follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Side markers

Hi Guys,

Is it Ok to get the genuine Toyota clear side markers (SU003-2538, left ; SU003-2539, right) from Europe? I do not think but want to be on the safe side. Is there any difference between US vs EU regarding the look and fit ?

In addition, a nice bright amber bulb for the side markers

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
At ~$35 per marker, you're better off getting a pair of Helix clear side markers. The EU OEM markers will likely fit fine, but I doubt they're DOT certified. The Helix side markers are. For bulbs I've used Diode Dynamics for LED replacements on my last 4 cars and have no complaints.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Busybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
At ~$35 per marker, you're better off getting a pair of Helix clear side markers. The EU OEM markers will likely fit fine, but I doubt they're DOT certified. The Helix side markers are. For bulbs I've used Diode Dynamics for LED replacements on my last 4 cars and have no complaints.

Since this is my first car in US, never thought about the DOT! You right. But what about the the parts that are coming directly from Japan? Or the ones from speedfactory? Are they certified ?

Thanks in advance.

Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I call BS on the Helix markers being DOT.
1. The United States Department of Transportation is not an approval agency and will not approve products. In the past, USDOT has sternly warned manufacturers that claim that their products are "DOT approved;" the correct language is "DOT compliant."

In the US and Canada, lighting products are certified by the lighting manufacturer as compliant, and unless the certification is "clearly erroneous," the certification will stand. The reputable manufacturer will state that its products are "designed to conform" to the elements of the FMVSS-108 requirements.

Some of the misuse of terminology stems from the fact that there are three products that must be marked with the "DOT" symbol: headlights, replaceable bulbs for headlights and reflective tape.

2. Front side markers are amber in the USA. PERIOD. Anything else is 100% illegal.
And when I say amber, I mean the actual lens is amber, NOT just the bulb.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-10-2019), soundman98 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Busybee

What about all those with the clear side marker cover and amber led? Is it checke during inspection? Can we use them until someone stops and asks us to change it ?
Thanks

Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
ScoobsMcGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Since this is my first car in US, never thought about the DOT! You right. But what about the the parts that are coming directly from Japan? Or the ones from speedfactory? Are they certified ?

Thanks in advance.

If the part is intended for another market (e.g. JDM STI side markers on speedfactory's site) it's unlikely to be US DOT certified. Helix are, and you can see the "DOT" stamped on the outside in some images. Not sure on GCS. That said, depending upon where you take it to be inspected and local laws, many shops won't care. You'll run the risk of failing inspection or a fix-it ticket from a cop having a bad day, but it isn't a guarantee of either.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
ScoobsMcGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
I call BS on the Helix markers being DOT.
1. The United States Department of Transportation is not an approval agency and will not approve products. In the past, USDOT has sternly warned manufacturers that claim that their products are "DOT approved;" the correct language is "DOT compliant."

In the US and Canada, lighting products are certified by the lighting manufacturer as compliant, and unless the certification is "clearly erroneous," the certification will stand. The reputable manufacturer will state that its products are "designed to conform" to the elements of the FMVSS-108 requirements.

Some of the misuse of terminology stems from the fact that there are three products that must be marked with the "DOT" symbol: headlights, replaceable bulbs for headlights and reflective tape.

2. Front side markers are amber in the USA. PERIOD. Anything else is 100% illegal.
And when I say amber, I mean the actual lens is amber, NOT just the bulb.
Closeup of the Helix where you can see the DOT stamp. I don't know if it is on there illegitimately or not, but after having them on my car through four inspections, have never had an issue. I do have amber bulbs.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Closeup of the Helix where you can see the DOT stamp. I don't know if it is on there illegitimately or not, but after having them on my car through four inspections, have never had an issue. I do have amber bulbs.

Unfortunately yeah, its 100% BS.
But also like you said, whether or not your local area actually gives a shit is a whole other story.

But yeah OP.
TLDR; Anything other than a replacement amber one is gonna be illegal to use on the raods in the USA.

Weather or not you actually get ticketed or not is dependent on cops/inspections in your area.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-10-2019), soundman98 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
just get smoke tint overlays...its like what $5? Really cleaned up the look on my car.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
ScoobsMcGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
What about all those with the clear side marker cover and amber led? Is it checke during inspection? Can we use them until someone stops and asks us to change it ?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Unfortunately yeah, its 100% BS.
But also like you said, whether or not your local area actually gives a shit is a whole other story.

But yeah OP.
TLDR; Anything other than a replacement amber one is gonna be illegal to use on the raods in the USA.

Weather or not you actually get ticketed or not is dependent on cops/inspections in your area.
Was going to let this go, but there actually is a worthwhile point to make on it. In addition to most shops likely won't care.

Check your local laws. Turns out the inspection laws in PA are most certainly different than HI (I only checked PA laws), and would be in MA. They may also be up to interpretation by the shop which is performing the inspection. Don't take the word of two putzes on the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Busybee (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
just get smoke tint overlays...its like what $5? Really cleaned up the look on my car.
any alteration to any lighting assembly from how it came from the OEM is illegal, per Federal Vehicle Safety Standards, section 108.

i've looked into it in depth for ways around it, the only legal way is to become a supplier with a manufacturing facility.

the laws on lighting are just as stringent as the laws on emissions control systems. reading through some of the regulations, you'd start to think that a single rogue ray of light out of a light assembly was responsible for mass murdering an entire village of children.

basically, if the cops want to hassle you, a single altered housing is enough to really screw up your life.

so don't do anything stupid.
Busybee (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #12
DCStorm

Drives: 2013 FR-S (RIP), 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Or you can just move to a state that doesn’t do silly car inspections lol

Go get some green side markers for all I care lol it’s a side marker
DCStorm is offline   Reply With Quote