follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #29
remhex

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't have any issues with mine going back in. I re-used the oem bolt and used no washers. I didn't try using the bolts supplied with the harness. The only thing I had issues with was getting it setup so the original rear seatbelt would still retract.
remhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #30
edwardl

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do not mount your harnesses like this...
edwardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #31
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardl View Post
Do not mount your harnesses like this...

Like what?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #32
edwardl

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Like what?
uneven diagonal pressure on each strap
edwardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #33
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Garage
I don't think Schroth has actually tested the BRZ for any of their ASM belts.

I have a friend that works at HMS Motorsport who drives a BRZ. If this was an "approved" fitment, you'd likely A LOT more 86's running this set up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #34
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardl View Post
uneven diagonal pressure on each strap

The Rallye 3 is designed to mount to a rear top mount, off to one side... so you're picking an argument with Schroth I think. Though I believe the angle in this car is just outside the recommended angle or some such (probably because the rear seat is barely a rear seat). Hopefully you never crash at a slight angle either, 'cause you'd have uneven diagonal pressure on each strap...

I can tell you that a ~40+mph run into a 4" gate post (popped the post right out of the ground too) with a Rallye 3 left the driver with no issues at all... meanwhile, I had really bad contusions from the OE belt (passenger seat). YMMV. But I wouldn't run it at the track or on the street (this was an autocross...)
Shark_Bait88 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #35
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
For anyone who cares to look at the actual manual these are the mounting instructions for the Rallye 3. They don't actually give a maximum belt angle but for those who think the mounting in this thread is grossly incorrect, it isn't. There are right and left side specific belts and made for the tail strap to be attached at an angle.

xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
pinoy_dorifto (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #36
JMK-007

Drives: BRZ
There are serious safety issues to consider with any 4 point or greater harness and no roll bar. God forbid, but what happens if you are in a rollover while in a fixed position and no roll bar? Just something to think about...
JMK-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMK-007 For This Useful Post:
i8ur911 (03-27-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #37
Warex

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK-007 View Post
There are serious safety issues to consider with any 4 point or greater harness and no roll bar. God forbid, but what happens if you are in a rollover while in a fixed position and no roll bar? Just something to think about...
Does anyone have any actual evidence that this is something to worry about? I have heard this argument a lot of places but haven't seen any actual evidence. This video of a Schroth quickfit the guy talks about it where he claims it's a misconception:

I don't particularly like 4pt harnesses either but Schroth is a reputable company that has made their 4pt harnesses much safer than other 4pts on the market and they actually do testing on their products. Their 4pts are DOT approved and the OP has mounted it per their specifications so i dont see how this is any less safe than the OEM 3pt
Warex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #38
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Garage
Notice how he doesn't mention Subaru at the end. Each seat needs to be tested specifically for this application and no Subaru's have been tested (it's mostly Euro cars).

Is a four point harness "safe" in a rollover?

That depends on a lot of variables, but one of the biggest is the car itself. Older cars (pre 2010...at least) did extremely poor in crash tests that focused on A-pillar pressure. NHTSA started to include this rollover type test in the last 5-10 years and a lot vehicles tested very poorly. Since then, manufactures have made a much better effort in addressing this weak point.

So, if you combine an older chassis that tested poorly with a fixed back seat and a 4pt harness, I'd say that's a recipe for disaster......roof caves in rollover accident, no give in the seat and a driver that is very securely fastened to that seat. Doesn't sound too enticing.

The only place I would ever consider a 4pt is autocross. I'd NEVER consider one on track.....especially with a fixed back seat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to i8ur911 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #39
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warex View Post
Does anyone have any actual evidence that this is something to worry about? I have heard this argument a lot of places but haven't seen any actual evidence. This video of a Schroth quickfit the guy talks about it where he claims it's a misconception:

The Quickfit Pro are made & tested for a specific seat/car. This is different from the generic Schroth Rallye 3 that are used (fitted) in the twins. I had the Quickfit Pro on my STi & have the Rallye 3 for the FRS. I’m more concerned about snapping my neck than the roof caving in.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #40
Warex

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Notice how he doesn't mention Subaru at the end. Each seat needs to be tested specifically for this application and no Subaru's have been tested (it's mostly Euro cars).
He doesn't mention Subaru at the end because they dont make a Quickfit for a Subaru but the Rallye 3 harness is meant to install in any car with suitable mounting locations. They have a list of cars that the Rallye 3 will work with but unfortunately it looks like the BRZ/FRS platform isn't on that list. SUBARU is on the list but only the Impreza chassis.

The strength of the seat is tested to make sure it can survive the load of the seatbelt because of the ~45deg angle of the shoulder straps going down to the rear seats. If the shoulder belts are mounted high enough then the seat back doesn't need to be as strong. That's why on the Subaru Impreza, the Rallye 3 harness can be installed if the shoulder straps are mounted to the higher "C" position but NOT if the straps are mounted at the lower "D" position.

But yes, in general it looks like Schroth won't recommend this harness for our cars since they haven't fully tested it. Bummer because it looks like a good solution for some people. I bet if they tested it, they would recommend it be installed just like OP did.
Warex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #41
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I bought one and installed it like the OP did, used this page as a guide too. The way it works vs the factory 3 point I trust it enough to hold me in place and do its job.

That said I have the factory harness also for street use because.. well its more comfy.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #42
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
Ive had this setup in my FRS for about about 4yrs now. Love it. I did a ton of research before buying it, and believe in the ASM tech enough to run it. Mine is mounted exactly the same way, and its terrific.

I don't use it on the street because why TF would anybody really want harnesses while cruising in traffic?

But this mounts so conveniently to stow away when not in use, and it takes like 45 seconds to get the OEM seatbelt out of the way to set this up for autoX or track.

Love it.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-17-2019)