follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
GT Radial Champiro UHP1 el cheapo tires review

So just put on 4 225/45/17 GT Radial Champiro UHP1s at discount tire. The tires themselves were 82 ea. after tax, road hazard, mount/balance etc, total was just over $450. So VERY cheap for 4 tires. I will certainly be putting something better on next summer, and hopefully be putting them on XXR 527s or Phat Phux (wow, I almost can't even type that... they could've at least come up with something less... brash.) Then my stockers will get 50 profile snow tires, probably blizzaks. So since I'm low on cash, and only need them to get me to next summerish, seemed like a decent choice, and I can also review them a bit here, so if they're total garbage, I can warn people.

My initial research shows that they're actually an OK tire, with the major negative being tread life. A few people on other forums have jumped on them. The only thorough review I've seen however, was a Cobalt SS owner, who was very very impressed. He included some video of autocross, some in utter downpour. The tires seemed to do very well, obviously for pure performance there are better tires, but at the pricepoint these are offered at, and the supposed insane wet road traction, they are a pretty good deal.

Also, they're sold a lot in Australia, and many drivers of Holdens and other big sedans that are RWD seem to find them fairly suitable, and many get about 15k miles out of them. The aforementioned cobalt driver was 2 autocrosses in and a few thousand miles, and claims almost no loss in tread. I can only hope this holds true for me.

I do not drive in a fashion that promotes tire life! I'll say that now. Look at another thread of mine and see what happened to my Michelins if you dare. I finished off the primacys in less than 5k miles, granted, that included a drift event, and some practice of my own. Still...

Please don't reply telling me I'm an idiot for buying them bla bla bla. I'm taking the plunge for everyone, and maybe we'll find a pretty good tire for one years use. I wish I had the instrumentation, and driving ability to compare these to other tires.

My only other setups on this car-
4 Primacys
2 Primacys up front, 2 225/40/17 Bridgestone something or others out back
2 Primacys up front, " Potenzas with snow like tread and 470 treadwear
4 Kumho Ecsta 4X on 17x7J unknown wheels of my buddy's GSX (pictures avail.)

So far, these tires have more grip than any of the above setups. I can feel a pronounced increase in body roll, and I could definitely see where a front sway bar and stiffer front/rear spring rates, (with a larger increase in F/R ratio to reduce oversteer) would help some. Steering feel? A bit number than the Michelins, but better than the Kumhos. Initial bite isn't bad, and they respond very well with a progressive turn in.

Initially they feel a lot like the Kumho Ecstas I had on the car for a bit. So good terminal grip, and progressively approaches the limit, but not quite the same for response as some other tires. Partly from taller sidewall, and part of it is I don't think the sidewalls are near as stiff as some. I am impressed so far though. Driving comfort has improved, as well as road noise. I'm satisfied as of right now. I don't really drive the car on the track, and just mess around when I have the time, so I'm not the best person to review these. I'll keep everyone updates as I have the opportunity to try them in different weather conditions, and see how they wear over time.

Also, if you're in the Colo Spgs area, hit me up, you're welcome to drive the car. I'd love some better feedback from people who're more experienced, or have nicer tires mounted to see how they compare. I'm totally being as open minded as possible here. If they're utter crap, I'll happily inform everyone to run for the hills.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
8R6 (07-22-2015), Bonburner (05-10-2015), HATED1 (04-09-2015)
Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
zohare

Garage
Ok so a quick update, gone through a few hundred miles, haven't driven super hard yet, but drove them in another downpour the other night, and 1000X better than my worn out set, and they seem to outperform the Primacys for sure in the rain. Braking is fantastic in particular. I'll be pushing them a little more as opportunities present themselves to safely do so. So far, only complaint is a slightly softer sidewall than I'd like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (05-10-2015), HATED1 (04-09-2015)
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for your thoughts. Always good to have real life hands on from people when it comes to cheap tires
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
zohare (10-01-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
HATED1

Drives: 86
Thanked 1,045 Times in 443 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Garage
thanks for the review, probably gonna pick these up for my 17X9+30 rims
HATED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HATED1 For This Useful Post:
zohare (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
zohare

Garage
18,500 miles. Lots of hard driving, but a lot of highway use too. Still seem to be holding up fine. Definitely not a TON of grip, but they're fine as DD tires. If I was a track guy I'd be looking for something stickier, and stiffer. Part of it is going from a 40/215 to a 45/225 I think? Anyhow, thought I'd update. Pictures once the car's clean will come. Issues now with possible head problem so it's gonna be in the dealer tomorrow till god knows when...
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
HATED1 (04-09-2015)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Gr1vlet

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stumbled across this - thought I would crosspost. I still have these tires and just posted another update. If your strapped for cash id recommend trying these.

http://m.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=298775

ALSO! These tires LOVE pressure. Run them at 35-38 and they will respond much better. I only recommend running like this if you want to go for a spirited drive or for autox as prolonged high pressure will wear the middle of the tire faster.

Cheers though! Ive got a nemesis in SCCA STX this year running a fully-prepped FRS, so I'll be lurking on here in the future I'm sure!
Gr1vlet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gr1vlet For This Useful Post:
8R6 (07-22-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Any update @zohare? Did you finish burning through the set?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I bought a set since I planned on burning them off rather quickly as my daily shenanigan tires.
so far so good. I have put 1k miles on them and have been sliding and burning out on them. no issues so far.
they don't handle too bad for a cheap tire. equal performance to my v12s on the street.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shit Luck For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (05-10-2015), finch1750 (04-09-2015), HATED1 (04-09-2015), itsibarra (04-09-2015)