follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
STi/BRZ PP Brembo Brake Pad info (according to dealer)

So I went into my local stealership to show off the car I bought in Washington that they said they couldn't get, but while I was there I asked the parts guy to check and confirm the similarities in the brake pads between the STi Brembos and those on the 2017 BRZ PP models.

From what he saw, the part numbers for the rear calipers are the same. i.e. any aftermarket/performance rear pad for a STi will work for us. But...

He said that the part numbers are different for the front pads... He said that it doesn't necessarily mean that the pads aren't the same size but maybe just different compounds from the factory?

If anyone has real life info on this please add, I know autocross season has started for some. but I still have a month or two to break in the car and get summer tires and brakes...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
So I went into my local stealership to show off the car I bought in Washington that they said they couldn't get, but while I was there I asked the parts guy to check and confirm the similarities in the brake pads between the STi Brembos and those on the 2017 BRZ PP models.

From what he saw, the part numbers for the rear calipers are the same. i.e. any aftermarket/performance rear pad for a STi will work for us. But...

He said that the part numbers are different for the front pads... He said that it doesn't necessarily mean that the pads aren't the same size but maybe just different compounds from the factory?

If anyone has real life info on this please add, I know autocross season has started for some. but I still have a month or two to break in the car and get summer tires and brakes...
I've been working with G-Loc to get pads for my BRZ and they suggested the GP1001 shape pads for the front axle and the GP961 shape for the rears. CSG confirmed those numbers as well. I should have them this weekend (ordered yesterday) so I'll update with more information then.
mjanmohammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Yep @mjanmohammad is correct. I have the G-Locs as well, but have not installed them as of yet. And it wont be this weekend either since I am helping a friend install a DP and AOS onto his STI.

But the front calipers are the same size as the STI. But the piston sizing is different. I don't see why that would change the pad the size though.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Yep @mjanmohammad is correct. I have the G-Locs as well, but have not installed them as of yet. And it wont be this weekend either since I am helping a friend install a DP and AOS onto his STI.

But the front calipers are the same size as the STI. But the piston sizing is different. I don't see why that would change the pad the size though.
The backing plates are the same between the GLocs I bought late last Summer for my now-traded STI and the backing plates for my new MY17 PPkg BRZ and they fit the calipers perfectly. Talked with GLoc today to confirm
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
For those interested in the G-LOC pads on BRZ PP or 86 High PP, we have added them to our website. Please contact us for more info and selection specific to your application. We have experience with every compound that G-LOC offers.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
For those interested in the G-LOC pads on BRZ PP or 86 High PP, we have added them to our website. Please contact us for more info and selection specific to your application. We have experience with every compound that G-LOC offers.
Do you know if Ferodo has a DS2500 pad that will fit the PP front brakes? Absolutely fell in love with those pads on my '13.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Whats your opinion on the Winmax W3 vs the equivalent G-Loc pad? My car is a daily driver and autocross car, and I don't care about brake dust, I just want a low noise/squeal pad with good stopping power.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Do you know if Ferodo has a DS2500 pad that will fit the PP front brakes? Absolutely fell in love with those pads on my '13.
We'll add to the website once we verify the part number.

Quote:
Whats your opinion on the Winmax W3 vs the equivalent G-Loc pad? My car is a daily driver and autocross car, and I don't care about brake dust, I just want a low noise/squeal pad with good stopping power.
Winmax and G-LOC brake pads are formulated differently. When comparing the street and autocross use, they are very comparable in terms of good bite, modulation, and thermal capacity. Noise/squeal will always be a factor in performance pads, but can be reduced with proper bed-in. When you're ready, we can discuss what setup to go with to suit your needs.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
I installed my G-Locs this morning at the office before anyone else arrived. They fit well, and swapping pads on the Brembos are a cinch. I spend more time lifting the car and removing wheels, than swapping pads.

They are bedded, but I have not had time to romp on them yet. But good bite so far. I will report back when I have had time to play around.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
imnotsureaboutbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
I installed my G-Locs this morning at the office before anyone else arrived. They fit well, and swapping pads on the Brembos are a cinch. I spend more time lifting the car and removing wheels, than swapping pads.

They are bedded, but I have not had time to romp on them yet. But good bite so far. I will report back when I have had time to play around.
Which G-Loc set did you choose?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Which G-Loc set did you choose?

I went with the R6. Maybe a bit overkill for street, but this car may make it up to a an AX or two. Right now they over power my tires, which are 225 square, BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S. They are good aggressive all seasons, but no match for the Brembos with G-Loc R6 pads. However, some Re71s are likely around the corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (10-16-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 AM   #12
Var

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
600 miles on my PP, and the stock pads are dusty as hell. Mostly canyon driving so far. The front and rear wheels were caked pretty bad. Any experience with dust levels on aftermarket pads? Should I just assume things get worse from here?
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #13
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
600 miles on my PP, and the stock pads are dusty as hell. Mostly canyon driving so far. The front and rear wheels were caked pretty bad. Any experience with dust levels on aftermarket pads? Should I just assume things get worse from here?
brake pads and brake dust, amazing.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
FRSNewb

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
stupid question but would the Brembo brake pads (for the 2017 BRZ) fit on a 2013 FR-S?