follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
EB86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GT86 vs GT86

Hi

Long term lurker

Great site with endless topics to view.

A small video of myself and another GT86 at Bedford Autodrome in the UK.

Track temps are low and we aren't chasing each other too aggressively as we have to drive home afterwards. Cars are pretty similar apart from age.

Any tips on improvements to driving always more than welcome, as seat time is everything.

I have upgraded discs and pads since the track day and will be changing out the tyres after the next track day at Silverstone. Tor Brake duct mode ready

not sure if this is the correct way to post a YT video
EB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
CSPTK

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Nice line and smooth inputs. Id suggest incrementally upping entry speeds until you're fighting to make the apex. Decreasing braking points, and keeping both hands on the wheel until you really need to shift. Baby steps here, nice easy student!

Also, no need to gawk after the point-by :-)
CSPTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
EB86

Thanks for your help, upping the speed is the hardest part, I did noticed after watching the video back, the car in front was quicker in some places at entry, but it never seems like on the day until you watch it back. Videos offer so much that you don't see in the heat of the moment. I did tend to ease off before braking as I wouldn't want to collect another GT86 on entry, perhaps I will do a couple of laps on my own at Silverstone without the worry of another GT86 close by

Will try on next day to increase entry speed and later braking.

Not sure I understand "Also, no need to gawk after the point-by :-)" I think its lost in translation. Do you mean staring at the drivers we pass?? Or have I completely misunderstood
Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB86 View Post
Not sure I understand "Also, no need to gawk after the point-by :-)" I think its lost in translation. Do you mean staring at the drivers we pass?? Or have I completely misunderstood
I think he's saying politely to keep your eyes up and head forward
Seems good, what tires are you running? It seems like your brakes work well enough as you can lock the tires so I'd look at better grip maybe. The braking zones are where you're losing out.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
CSPTK

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB86 View Post

Exactly :-D The etiquette from the drivers being passed is high, and clear (directionals can sometimes be confusing - "is he moving right with the right directional or is he telling me to pass on right?"...those types of scenarios. But he was tracked out all the way to the right so just head forward, make the pass decisively before the next corner, and look for the next victim (ahead).

Check the mirrors on the straights and try to determine if someone faster is gaining on you. The faster guys will learn you have great awareness (if you see the same people at multiple events) if you time your point-by's so neither of you lose momentum. This will payoff as you gain speed and confidence and you start passing much faster cars since even with 200hp, we drive "momentum" cars.
CSPTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
EB86

Thanks I get it now.

I was giving a thumbs up to each person as I passed as a thanks for moving over. But perhaps I should just concentrate on my driving, i'm too polite.

Tyres were normal Primacy HP on the day and and at the end of the stint it was moving around and the brakes we just starting to get a different feel and after I stopped pad deposit were in several places on the discs. I purchased Hawkes and PFC pads with DBA discs and the next track is easier on brakes so I should be fine.

Thank you for the feedback, will see how I get on at the next track day!