follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
My Bad

I'd check the preload collars on the coil overs too. They like to work loose, especially the fronts. I have to check mine fairly regularly.
I have to keep the coilovers from spinning to fully tighten that top hate nut, right?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
I have to keep the coilovers from spinning to fully tighten that top hate nut, right?
Yes.

I am talking about the pre load collars which tighten the spring though. If there is not enough tension on the spring it could becoming slightly unseated when it comes unloaded and it will make a pop. A quick way to check it is to jack up the car and pull of the wheels, and grab the spring and shake it.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #17
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have similar pop/creak as at the beginning of video when you turn into garage, but more so when I do low speed/parked steering wheel cranking left and right. Its in the exact same spot every time. I dont believe its happening over bumps going straight over, maybe slightly.
I went to my alignement shop and the mechanic checked everything, coilovers, endlinks, suspicion for subframe bolts... He recommended I visit dealership for alternative opinion, he suspects the noise comes from steering rack/column and it "echoes"/vibrates the vibration into an area closer to wheels, that's why it sounds a bit "misleading", in my case I was damn sure its in driver side footwell/wheel area.

Last year, I had a "clunk" over bumps, so mecanic confirmed my bearings are shot,so we replaced stock ones out with STI Group N rubber ones, just barely 5k ago.

That's all I got for now. I tried searching forums, but its a bit hard finding threads about this particular issue via word search. Not everyone posts videos. I can try shoot my video to share for reference.

Here is what I think is same noise as yours and mine:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124420
- the guy says ended up being bad strut mount, so replaced his strut???

Unconfirmed sound, because video is dead:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107615
- "a loose/faulty link in the steering column"

Found no-video/audio thread where TS replaced strut.
While another person in same threa confirmed his case was sway-bar bushing...

Fun

Last edited by df.dima; 06-11-2019 at 12:52 AM.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to df.dima For This Useful Post:
Rybot (06-11-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #18
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I had a popping noise when backing out of my driveway and turning. The popping noise happens then immediately after once I turn the wheel the other way and start going forward. I checked sway bar endlinks, checked smooth rotation of the sway bar in the bushings and checked that the bolts for the steering rack were tight.

Just as a goof I loosened the rack (took a breaker bar, so the bolts were snug) and then retorqued them to 89 ft-lbs. They definitely where not that tight and when I drove the car next the sound was gone. So they don't have to be loose to make a pop-pop-pop sound.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote