicking started, set to stock height. Tried all previous suggestions from research: retorque/replace axle nuts, inspect and regrease e-brake. Passenger side was an outer joint failure while the driver side was an inner joint failure, don't know specifics. Dealer replaced both rear axles under warranty (Thank you Matt at Livermore Subaru!).

Lesson: Crappy axles on a cheap sports car, time to save up for DSS axles for the next 35k miles.