follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Will AI, humanoid robots or machines likely replace your job in your lifetime?
I'm too young to work, or I'm retired, so this poll doesn't apply to me 3 9.38%
I've already been replaced. I'm broke and unemployed. 1 3.13%
It will happen soon, or I'll likely retire before it does. 2 6.25%
It won't happen soon, but it might happen in my lifetime. 10 31.25%
It won't happen soon or in my lifetime, but it is inevitable. 6 18.75%
Nope. Never. What I do is just too special, even in a million years. 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #29
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
10 years in aerospace, I saw the tools that were supposed to replace me 10 years ago, 10 years later they're nowhere. My job at one point could distilled into crunching numbers and turning them into real products and geometry, clearly defined design rules and parameters that were in easily digestible spreadsheet forms before I even started doing the job, the perfectly ideal candidate for "ai automation". 10 years and some of the human written macros got more sophisticated faster and reliable, the 'ai' version is nowhere.

Every AI tool I've ever seen is a glorified goal seek, if your job is more complicated then 1 sentence you're safe. Tesla Google Apple every major auto manufacturer and a bunch of smaller companies have spent billions and billions of dollars and man hours over a decade+ to automate delivery driver with limited success. The idea that screenwriters will be replaced by chatGPT or doctors by robots (I interviewed at one of the companies that does remote surgery, seemed like a shitshow, we ended the interview early mutually) is fucking hilarious.
Maybe not screenwriters for now, but some news content is bound to soon be (or already is) written by robots. As long as there is no detailed analysis it's straightforward work. X people were injured in location XYZ due to ...
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #30
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I think a forum moderator will come sooner than later. It is fairly easy for language software to spot profanity, vulgar comments, arguing, mentioning politics, or any other forum rules. Even if the AI only got 90% of bots and trolls, the forum members can report bots and trolls, so there is a self-regulation for an AI to use as backup. If Watson can beat Ken Jennings in Jeopardy ten years ago then of course ChatGP/basic-AI could handle forums now or in the near future, given interest and a reasonable price.
Human member alone cannot define between joke or serious harassment. Do you think AI can? Yeah, general spam posts can be catch… but when are they checking? Are they checking every thread? I’m not worry about AI not know certain lingo… but opposite, how they gonna define certain types of words are allowed in certain forum? Example word “tranny” in automotive, we all understand that term meaning transmission, but current world, that word is offensive towards trans ppl. Is AI gonna keep deleting or banning everyone who didn’t know those term in certain community harsh words & apply it in other community? & where’s the fine line for that? Is AI gonna define that? It’s already hard for human to define it as is. Just like recently spammers, they’ve edit their post to add spam links. So is AI checking every new & edited posts? Also how are they defining spam link? We do link non-automotive link often time. Like you said the forum members can report bits & trolls, so there is a self-regulation for an AI to use as a backup… how can AI define snowflake member overreacting vs it’s actually breaking the forum rules? Smart members will uses that against members to get them banned.

With that said, I’ll be happy if AI can handle cleaning the forum instead of human… but just like weeds in the yard, no matter how smart AI will get, human will always find the way to outsmart em til AI restrict out rights of words.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #31
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Indolent Wank Lord will be a hard one to specify.

The burger burners will need on call techs to keep them running 24/7.
It won't be the pink slime re-fill engineer or mop motivator.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Maybe not screenwriters for now, but some news content is bound to soon be (or already is) written by robots. As long as there is no detailed analysis it's straightforward work. X people were injured in location XYZ due to ...
And who wrote the information the AI pulls from a breaking event?
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #33
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
easy, it's like mad libs.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

_____(group/collection/state/country) has ____ (verb) the ____ (location). injuries are___(amount/severity). no further information has been provided at this time, but we'll keep you attuned of any new developments. thankyou for tuning in to ____(channel information).
Old 04-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #34
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course it's reported by someone, but turning the basic facts into text (in several languages) and adding a bit of context can be done by a program, though I'd hardly call it an AI.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #35
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
this concept has been entertained and explored in the past many real-life studies involving a constant income.

the reality is that humans are lazy. no one does anything but sit around and watch the world spin without a purpose. as much as we all like the idea of not working, it does in fact give us all a purpose that we otherwise wouldn't have.

the rate of innovation would stall out at that point, as the entire basis of current society is to work to continue living, and the people that would still desire to work when they no longer need to maintain a living, will pale in comparison to the people that would simply choose not to work.
I think the Stockton study for a $500 UBI worked out really well (1).

Why are we lazy? It is built into our genes to be efficient, and what is most efficient is to lay in the sun like fat bellied lions. Once our needs are met we don't have much drive to do anything, or do we? Some studies suggest we are motivated by a drive to master things, for autonomy and for purpose (youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc). We are conditioned to work 40-60+ hour work weeks at soul-sucking jobs all our lives, so our "purpose" has been defined by others, and so when we retire, we don't know what to do with ourselves. I don't believe this would be the case for a society where people had their basic needs met, had enough surplus of money to pursue their interests, maybe had some opportunities for high incomes to be able to do more.

AI would innovate until it reached some limit of knowledge (if such a thing existed), but it wouldn't be bound by anything. It could simulate any purpose regardless of what society needed at that very instant, and it could have robots build anything it needed or perform any experiment to advance what it couldn't model/simulate.

I wonder if someday we could give AI some basic abilities and set it on a simulating path and see how fast it can go from caveman knowledge to what we have now. Would it take hours, days, weeks, months? The abilities of AI will grow slowly like we have seen with Watson, AlphaGo and ChatGP. When AlphaGo beat a human after practicing millions of games in a short time, it was pretty crazy; it was crazy not only because it won, but because it employed game strategies that had never been seen before (2). Like a baby growing to a mature adult, at some point, AI will have the mental faculties to be aware enough, and it will have abilities to calculate, remember and process data in vastly superhuman ways that what it will discover and produce is mind bogglingly surreal.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:02 PM   #36
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Your post makes voting for (far) left-wing parties the only reasonable choice, where AI and robotization is heavily regulated by enlightened individuals.

Then again, I can't recall reading utopian content where free trade and minimal state involvement were the norm. Maybe there were onto something.

In any case, as lazy as we are, we need something to look forward to, and we need to exercise our creativity / craftsmanship. Most of us wouldn't last a year in a world where you have no goals and no need to do anything. Even our literary, philosophical or artistic work has roots in the everyday struggle.
Like I just replied to Soundman, many people lack purpose beyond work because creativity, hobbies, recreational activities, etc are not their norm. They work. They go home. They eat, drink, clean. They watch some TV, and they repeat. They don't get to socialize. They don't have free time to work out. They don't have free time to learn a new language, learn to play an instrument, learn a new hobby, etc. There would be a new generation who would have no limits with their free time. They could do whatever.

This isn't a novel idea. There was a point in time when we were all farmers and hunters. There wasn't a need to specialize much. There wasn't much time for theatre, art, etc. Having free time provided opportunity for culture to flourish. That created new industries, and that allowed people to find new ways of making a living, but making a living off art is a means to an ends; it doesn't make an artist better or give them purpose.

Yes, many people would be lazy. Have you seen Wall-E? But many of us would have the time to rebuild an engine, pick up a new language, go for a walk with friends and family, etc. Our purpose would be to explore, live, experience, master what we wanted, etc.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:35 PM   #37
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Human member alone cannot define between joke or serious harassment. Do you think AI can? Yeah, general spam posts can be catch… but when are they checking? Are they checking every thread? I’m not worry about AI not know certain lingo… but opposite, how they gonna define certain types of words are allowed in certain forum? Example word “tranny” in automotive, we all understand that term meaning transmission, but current world, that word is offensive towards trans ppl. Is AI gonna keep deleting or banning everyone who didn’t know those term in certain community harsh words & apply it in other community? & where’s the fine line for that? Is AI gonna define that? It’s already hard for human to define it as is. Just like recently spammers, they’ve edit their post to add spam links. So is AI checking every new & edited posts? Also how are they defining spam link? We do link non-automotive link often time. Like you said the forum members can report bits & trolls, so there is a self-regulation for an AI to use as a backup… how can AI define snowflake member overreacting vs it’s actually breaking the forum rules? Smart members will uses that against members to get them banned.

With that said, I’ll be happy if AI can handle cleaning the forum instead of human… but just like weeds in the yard, no matter how smart AI will get, human will always find the way to outsmart em til AI restrict out rights of words.
Watson was able to beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy because it was able to interpret play on words and the nuance in human expression from sayings to innuendos. Your tranny definition would be easy because of word association, not different than what you have to do. The AI could error on deleting posts or on leaving posts until things were obvious or until people reported the posts. ChatGP wouldn't be able to write a paper if it couldn't discern the difference between common and slang definitions. AI has bested humans in chess, Go, Jeopardy, has bested doctors in diagnosing diseases and so on. I don't expect to see a product for the forum anytime super soon, but it isn't far away either.

I think your bigger issue isn't that you will be replaced, but before that, it will become increasingly difficult discerning bots from real people. They have gotten a lot better over the years. Nefarious links are easy for an AI to test and discard, but something like a scammer, that would be harder to identify and remove. Imagine an AI selling a product with a perfect CGI picture of something fake, and then getting multiple people to buy their fake product. Or something else.
ichitaka05 (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 10:04 PM   #38
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
If human eyes saw something, so too could cameras. There is a lot of news that already broke on social media via personal cameras far before an official news crew can be on scene. Even then, a robot reporter or drone could do the same job in terms of asking questions and recording video. Maybe easier and faster. In fact, it could probably stitch together a story from cell phone videos and create an identical simulated environment with a simulated CGI reporter to deliver the "On Scene" breaking news.

Have you guys seen Transcendence (2014) with Johnny Depp, or that scene when Data took over the whole starship in Star Trek: Next Generation, or Ultron in the Avengers: Age of Ultron? When an AI has access to the internet and can go through virtual walls of security at ease, it is scary how fast it could attain information. I could imagine assembling a story from the internet could be done at ease.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:07 PM   #39
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
If human eyes saw something, so too could cameras. There is a lot of news that already broke on social media via personal cameras far before an official news crew can be on scene. Even then, a robot reporter or drone could do the same job in terms of asking questions and recording video. Maybe easier and faster. In fact, it could probably stitch together a story from cell phone videos and create an identical simulated environment with a simulated CGI reporter to deliver the "On Scene" breaking news.

Have you guys seen Transcendence (2014) with Johnny Depp, or that scene when Data took over the whole starship in Star Trek: Next Generation, or Ultron in the Avengers: Age of Ultron? When an AI has access to the internet and can go through virtual walls of security at ease, it is scary how fast it could attain information. I could imagine assembling a story from the internet could be done at ease.
missing the irony though. those scenes were set in place by human script writers.

we've been imagining self-driving cars since the 1950's. V2V communication lost it's place on the spectrum a few years ago due to a lack of oem interest.
Spuds (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 10:47 PM   #40
Kittykate

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm medical support staff. Yes but not soon.
Kittykate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kittykate For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:22 PM   #41
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Watson was able to beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy because it was able to interpret play on words and the nuance in human expression from sayings to innuendos. Your tranny definition would be easy because of word association, not different than what you have to do. The AI could error on deleting posts or on leaving posts until things were obvious or until people reported the posts. ChatGP wouldn't be able to write a paper if it couldn't discern the difference between common and slang definitions. AI has bested humans in chess, Go, Jeopardy, has bested doctors in diagnosing diseases and so on. I don't expect to see a product for the forum anytime super soon, but it isn't far away either.

I think your bigger issue isn't that you will be replaced, but before that, it will become increasingly difficult discerning bots from real people. They have gotten a lot better over the years. Nefarious links are easy for an AI to test and discard, but something like a scammer, that would be harder to identify and remove. Imagine an AI selling a product with a perfect CGI picture of something fake, and then getting multiple people to buy their fake product. Or something else.
I get your pointing of Watson winning the Jeopardy… even though failed at the trivial questions, especially final question was an interesting. I would have expected trivial should be an AI’s expert topic.

AI can analyze data & may understand to certain degree (including the sentence), but they cannot critical thinking or analyze data/sentences as human can (atm). Just like AI cannot define “beauty”. AI can objectively look or read, but cannot subjectively look or read. I guess this can be said the same for human, especially in the forum or text form. Discussion is made 93% non-verbal 7% verbal. Within 93% intonation & body language are the majority of the factor. This is why miscommunication between human happen online than face-to-face. Cuz they misread or misinterpreted the sentence (depends on person’s mood).

I’m not really worry about AI selling product with perfect CGI pics of something fake. Unless it’s simple shift knob or other small parts, majority of buyer PM the seller w complicated, random question even human have hard time answering or some are pure WTF questions. If AI become that quick-wits & unique enough to answer convo like that, then prob be used for seniors &/or other solo living ppl first… but of course, spammer/hacker will use for their greed before that.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 PM   #42
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Before we get too excited about robot reporters I’ll wait for Tesla to figure out how to reliably identify open road it can drive down a constant speed at.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (04-03-2023), Spuds (04-03-2023)