follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just had this issue when I left work today. White smoke from the exhaust on start up for a couple seconds. I got out quickly to smell the exhaust and I didn't smell oil.

I also had white smoke come from the vents yesterday when I switched the A/C from recirculate to pull in air from outside. It didn't really smell like anything. It has been hot the past couple days so I have been running the A/C quite a bit, but I did not use it this morning going to work. Almost 20k miles on the car.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Usually if it's condensation, the steam will dissipate quickly.

Smoke lingers, and floats away depending on wind.

The white smoke is actually steam, and happens to just about every car. It is more or less depending on the weather humidity.

The cooling exhaust causes condensation inside the same as water collects on a glass of ice water.

White SMOKE on startup usually indicates rings or valve guides, and I'd be surprised if either of those is happening on a newer, low miles engine.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A brz owner at the last autox (80+*temps) had a tomei 60s exhaust and was also getting some white smoke, and we couldn't figure out what it was.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
As @whaap mentioned above. Boxers are notorious for smoking a little right at startup.
Especially if it sits for a long time or is parked at an angle.
OR.... if you overfill the oil
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Usually if it's condensation, the steam will dissipate quickly.

Smoke lingers, and floats away depending on wind.

The white smoke is actually steam, and happens to just about every car. It is more or less depending on the weather humidity.

The cooling exhaust causes condensation inside the same as water collects on a glass of ice water.

White SMOKE on startup usually indicates rings or valve guides, and I'd be surprised if either of those is happening on a newer, low miles engine.
I am feeling confident that it is steam now. When it came out of the vents it disappeared pretty quickly, and had no smell. When it came out of the exhaust on start up, by the time I jumped out of the car to check it out all the smoke/steam had disappeared.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeah, this happens to me just about every morning. I'm pretty sure it is steam. I have a Manzo catback. The exhaust tips are angled up. So any time it rains, the muffler could get filled with water. I almost need those flappers you see on semis to keep the water out.
So yes I do keep it in the garage. But when it rains here it RAINS.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Condensation from high idle and cold start rich fuel mix. Normal
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
While I normally would agree with condensation, high idle, etc, this is probably something unique to the boxer engine.

Today, this issue happened again.

Conditions:
~ 70-75F, mid-day (around 1PM)
Car has been parked in garage since the weekend, I last drove it on Sunday (all day), and moved it today because I am swapping out the diff.

Upon startup, there was a large plume of smoke behind the car. I got out, smelled it, it's definitely oil + condensation as it's not entirely blue, but has enough burn smell to let me know it's oil.

Oil level is very good, no other burning oil. Currently at close to 5000 miles, oil was changed back in May 2014.

It is not condensation. It's not rain. I have only had this happen twice, both times there wasn't anything to produce condensation in the amount that would produce the smoke volume exhibited.

FWIW: the amount of smoke was about the same as if you ran a fog machine about 2-3 seconds. I'd say about 2-3 tablespoons of oil burnt at the same time...

It's honestly not an issue, just posting this for documentation purposes so people can stop attributing this to just "condensation"...

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic View Post
I noticed this too...

But I also noticed that my car produces more condensation when driving in cold weather compared to other cars...and does not seem to stop producing condensation "smoke" even after driving a while. It doesnt smell funny or anything...anyone know why?

i have this issue too. this thread seems dead so hopefully i can revive it.. my car seems to be producing steam/smoke at all times at night even when the engine is up to normal operating temps. it does this in the morning as well but i just chalk that up to cold start in the morning.
i was wondering if anyone else had this issue? its not smoke its more like steam, it dissipates quickly into the air. if the answer is simply this is normal i want to know why
Eski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski View Post
i have this issue too. this thread seems dead so hopefully i can revive it.. my car seems to be producing steam/smoke at all times at night even when the engine is up to normal operating temps. it does this in the morning as well but i just chalk that up to cold start in the morning.
i was wondering if anyone else had this issue? its not smoke its more like steam, it dissipates quickly into the air. if the answer is simply this is normal i want to know why
Because water vapor is a normal byproduct of combustion, and when the exhaust gasses, carrying that water vapor are cooled (by colder ambient air) that water vapor condenses out into condensate.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
Eski (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
This thread was dead because the question had been answered 20 times already!
The answer is not going to change.