follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #1303
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Hi Matt,

Would 60mm (2.35") work? Most Japanese made cat-back are 60mm in diameter.

I want to save my eardrums too and I prefer a quiet exhaust too, Thanks!

Would any of these work? or They are still "restrictive"? Thanks!

Fujitsubo Authorize R

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exha...-s-brz-86.html

Blitz C-TI

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exha...-fr-s-brz.html

Greddy Supreme SP

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exha...-fr-s-brz.html

HKS Legamax

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/exha...-2013-brz.html

Thanks
any of these are better than stock but pipe bore is important to wringing the last bit out - I found 3" was worth something over 2.5" even running NA

But probably best to go with the sound you like the most as we're onyl talking a few Bhp
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
botbs (11-26-2018), weederr33 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #1304
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
any of these are better than stock but pipe bore is important to wringing the last bit out - I found 3" was worth something over 2.5" even running NA

But probably best to go with the sound you like the most as we're onyl talking a few Bhp
Hi Matt,

I am not too concerned about the HP as the Cosworth SC already gave me enough HP and TQ

I just want to get the tune right and a reliable set-up with factory "look". A quiet set-up like factory would be a bonus!

Thanks!

Sam
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #1305
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Any preference for catch can brands? Do any fit better with the Cosworth than others?
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #1306
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
As soon as the weather improves I'm going to install a Mishimoto compact on mine. I got the compact so I would have more room to work. Their mounting location is at the back of the firewall where the throttle body is now. Obviously it will not fit there with the Cosworth setup. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it installed. Still have some Cosworth hoses left over (unmarked hose "10" as mentioned earlier) so I should be able to get it to look like it belongs under the hood of a Cosworth BRZ.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #1307
gtengr

I'm leaning towards the Radium for now. It's tucked away in the driver-side corner and looks like it would be mostly out of the way of everything. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/radi...l#.W_7Hd2hKjsA
Old 11-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #1308
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I'm leaning towards the Radium for now. It's tucked away in the driver-side corner and looks like it would be mostly out of the way of everything. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/radi...l#.W_7Hd2hKjsA
That one looks like it's for the crankcase breather. Be sure to get one for the PCV line on the passenger side. Most of your oil blowby will come from the PCV line and not the breather.
The Following User Says Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
eMCee (11-30-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #1309
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
That one looks like it's for the crankcase breather. Be sure to get one for the PCV line on the passenger side. Most of your oil blowby will come from the PCV line and not the breather.
Installing on the PCV line is the plan. I was looking at the crankcase kit since it has the driver's side bracket.

I ended up buying the Moroso 85474 universal kit. Going to DIY the bracket in order to position the drain fitting in a good location.

Last edited by gtengr; 11-28-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #1310
botbs

2.5" cat-back exhaust ordered, hopefully tune goes well this time. Finger cross :/
Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #1311
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
2.5" cat-back exhaust ordered, hopefully tune goes well this time. Finger cross :/
Which one did you go with?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #1312
botbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Which one did you go with?
I went with 2.5" Perrin Resonated as I want a quiet exhaust that is close to stock.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #1313
sly

Installed a Mishimoto catch can today. I got the compact version so there would be plenty of clearance around it to work. Mounted it behind the passenger side head light. That spot gave lots of room to work with clearance to remove the can for maintenance and cleaning. There is a tab of sheet metal right where the hood prop connects. I bent it down gently and drilled the 2 small holes to mount the can.

I reused one of the EVAP hoses I removed during the supercharger installation. It was the perfect length and even was bent the right way. Hooked this hose from the PCV valve to the inlet of the catch can. Then I used the leftover Cosworth hose I had from my installation. This is the long unmarked hose that was called "10" earlier in the thread. There was more than enough to reach from the catch can output to the back of the throttle body. I routed both hoses underneath the intake manifold. So far it works perfectly. Drove it a little today and the bottom of the can was already damp from catching blowby.

All I paid for this project was a catch can which I got for $77.50 new on eBay and a roll of polyethylene tubing from Lowes. The tubing was to make a bushing to go from 3/8in barb to 1/2in for the larger Cosworth hose. All the hoses I used were left over from the supercharger install which makes it look more OEM.
Attached Images

Last edited by sly; 11-30-2018 at 12:40 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
botbs (11-30-2018), gtengr (11-30-2018), Seba (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #1314
Seba

Drives: BRZ Cosworth SC MY16
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Installed a Mishimoto catch can today. I got the compact version so there would be plenty of clearance around it to work. Mounted it behind the passenger side head light. That spot gave lots of room to work with clearance to remove the can for maintenance and cleaning. There is a tab of sheet metal right where the hood prop connects. I bent it down gently and drilled the 2 small holes to mount the can.

I reused one of the EVAP hoses I removed during the supercharger installation. It was the perfect length and even was bent the right way. Hooked this hose from the PCV valve to the inlet of the catch can. Then I used the leftover Cosworth hose I had from my installation. This is the long unmarked hose that was called "10" earlier in the thread. There was more than enough to reach from the catch can output to the back of the throttle body. I routed both hoses underneath the intake manifold. So far it works perfectly. Drove it a little today and the bottom of the can was already damp from catching blowby.

All I paid for this project was a catch can which I got for $77.50 new on eBay and a roll of polyethylene tubing from Lowes. The tubing was to make a bushing to go from 3/8in barb to 1/2in for the larger Cosworth hose. All the hoses I used were left over from the supercharger install which makes it look more OEM.
Indeed, looks very oem. Nice and clean job. It would be nice, if you sent some pictures where exactly you plugged the hoses. I wonder how much oil it will collect.

Seb
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #1315
gtengr

Quote:
Installed a Mishimoto catch can today...
Were you able to access everything needed to install it by just removing the intake pipe? I'm going to be installing a PCV can tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #1316
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post
Indeed, looks very oem. Nice and clean job. It would be nice, if you sent some pictures where exactly you plugged the hoses. I wonder how much oil it will collect.

Seb
I wrote down my mileage. I'll check it in a few hundred miles and show any oil accumulation it may have. I'll get some pictures later of the connections, but basically you need to remove the PCV hose and then route the PCV valve to the "IN" on the can and then connect the "OUT" of the can to the throttle body.

Remove the intake tube to make it easier. Attached to the intake tube is the hose that goes to your crankcase breather. This hose attaches to the intake tube on one end and to a port under the AC over on the driver's side on the other end. Disconnect the end that connects to the intake tube. This will enable you to remove the tube completely and set it aside. You will not be attaching the catch can to this hose.

Then on the passenger's side (US car/ LHD), look back at the throttle body. There is a single vacuum port with a hose that goes from that port, down to the top of the engine block. That is your PCV hose. Remove this. You will see a shiny port on top of your engine where this hose was connected, located under your intake manifold on the passenger's side. You can see it if you stand back near the battery. That is your PCV valve. You need to connect a hose to the PCV valve and then route it to the "IN" on your catch can. Then connect another hose from vacuum port on the passenger's side of your throttle body to the "OUT" on the catch can.

That's it. Be sure to use hose clamps so you don't get a vacuum leak. Then reattach the breather hose to the intake tube, put the intake tube back on and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Were you able to access everything needed to install it by just removing the intake pipe? I'm going to be installing a PCV can tomorrow or Sunday.
Yes, that's all I needed to remove. With that out of the way, there is enough room under the intake to be able to work and route your hoses.

The PCV system has 2 hoses. Vacuum from the engine pulls oil, water and fuel vapor out of the crankcase through the PCV valve. Fresh filtered air enters the crankcase on the other side of the engine through the other hose, the breather hose. So you have constant circulation in your crankcase to remove vapors. The reason they do this is that piston rings never seal completely. Especially when the engine is cold. Combustion pressure from the cylinder leaks past the piston rings and builds up pressure in the crankcase under the piston. Without a PCV system, pressure would build up and eventually blow a head gasket. Our PCV system draws constant fresh air through the crankcase which serves to remove this pressure buildup and to scavenge any fuel vapor that may pass through the piston rings. This keeps fuel from accumulating in your engine oil which would lower its viscosity over time. Also when the engine is cold, moisture can be drawn in to the crankcase because when hot, the oil is basically "dry". Cold, it absorbs moisture from the air. When you run your engine and get it hot, this moisture boils off and the oil drys. The PCV system also pulls out this moisture and diverts it to the intake to remove it from the engine block.

Catch cans remove the oil, fuel and water vapor from the PCV hose so that only clean air enters your intake. Removing these vapors leaves the intake cleaner and slows deposit buildup from accumulating on your valves. Forced induction engines need catch cans even more because these engines create even more combustion pressure which creates more blowby for the PCV system.

Last edited by sly; 11-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
eMCee (11-30-2018), gtengr (11-30-2018), Seba (11-30-2018)