follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
TRD Rear Diffuser Question

Hi guys, I'm looking to add a rear diffuser that covers the muffler and the gap in front of it. The only aftermarket one I've seen that does this adequately is the CLEiB diffuser,which is gorgeous, but crazy expensive.

After doing some searching, I found that TRD sells a similar, functional diffuser in Japan for the high response muffler (JDM quad tip).

My question is does anyone have this diffuser? Does it fit on other muffler's and provide adequate ground clearance? What are the dimensions of the JDM high response muffler as opposed to USDM stock/USDM TRD Catback?

I'm very tempted to just buy it and see if it fits since it's pretty low risk (under $200), and it looks like it would fit any muffler with only a slight bit of tweaking.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/40769

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...ear%20diffuser

avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avishenoy1 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-16-2015), swarb (07-16-2015), Wonderbar (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft-8...user-2063.html
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Createddeleted

Drives: 2014 BRZ - 2004 GLI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post

You're promoting and linking to a product that has had multiple fitment issues, bending of the rear strakes, and is currently in re-development planned over a period of months? Do you even own one?

For the original topic, it may fit with some modifications, but maybe you could look into buying materials to make you're own? With a $200 budget you could make something relatively similar and it would be an education project.
Createddeleted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Createddeleted For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createddeleted View Post
You're promoting and linking to a product that has had multiple fitment issues, bending of the rear strakes, and is currently in re-development planned over a period of months? Do you even own one?

For the original topic, it may fit with some modifications, but maybe you could look into buying materials to make you're own? With a $200 budget you could make something relatively similar and it would be an education project.
You mean a product that had barely any fitment issues with people who had exhaust setups that didn't match the existing "fits" list, and a few people that received bent fins that involved a packaging revision that will no longer effect future shipments, and a company that bit the bullet on all shipments and offered to replace them? Seems legit to me. Apparently you haven't been an early adopter of a product before. My car is the definition of early adopter and you should hear about all the issues I have had that never went public... None of which effected any future customers whatsoever because I worked with vendors to help them improve their shipping / products in the early stages of development.

#dumbass

Ill post on this as I do own one, and I've followed all the posts in the other thread with both companies jumping immediately (even on the weekend) to fix everyones issues. I only recall off the top of my head one exhaust not fitting that wasn't even stock.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-20-2015), DAEMANO (07-16-2015), Roadcone (07-17-2015), wparsons (07-18-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
The redevelopment is not redevelopment. It's an aesthetic change to satisfy some of the customers who do not like the aggressive looks of the current strake design.

@nelsmar covered the rest.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-20-2015), Createddeleted (07-16-2015), DAEMANO (07-16-2015), Roadcone (07-17-2015), wparsons (07-18-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEric6 View Post
The redevelopment is not redevelopment. It's an aesthetic change to satisfy some of the customers who do not like the aggressive looks of the current strake design.

@nelsmar covered the rest.
Or in short... A completely different product for a completely different customer type is currently being designed that will be a second product available, not a replacement... SMH
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Roadcone (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow. @nelsmar and @NotEric6 already chimed in on the details here....

But just so you know. I AM ONE OF THE CUSTOMERS THAT RECEIVED A DAMAGED BOX.... and sent it back, for a new one. I'm currently waiting for a new shipment with the new packaging. Been talking with FT-86 Speed Factory about it, and they've been nothing but great. Yes, I'm promoting it, because Velox has been incredibly transparent about EVERYTHING, FT-86 SF has been amazing in all of my dealings with them, and the product looks / performs awesome.

I can't wait to get it on my car, to the point where I'm currently begging FT-86 SF to overnight it to me today so I can have it tomorrow... We'll see if it works out, they are hesitant because they want time to make sure they can get the next shipment packaged properly so there are zero issues going forward.

You should get your facts straight before you decide to attack someone for simply posting a link. I didn't even say anything.... lol.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
There are actually a ton of diffusers available, plenty that are unique. The trd one you're looking at is actually phenomenal for a decent price.

And you can diy one for pretty cheap that will perform just as good as any off the shelf ones available. It's not a terribly difficult or magical part to build as long as you're willing to put hours in.

I've walked several people through building their own, as well as recommendations on which ones work great for their budget.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (07-17-2015), swarb (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking to add a rear diffuser that covers the muffler and the gap in front of it. The only aftermarket one I've seen that does this adequately is the CLEiB diffuser,which is gorgeous, but crazy expensive.

After doing some searching, I found that TRD sells a similar, functional diffuser in Japan for the high response muffler (JDM quad tip).

My question is does anyone have this diffuser? Does it fit on other muffler's and provide adequate ground clearance? What are the dimensions of the JDM high response muffler as opposed to USDM stock/USDM TRD Catback?

I'm very tempted to just buy it and see if it fits since it's pretty low risk (under $200), and it looks like it would fit any muffler with only a slight bit of tweaking.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/40769

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...ear%20diffuser

I say go for it. It's a really good option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (07-17-2015), swarb (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Thank you for posting this. $200 is much better than $500+. And much better than the frp show piece that everyone else has.
Anyone know how much smaller the trd exhaust canister is to the stock one? Trying to figure out if this will fit with the stock exhaust.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Wonderbar (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
I'm sorry, but I have to speak up on this as it is a pet-peeve of mine when poor information gets spread around and what ultimately holds back the aftermarket industry as a whole. Not just everyone can go produce a truly function rear diffuser. It takes quite a bit of knowledge, understanding of fluid flow (CFD ability helps to validate), and to make it nice, a good ability with sheet metal in this case (carbon fiber/fiberglass being another option).

Not just anyone can go produce a good injector, a good strut, a good big brake kit, a good piston, a good rod, etc. Aerodynamic pieces aren't any different if you want to build a well handling vehicle at speed.

To get down to the diffuser the OP posted about; no doubt that it will improve fluid flow out the rear of the vehicle vs. not having anything. For the price, it's a good piece. There are other, better alternatives out there that I have no doubt will improve performance vastly over that piece though. If you believe you possess the three abilities above, then building your own should be a consideration as well.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Eh.

Not really.

About 20 hours of reading and looking at the unlimited knowledge published on the Internet will get 95% solution. Nothing else will be noticeable or worth the investment for 99/100 users.

Some trial and error, road testing, etc.

I've been building custom stuff since I was a kid using the same methods, guidelines and rules. It's good enough to make its way on race tracks and race cars around the world, as well as the personal cars of actual race team aero engineers.

It's really not that hard. Providing a service to people without the means or desire to do it themselves is one thing but saying its some kind of magic that people won't do right is just misleading.

Last edited by Wonderbar; 07-16-2015 at 06:04 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (07-17-2015), sittinSideways (07-28-2015), swarb (07-16-2015), wparsons (07-18-2015), xkalelx (07-18-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
True. R&D is not cheap and a QUALITY diffuser is better.
Some are willing to pay top dollar for top quality product that has top quality r&d.
Some are cheap asses and think any flat panel will work. Does it? Probably or maybe, optimal? Probably not.
I myself don't have a full on race car and am a weekend warrior/ricer(2-3x a year) looking for bang for the buck and the trd fits my bill.
Is the top quality one worth 3x the price? for me no.
Would it be worth it for another person who runs forged wheels($$$$) on their street driven "race" car with full aero etc? probably.
For a full on race team? Definitely.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #14
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Garage
The TRD diffuser above seems to leave a lot of area uncovered. The price is nice, and generally speaking I trust TRD. If my budget was only $200, I would have considered it.

I am however, another person here who has the Velox / FT86Speedfactory diffuser in possession. It was delivered 2 days ago.

How is it? FT86SF's packaging caused some damage. With @NotEric6 's assistance (who was in contact with me immediately and the whole way through), the problem is fixed. FT86SF has taken care of me as well.

The R&D on this product was transparent and Velox's data has been released to the public. As far as Aero parts go, there is a very small percentage of MFGs out there that release this info. The quality, fit and finish of the diffuser is second to none. If it fits your budget, buy it. To me, it's worth every penny to know that it is attached securely to the car, it's well made, and most importantly it works.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
johan (07-16-2015), swarb (07-16-2015)