follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
g0odspeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphault
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My 2013 FR-S Suspension Upgrade

To get things started on the FRS modifications I went with the TRD lowering springs. Not a bad way to drop 1" if you don't care about fender gaps. After I put the rims on I started to not like the stance that the car had and wanted to upgrade once again. Typical Tuner issues right?

Out of all the products out there, some cheap and some expensive, we could go round and round about who or what is better. How they do verses how we do and so forth. I myself decided to go with Megan Racing. I had used several of their products back in the early 2000's when I had my 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I was pretty pleased with the results then and assumed that their products could only be getting better as the years went by. I managed to find some killer deals that I just couldn't pass up. Soon I started collecting parts and decided that I could stand it anymore. It was time for Installation. Below are pics of my install.

Image 1: Megan Racing Rear Trailing Arms. Yes they are pink. Easy and simple to install. Make sure to reuse the bracket plate to hold the brake lines when using these. Bolts on like stock. Image 2 shows the trailing arm in place and the brake line in the bracket.

Image 3: Megan Racing Rear Lower Tie Bar Brace. Again very simple to install. I recommend that your only remove one side at a time to put this in. You don't have to tighten the bolt all the way on the first side, but just get it threaded back into position before taking the other side apart. It probably doesn't matter, but its better to be safe.

Image 4: Megan Racing Rear Diff Mount Support Arm. This was a little trickier than the first couple parts. It is a simple bolt on part, but you need to support the differential with a jack when removing the bolts. This part adds two more bolt locations. One on each side of the existing 3. Its much easier to position the driver side bolt if you have the control arm removed. In my case I was changing it out so I put the last bolt in when I had the control arm removed. You can get the passenger side in relatively easy, but if your going to change the control arms then wait until then.

Image 5: Megan Racing Rear Lower Control Camber Arms. Now this started the fun part. My brother had bought me NeoTuned sway bars and I had Megan Racing EZ street coil overs to install as well. This was the time to do all at once. Everything is bolted to the control arms and it makes the most sense to do at the same time. The rear sway bar went in no problem. I still want to upgrade the rear links, but it's really not necessary unless you really want to spend the money. I lined up the control arms as close to stock as I could get them and installed the new arms. I only had to get a couple miles down the road to the alignment shop.

Image 6: Shows the only really issue I faced when installing all these parts. The front sway bar had to be drilled out to fit the stock links. The coil overs came with adjustable links for the front and have the same mounting bolt diameter as stock. The issue was only with the sway bar as I'm sure this is a production mistake. They would need to be drilled even if using stock. Great product but you will need to drill out the front if you go with NeoTuned.

Image 7: I would recommend purchasing camber adjustable top hats for the front if you go with the EZ Street edition. After original install, which uses the stock front mounts, I bought these to have some adjustability at the alignment shop.

Overall review of these items: After a 4wheel alignment I cant complain at all. The car drives and handles so much better. The stance is much more appealing and looks great. Megan Racing exceeded the expectations I had for their products and I'm already looking to add more of their items to my suspension when possible. Megan does offer a front lower control arm that has camber adjustment , but they are 500 bones. The camber plates are MK1 and are only about 140. A much more cost efficient way to adjust the front camber. Anyways, thanks for the read. Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade and or do their own install.
Attached Images

Last edited by g0odspeed; 10-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.
g0odspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g0odspeed For This Useful Post:
CodyFRS (09-27-2017), In1t (11-20-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
RWD-RedBeard

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks GOodspeed for the write up!! I went a different way with my set up but this write up is excellent. I wish people did write ups like this off the bat so it would answer a lot of questions without having to ask. Keep em coming Bro!!
RWD-RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWD-RedBeard For This Useful Post:
g0odspeed (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
OMG WHY WOULD YOU BUY CHEAP COILS?!?!? Your ride is going to suck!!!!1!!111

On a more serious note, i had cheap coils when I first got my car, then upgraded to nicer coils, with swift springs even and I haven't noticed a huge difference.

Good to see you're happy with everything and it was a decent write up. Definitely go in depth with the suspension once you've had it on for a bit.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD-RedBeard View Post
Thanks GOodspeed for the write up!! I went a different way with my set up but this write up is excellent. I wish people did write ups like this off the bat so it would answer a lot of questions without having to ask. Keep em coming Bro!!

Glad to do it. I'll be doing one for my turbo install soon. Waiting on a few more parts...
Old 11-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
In1t

Drives: Black Limited JDM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great review, dude! Are you happy with their lower control arms? I'm planning to buy ones as they twice cheaper than Cusco.
In1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
g0odspeed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by In1t View Post
Great review, dude! Are you happy with their lower control arms? I'm planning to buy ones as they twice cheaper than Cusco.
Oh yeah man... I'm really happy with the whole setup. Impressed with the quality for the price. I hope you enjoy them as well.