follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2015, 03:16 AM   #57
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hmm. I'm starting to think .. if height adjustable range's "Max Low / Hi" meant against stock, or against that "Base Ride Height Drop"? If later, and thus resulting -1.2"/-0.8" is as high as it gets, these certainly are not for me, wanting NO drop :/.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #58
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Hmm. I'm starting to think .. if height adjustable range's "Max Low / Hi" meant against stock, or against that "Base Ride Height Drop"? If later, and thus resulting -1.2"/-0.8" is as high as it gets, these certainly are not for me, wanting NO drop :/.
If you are serious about purchasing and don't mind spending a little extra, there are a bunch of options you can do.
Email/call a distributor/retailer and see what options they may have.
Email Tein directly and ask.
1. Custom order from tein, ask for a longer threaded portion.
2. Strut spacers like off road guys use.
3. Buy shocks, look for threaded sleeves and put a spring into those sleeves, thus making your own "coilover" setup. Or buy a ground control threaded sleeve/spring setup, ask for longer sleeves and/or springs.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 AM   #59
godzuki

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Received my set of Flex Zs earlier this week. If the green paint is indicative of their quality, these should be much better than the Konis (which arrived with flaked yellow paint) I currently have on my car. Hope to install this weekend. These are my first set of height adjustable coilovers ever. I need to figure out how to adjust ride height. Anybody know what's the drop if I just don't touch them at all? I'm just looking for a drop in the 1-1.2" range.

Attachment 117790
It's recommended you adjust them to spec and tighten down everything. My fronts were a bit out of spec and needed more spring pre-load. Rears were pretty close to spec. Make sure you tighten the spring pre-load collars good before you put them on cause it's going to be much harder after they're on, especially in the rear.

On a separate note I tried 6 clicks at first and felt that was worse than stock, cinched up to 4 all around and it feels better than stock now.

I couldn't figure out if the rears were matched to a left or right but did notice one rear has a small groove in the edge of the top plate. I assumed this was for the left rear.

Last edited by godzuki; 08-14-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 AM   #60
godzuki

Quote:
I read it as meaning front can be adjusted to stock height but rears max out to .4" above stock.

Last edited by godzuki; 08-14-2015 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo, it's late :P
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #61
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
swarb: "custom" doesn't sound "budget" anymore to me, and in such case i can consider higher priced ones too with no such max base height limit. Spacers doesn't sound too attractive, as while it can get height up, travel will still be limited. I guess it's simpler to wait for someone to respond which case with max height according to such specs actually is, and decide according to that if they are for me or if i should keep on looking what will fit my wishes better.

godzuki: i'd wish for that to be this way .. but i want to find out that for sure prior order/purchase
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 AM   #62
godzuki

Quote:
swarb: "custom" doesn't sound "budget" anymore to me, and in such case i can consider higher priced ones too with no such max base height limit. Spacers doesn't sound too attractive, as while it can get height up, travel will still be limited. I guess it's simpler to wait for someone to respond which case with max height according to such specs actually is, and decide according to that if they are for me or if i should keep on looking what will fit my wishes better.

godzuki: i'd wish for that to be this way .. but i want to find out that for sure prior order/purchase
of course, a wise thing to do. what I can tell you is I just adjusted mine an inch higher than factory spec, which should be -.2" from stock height. I'll let you know if anything bad happens

i'll add that there was a LOT more room for adjustment higher btw, but that doesn't mean that it's safe to do so.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #63
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
As a general rule, with anything stiffer than stock, you will also be lower than stock. Otherwise, you'd have zero droop travel and the car will handle unpredictably.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
drewbot (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #64
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
hmmm mad tempting
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #65
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So we have this...

and then we have the Penske setup that Receseng is working on.

For those that have driven both... can you give a breakdown of what it's like to go around 1 lap of your choice racetrack.

what sort of feelings will be experienced by the feet, hands, and ass between the two setups.
drewbot (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #66
Coastermikey

Drives: BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
so these over ST? Im in the market and these and the ST's are the same price.
Coastermikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #67
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Yeah, according to this site. Base ride height (drop) is 1.2" already. I guess I don't have to touch anything before installing

http://www.tein.com/srch/us_search.p...%2b&item=FLEXZ
Always measure everything before tightening down every nut, bolt, and collar. This ensures everything is torqued and loaded properly before use.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #68
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Got mine ordered today with some SPL lac's. Can't wait to get these on.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djliquidsteele For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #69
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Always measure everything before tightening down every nut, bolt, and collar. This ensures everything is torqued and loaded properly before use.

This is good advice. The fronts were okay, but the "B" distance for the rears for the base ride height (-1.2" drop from OEM) is supposed to 1.4" but I had to adjust the collars from a distance of 2.5"+ out of the box.

Lesson: Don't just install straight from the box expecting uniform default TEIN drop on all 4 corners like I was half jokingly/seriously considering. Measure, re-measure, double-check, tighten everything.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #70
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is there a downloadable manual somewhere to make sure there aren't any tool I may need to buy before install. I guess specifically I am looking for torque ranges for complete install so I know which torque wrench to buy.
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote