follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Anagonda

Drives: Hachiroku -17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FI a 86 in Japan, what to use?

I'm having a bit of struggle so would like to hear your comments and ideas.

I am originally from Finland and now I live in Japan. Current plan is to move back to Finland in July/2019
My japanese is still very poor, so I cannot communicate in japanese. This makes everything a big challenge.

I bought a 86 MY17 as new. Car has currently about 1200km on it. I have to sell the car before I move back to Finland.
Japan is RHD and Finland is LHD and I have to pay big tax(maybe close to 15k usd) if I import the car to Finland. I'm not ready for that.

The car is very nice to drive but would like to have more power.
As I have to sell the car in about one year, I would like to use as little as possible money on the FI tuning.
Specs
I hope to be closer to 300whp and under 5k usd price.
Easy to install, I'm handy and will install it by myself. But I don't have garage or a lift.
Easy to revert back to original.

First I was looking at HKS supercharger. Ok priced in Japan and you can buy it easily.
I know the reliability issues with the charger, but I would only drive it one year.
But then it came to my mind that to fully use the supercharger I would need to upgrade the headers etc. HKS list is long and expensive.
And I noticed from the installation manual that you have to modify the belt bearing assembly and you probably cannot revert back to original? Is this true?
Anyone running HKS charger with other stock parts. How much whp do you have?

So I started to look at turbo kits, because they would already have the headers(most of the times). And quite easy to revert back to original NA.
Problem is I can only find Greddy/Blitz or Avo turbokits from Japan.

I like the AVO most, but the price is quite high. As the Japanese kit puts out only 230whp.
This is about 2k usd more than the HKS supercharger. And about 5k usd alone, no money left for anything else.
Maybe I will contact AVO directly and ask why Japan is so low and what is needed for more output.
But the AVO will not need any modifications that you cannot revert?

Then the Greddy
It is cheaper than AVO and they promise 265whp. But I dont seem to find do you need anything extra than the turbokit to get to 265whp.
One thing is that for this kit you need to weld the oil pan. I don't have a welder so would need to find some one to do it, not easy(language barrier)!
And you need to modify the crash beam. I haven't found anything like "drift bar" from Japan to replace the crash beam and fit the intercooler.
I know the safety risk, but I'm ok with it if I can revert back to orignal when I want.
There is no turning back if I modify the oil pan and crash beam. Does not sound as a good option at all. I'm not ready to sell a car with cut crash beam.

So do you know any other kits that can be bought in Japan? Forum is full of very nice SC and Turbo kits which are not badly prices compared to quality.
But they can not be bought from Japan, or the shipping is very expensive!
Or any other comments what to do? HKS, Avo or Greddy?
I'm going in between to FI or not, as I know I need to sell in one year. Is it worth the money and time.
When I drive the car I feel it is worth it.
But while I'm watching TV I feel not as I have better use for the money.
Anagonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:36 AM   #2
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
HKS has a turbo kit at TAS2018.

I’m not sure of the release date. Might be worth asking.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:49 AM   #3
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you have to resell it in a year, I'm not sure going FI is worth it, but that aside, maybe stay away from anything that requires trimming of parts like the GReddy (radiator fan shroud). That said, if you go with their kit, SBD (Speed By Design) sells a similar version of their kit and has prewelded oil pans, and crash bars that are meant to work with it. I think you can buy them separately but contact them for more information. Also, their kit is cheaper but it doesn't comply with strict Japanese requirements such as the high flow cat included with the GReddy kit, so I'm only recommending them for the extra parts in your specific case.

My personal favorite for a clean revert to full stock system is the Edelbrock Supercharger, but shipping and tuning may be an issue for you unless you go with a US based tuner, as their system is going to basically be completely unknown to Japan. Same with the Jackson Racing Supercharger.

Remember you need a tuning solution like ECUtek and a tune, so add about $1000 to your cost.

Hope this helps a little bit. I'm not super familiar with the HKS kit so I won't speak to it. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #4
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Just FYI, as far as I can tell, HKS doesn't make the version 3 kit for domestic use at all. You're limited to the version 2 kit (12001-AT009), again probably due to Japanese requirements. Hirano Tire seems to have it at a good price but they're in Tokyo, so that's a bit of a hike from anywhere in Ishikawa.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #5
Anagonda

Yes, I have to sell the car, but my plan was to revert back to original before sale.
This way I can use what ever parts as I dont need to take the car for bi annual inspection.

Actually I have been reading the sbd kit and it looks like a good and easy kit with pre welded oil pan. Have to consider this.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
I do like SBD but like I said, it doesn't conform to Japanese standards, but if you're not worried about inspection or anything then it doesn't matter. GReddy's install guide is the same BTW and I know they'll ship SBD anywhere. There is minor trimming of the radiator fan shroud.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
To be honest, if you live in japan, Just go with HKS? Their customer service is no joke if you live in japan.

Wait for their new turbo kit if you want.

I would say just ask a friend who is fluent in japanese to help you there?

You know there is a reason why japanese doesn't need to even come here for any info & you can just install anything at any area 86... or even all different shops. Just grab a hyper rev & shot away with all the shop tel#s. Thou I admit Ishikawa is kind remote..... so it might be very different then the major cities.

Last edited by chaoskaze; 01-23-2018 at 02:10 PM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
I'd probably also lean toward the HKS. I wouldn't wait for the turbo though, given your time restrictions and the fact that the community hasn't run it through the ringer yet.

Honestly I'd stick to local stuff so that you can get proper local support if you need it.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 AM   #9
Anagonda

HKS sounds like ok, but instructions say that you need to modify the belt bearing bracket. It looks like there is no way to revert to old NA form after you modify it. Any one have experience?

I haven't found any information how much whp HKS gives if you keep the exhaust stock. Just thinking to use the blower kit and their fuel kit. This should give with full exhaust about the 300whp mark. But upgrading the exhaust is expensive. As I cannot find any cheap alternatives from Japan. HKS full exhaust is about 3k usd!

With HKS there is a small possibility I can sell the car with the kit. With SBD or similar non japanese I cannot sell the car with the kit. But I think I might get better price if I sell the FI parts alone.
Very hard questions to decide in my head... One year flies so I'm not ready to "loose" a lot of money to drive 9 months in nice weather with a bit faster car. You should always do your decissions while you are drunk!