follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJjoey0812 View Post
Well for everyone here
1. Gas or without gas it does it
2. It happens anywhere where I have some type of left turn
3. It happens on most curves and all left turns
4. Speed doesn't matter
5. I prefer to drive with TC off but when it's on traction control and I turn left on a curve or a actual turn it turns on hard af to counter the car yanking me to the left and with it off and I do the same it yanks to the left hard and I gotta be ready to counter it or it will probably yank you into a car or curb that's next to you
Ok, so for #5, it sounds like the car continues to have the problem even after TC and VSC are "completely" off (long TC button press, not VSC sport right?). As you described, it is worse without TC and VSC on, so that leads me to believe there is a mechanical issue. One last check could be removing the ABS fuse in an empty parking lot and seeing if the same thing happens if you want to be 100% sure it's not a faulty sensor.

Just to be clear
TC: Cuts throttle when rear slip detected
VSC: Operates brakes in order to keep vehicle pointed in direction of travel
ABS: Modulates brakes when wheels lock up under braking.

6. So by "jerk to the left", are you saying that the steering wheel tries to pull out of your hand to the left when making left turns, correct? If TC is on, throttle is cut simultaneously. Does ABS engage as well?

7. Was this happening when you bought the car and didn't notice, or did this start happening after you bought the car?

8. Any sounds?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 AM   #16
DJjoey0812

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Ok, so for #5, it sounds like the car continues to have the problem even after TC and VSC are "completely" off (long TC button press, not VSC sport right?). As you described, it is worse without TC and VSC on, so that leads me to believe there is a mechanical issue. One last check could be removing the ABS fuse in an empty parking lot and seeing if the same thing happens if you want to be 100% sure it's not a faulty sensor.

Just to be clear
TC: Cuts throttle when rear slip detected
VSC: Operates brakes in order to keep vehicle pointed in direction of travel
ABS: Modulates brakes when wheels lock up under braking.

6. So by "jerk to the left", are you saying that the steering wheel tries to pull out of your hand to the left when making left turns, correct? If TC is on, throttle is cut simultaneously. Does ABS engage as well?

7. Was this happening when you bought the car and didn't notice, or did this start happening after you bought the car?

8. Any sounds?
So yes to what you're saying about the just to be clear is right

6. Yeah it tries pulling to the left suddenly TC cuts throttle and VSC, ABS engages to keep the car from totally pulling to the left
7. I never noticed it when I test drove twice, it happened about a week later I live in a somewhat hilly area but they re-did the roads not too long ago where I live, so smooth roads.
8. The only sounds I hear I believe is the VSC trying to keep the car strait and today I noticed a like pop like sound when turning so I'm guessing it has to be some type of joint
DJjoey0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJjoey0812 View Post
So yes to what you're saying about the just to be clear is right

6. Yeah it tries pulling to the left suddenly TC cuts throttle and VSC, ABS engages to keep the car from totally pulling to the left
7. I never noticed it when I test drove twice, it happened about a week later I live in a somewhat hilly area but they re-did the roads not too long ago where I live, so smooth roads.
8. The only sounds I hear I believe is the VSC trying to keep the car strait and today I noticed a like pop like sound when turning so I'm guessing it has to be some type of joint
Yeah, I agree. Can't really tell more than that until you can inspect it. Let us know what it winds up being.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bad alignment.

Happened to me after I replaced my rear LCAs -- Didn't really feel it under 20mph, but driving the 10 miles to my alignment shop was the most terrifying experience I've had on the road, as the BRZ would yank left every few seconds over 50 mph. Traction control would go haywire when navigating a mild righthand sweeper.

Everything was perfect after getting rid of the INCH of TOE in the rear.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You have toe-out in the rear. Or a bushing so bad that toe is changing on the fly depending on suspension loads, thats all there is to it I think.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
dhuang (09-06-2019), Spuds (09-06-2019)
Old 09-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #20
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My wife's is doing this. Her's is a 2018 model BRZ and everything basically describes her symptoms. I had an alignment done, which was helpful, but still didn't get rid of the sudden jerk left at anything above 30mph while turning left. Higher speeds are hella scary. Seems like when there is a bump too, the car wants to jump left.

From what i can tell, everything looks normal up front (but then again, I'm no suspension guru). The craziest part is that one of the bolts that was holding the knuckle to the shock was gone (so replaced that and took a test drive, and nothing changed, except a clunk is now gone hahaahha). So yeah, kinda scary crap.

Any other thoughts on what bushing or where to check certain things? I feel like it totally happens when the car's weight shifts to that corner on a left turn-- then it dives.
2013 Firestorm FR-S, Kraftwerks C38 kit, FT-86 UEL Catted Headers, TRD D-Tip cat-back, Vibrant 1140 Resonator, Exedy Stage 1 Normal/smoother clutch that replaced the Stage 2 3-puck clutch, Exedy Lightweight flywheel, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft, TEIN springs on performance package Sachs dampers, Megan Racing Inner tie rods, 17x8 +35 Enkei Silver RPF1's, OS-Giken 1.5-way diff, J-Luth steering wheel and now a GKTech angle kit-- which rubs.
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #21
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Post the alignment ^

And did you get the alignment before or after you replaced the bolt?
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Project N64 (09-17-2020)

Tags
frs steering help issue