follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
brz11b

Drives: United States
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Do yourself a favor and grab the DW next time if you like your contis! A summer tire will do a better job evacuating water and gripping. As long as your car doesn't see snow or freezing temps, it'll be a way better choice.
Thats what i plan on doing. I've heard good things about the dw tires. I never see snow so it will probably be a better tire choice for me.
brz11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz11b View Post
Thats what i plan on doing. I've heard good things about the dw tires. I never see snow so it will probably be a better tire choice for me.
In order of most to least aggressive, my favorite tires on a lightly modified to stock 86:

PSS>S-04>DW>V12

The PSS and S-04 are very close, with the DW being a bit better than the V12, but those two tires definitely being in different classes from the PSS and S-04.

Unless you're trying to keep it driving JUST LIKE stock, a V12, or DW are one of the best performance upgrades on this car for 'pretty much stock'
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
LenA (09-03-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
On an Evo, I tried 2 different all seasons. DWS and Bridgestone RE970AS. The Bridgestones had much better feel and traction in corners. Heavier, but it seems that extra weight helps with support. I'd easily buy those again if I wanted an AS. Since then though I've been buying summer tires for one set of wheels and winter tires for another set.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Ultimately, you're all right. If I want to maximize performance through summer and winter, I should go with two sets...or even three, if I want a dedicated track set, but here I am looking for something I can use all year from one set....summer, winter and the occasional track day. I did think about MPSS, but the comments about them turning into skates at freezing temperatures was not an option.

Thanks for all the replies...truly appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #19
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
I have the conti DW on my WRX for summer and conti winter contact for winter here in NY. The DW is a great tire but I will be going with the PSS next time because the DW sidewall is a bit soft and you lose some turn in.

The DWS is a very good performance all season. If you see snow it will work fine, not as good as snows but you will get home.

If you are someone who needs every inch of performance you have to do summer/winter. If it's a DD and most of the time you are just getting from A to B than the DWS will be fine. If you never see snow or cold temps, the DW is better than the DWS.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you're set on an all season, also consider the Michelin A/S 3+.

I have the MPSS as a daily driver, and I'll probably go with the DW next time. The MPSS sidewall is pretty firm, which is great for performance, but not so great for general ride comfort.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #21
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you're set on an all season, also consider the Michelin A/S 3+.

I have the MPSS as a daily driver, and I'll probably go with the DW next time. The MPSS sidewall is pretty firm, which is great for performance, but not so great for general ride comfort.
You definitely will feel the difference. But if it's mostly a DD, the DW is great. When I first went to the DW I had to set the pressure at 38 to help with the soft sidewall. But I got used to it and do like it. As much as we want to be race car drivers, most of the time we are just driving.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
makesdrivingfunagain (09-02-2016), paiceyfan (08-19-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
paiceyfan

Garage
Not had time to fully test these, but they will need to bed in and then I will know whether I like them or not. Some have said they are difficult to balance, these seem ok right now. I did get the back end to step out and it was progressive. They do seem to feel the road a little too much, but they are new.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #23
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
So, is there a difference between DWS and DWS06?

Not a true apples to apples comparison since they are on different cars, but I have the DWS on my BRZ and the DWS-06 on our Focus ST. They feel like completely different tires. The DWS on the BRZ have pretty soft sidewalls, and pretty good dry traction for an all-season tire, and good traction in the winter and wet as well. One of the better all-season tires I've had, but nothing I am overly impressed with.

The DWS-06 on our Focus ST have awesome dry traction, feeling like they have better dry grip than a lot of summer tires I've been on (including the stock summer tires on the FoST), the sidewall feels a little stiffer than the DWS, and they still have very good wet and winter traction. I'm truly blown away, didn't know an all-season tire could be this good.

I've also had the Discount Tire version of the DWS tire, I believe it is called the ControlContact Sport AS on my wife's old Fusion, and they were pretty good, although they felt closer to the DWS than the DWS-06.

Not sure that I'd buy the DWS again, but the DWS-06 is going to be my go-to tire in the future if I need/want an all-season tire and it is available in the size I want. I still prefer a dedicated snow tire on my primary winter vehicle (used to be a Forester, now a Wrangler), but the DWS and -06 have gotten us through occasional snow use the last winter or two with no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miniata For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #24
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
You definitely will feel the difference. But if it's mostly a DD, the DW is great. When I first went to the DW I had to set the pressure at 38 to help with the soft sidewall. But I got used to it and do like it. As much as we want to be race car drivers, most of the time we are just driving.

I have the Yokohama Advan Neovas 225/50/16 a great autocross/track tire and not the best daily driver in socal traffic/straight freeways and street commute. If it was a canyon or similar commute it would be a bit different. Truly a marvelous autocross tire and I love it. I went from driving on the stock tires and rims to the 225/50/16 Extreme Contanct DW and it was signifigantly more comfortable ride and had way more traction as well. I then started autocrossing and didn't want excuses for slower times so went with the Yokohamas. I paid for it in the street with the harsh ride. I have done 1 year with the DW and 1 year with the Yokohamas ad 1 year with the stocks daily driving on the same roads. Best street combination by FAR was the DW. I am looking forward to putting them back on this Fall. They also will last along time in comparison to the extreme summer tires and they are 2lbs lighter than the Yokohamas. Both a good choice for this car and truly wakes this up even more..! Once again I am looking forward to putting these back on for my daily driver.

Sincerely,

Ryan
2013 FR-S, AT, Braille 15lb battery, 16x7 Wedsport SA15R w 205/55/16 Continental Extreme Contact Sport, TRD drop in airfilter, TRD spring and TRD swaybars, TRD exhaust, TRD Brake Pads,4:56gear, 2740lbs
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makesdrivingfunagain For This Useful Post:
LenA (09-03-2016), paiceyfan (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #25
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
In order of most to least aggressive, my favorite tires on a lightly modified to stock 86:

PSS>S-04>DW>V12

The PSS and S-04 are very close, with the DW being a bit better than the V12, but those two tires definitely being in different classes from the PSS and S-04.

Unless you're trying to keep it driving JUST LIKE stock, a V12, or DW are one of the best performance upgrades on this car for 'pretty much stock'
Yup, I have DW right now and can't wait to go back to the S04. Night and day difference imo. The DW is just sloppy in comparison.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (09-04-2016), paiceyfan (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 03:11 AM   #26
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a set of DWS06 on my car right now and love them for daily use both on dry and wet roads. I had a set of DW before these and the DWS06 is much better on wet performance. These also last quite a while since I do not track my car. I'd buy the DWS06 again when I need to until another tire in the same price bracket, performance and longevity dethrone the DWS06 from my standpoint.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
paiceyfan

Garage
Went to ORP for my track day yesterday and I have to say I am disappointed. Continuously, I was disappointed in the cornering. The back end would just slide far too easily. Maybe slightly better than the stock tires. I do understand that these are not track tires and I was compromising with AS tires, but I wanted them to be a little closer to a summer tire. Still I had great fun!

Old 09-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
Went to ORP for my track day yesterday and I have to say I am disappointed. Continuously, I was disappointed in the cornering. The back end would just slide far too easily. Maybe slightly better than the stock tires. I do understand that these are not track tires and I was compromising with AS tires, but I wanted them to be a little closer to a summer tire. Still I had great fun!

I looked back through the thread, but must have missed it. Which tire did you end up going with? The DWS or DWS-06? I noticed the DWS lose grip in the back on my BRZ a lot sooner than I'd like as well.