follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front aerodynamics... need help!

I need some input from anyone who's got some expertise on aerodynamics.

I've been looking at various bodykits with the goal of increasing front downforce in mind. Want something functionally-minded, but as this is my daily driver I don't want something *too* race-track ready (i.e. a big front-diffuser jutting out, getting caught on curbs and speedbumps and driveways).

So I was excited when I saw the Vertex Japan kit, as it seemed to be clean, not over-the-top, but still provide surface area to affect downforce. Then I noticed the middle section of the front-lip...

Now, is it just me, or does it seem like that section will cause the front end to lift, rather than hunker down? That was my thinking, anyway... so I dismissed it as just another kit that was putting style ahead of substance.

But then I started noticing other kits with that same sort of upturned middle section, notably the Garage Vary kit...

...and the Rocket Bunny kit...

So here's my question: is there some secret to the aerodynamics on the FR-S/ 86 body that makes this upward-deflection area a good idea? And if so, can somebody explain it to me why? Best I can come up with is that it might speed up air flowing under the car, therefore creating low-pressure and drawing the entire vehicle down. But if that's the case, would our cars need the under-panels that are present on the JDM model GT-Limiteds to make this effective?

Thanks in advance for any help...
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Do some research on flat underbody panels. It may yield valuable information for you that will help you with this.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Do some research on flat underbody panels. It may yield valuable information for you that will help you with this.
So you're saying that these, err... plow-sections? (don't know what else to call them)... on the front-lip kits smoothen out the air flowing under the car?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage Revolution has a functional front lip for the 86. Given their presence in the WTAC, I don't doubt their claim that it actually works.

http://revo-tune.jp/catalogue/detail.php?id=303
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
Garage Revolution has a functional front lip for the 86. Given their presence in the WTAC, I don't doubt their claim that it actually works.

http://revo-tune.jp/catalogue/detail.php?id=303
Okay, so that's a fourth one using that sort of style, so there's got to be some very important reason behind it. Now, can anybody explain to me what that is? Cause my brain keeps trying to tell me that's just going to result in front-end lift.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Drives: '23 CWP BRZ
Thanked 1,126 Times in 533 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Just buy some canards
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Your best bet is going to be getting a front splitter with some canards. After that I would recommend a flat underbody - I believe you can now get that imported from Japan. Lastly, look into getting a diffuser. For all intensive purposes, the front splitter would be your best best on getting more downforce.

Additionally, lowering the car also gives you more downforce, though it is not that substantial.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
QFry

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive) ...so yes...it looks as if the part in question acts just like an upside down airplanes wing to create downforce...

Edit: http://www.rapid-racer.com/aerodynamic-upgrades.php BTW i hate this thread its 30 minutes later and im still researching this info just because...
2013 Argento FR-S -> Lots of random PlastiDip, UNIChip Custom Tune, aFe Takeda Intake, Nameless Performance front pipe and axle back exhaust, Motegi MR125 7.5x17, Rally Armour mud flaps, Gloss black vinyl roof, ACT street clutch and flywheel,Whiteline bushings; Kartboy Shortshifter and shift bushing

Last edited by QFry; 10-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.
QFry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QFry For This Useful Post:
TuxedoCartman (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
As you assumed earlier, air will be moving faster underneath the car with correctly designed front lips and under body panels. Think of an airplane wing, or airfoil. Air moves faster on top of the wing and slower below. Slower air below, means higher pressure under the wing, thus causing lift. The intentions of the front lip and under panels is the exact opposite, thus creating higher pressure on top of the car which is your desired downforce.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsibarra For This Useful Post:
ImAwesome (10-24-2012), TuxedoCartman (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFry View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive) ...so yes...it looks as if the part in question acts just like an upside down airplanes wing to create downforce...

Edit: http://www.rapid-racer.com/aerodynamic-upgrades.php BTW i hate this thread its 30 minutes later and im still researching this info just because...
LOL... well, you've been helpful enough that I can turn this into another "Umm... should I buy this car now, or wait?" or "I think the FR-S can beat the Veyron on a curvy enough track!" threads, if it'll make you feel better! :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsibarra View Post
As you assumed earlier, air will be moving faster underneath the car with correctly designed front lips and under body panels. Think of an airplane wing, or airfoil. Air moves faster on top of the wing and slower below. Slower air below, means higher pressure under the wing, thus causing lift. The intentions of the front lip and under panels is the exact opposite, thus creating higher pressure on top of the car which is your desired downforce.
Okay... so it really isn't just a case of weird aesthetics; the folks designing these front lips actually DO know what they're doing, and its just the 86's particular aerodynamics that mean its more effective to have that little upturned center on the lip. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that! So you'd reckon that, for maximum effectiveness of the front-lip, I should go ahead and order the under-panels as well?

Thanks guys! A million threads on suspension and exhaust mods, but aero gets treated like some sort of voodoo black magic on here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
pward08 (03-23-2018), QFry (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
QFry

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
as far as ordering the under panels...i plan on getting some sintra board or similar and making my own under trays...should be cheaper and work exactly the same...
2013 Argento FR-S -> Lots of random PlastiDip, UNIChip Custom Tune, aFe Takeda Intake, Nameless Performance front pipe and axle back exhaust, Motegi MR125 7.5x17, Rally Armour mud flaps, Gloss black vinyl roof, ACT street clutch and flywheel,Whiteline bushings; Kartboy Shortshifter and shift bushing
QFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Okay... so it really isn't just a case of weird aesthetics; the folks designing these front lips actually DO know what they're doing, and its just the 86's particular aerodynamics that mean its more effective to have that little upturned center on the lip. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that! So you'd reckon that, for maximum effectiveness of the front-lip, I should go ahead and order the under-panels as well?

Thanks guys! A million threads on suspension and exhaust mods, but aero gets treated like some sort of voodoo black magic on here.
No problem , BUT i'm assuming not all aftermarket companies actually test their prototypes in wind tunnels, which can mean some may be purely aesthetic.

IIRC, lengthening a body behind it's leading edge reduces the separation (of air flow) and should help with creating a more slip stream body.. So, by adding under body panels this should lengthen the surface of usable area behind the lip to prevent this phenomena from occuring. The Less turbulent air under the car means lower pressure underneath the car meaning your additional downforce.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I need some input from anyone who's got some expertise on aerodynamics.

I've been looking at various bodykits with the goal of increasing front downforce in mind. Want something functionally-minded, but as this is my daily driver I don't want something *too* race-track ready (i.e. a big front-diffuser jutting out, getting caught on curbs and speedbumps and driveways).

So I was excited when I saw the Vertex Japan kit, as it seemed to be clean, not over-the-top, but still provide surface area to affect downforce. Then I noticed the middle section of the front-lip...

Now, is it just me, or does it seem like that section will cause the front end to lift, rather than hunker down? That was my thinking, anyway... so I dismissed it as just another kit that was putting style ahead of substance.

But then I started noticing other kits with that same sort of upturned middle section, notably the Garage Vary kit...

...and the Rocket Bunny kit...

So here's my question: is there some secret to the aerodynamics on the FR-S/ 86 body that makes this upward-deflection area a good idea? And if so, can somebody explain it to me why? Best I can come up with is that it might speed up air flowing under the car, therefore creating low-pressure and drawing the entire vehicle down. But if that's the case, would our cars need the under-panels that are present on the JDM model GT-Limiteds to make this effective?

Thanks in advance for any help...
All of that air under the car looks like a bad idea to me.
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Air is going under there whether you like it or not. There is only so much air you can block/deflect. But, if you can speed it up you can use the air more effectively.

I'm in no way an expert, hell, I can't make a paper airplane that flies straight, but watched a great, two hour long, aerodynamics video a few years ago, fasinating and informative. James May would've loved it. Could I find it in a google search?? Nope... Grrrrr. Sorry, I tried

Check out most supercars, lots of them have it too. The McLaren F1 was born in the wind tunnel. Gordon Murray wanted air to go down the middle.
Attached Images

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote